Heinrich Schliemann Did Nothing Wrong

If it wasn't for him the academies would never have even found Troy or Mycenae.

Without the hype of those discoveries Archeology would never have become the science it is today.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#Early_20th_century
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Without the hype of those discoveries Archeology would never have become the science it is today.
Nah it was the Nazis and Indiana Jones.

>Nazi Archaeology

Has anyone ever been as BTFO as hard as the 19th Century German Academie?

1200 BC never forget.

>Implying cataloguing human biodiversity isn't incredibly important
You cultists are the reason we can't have nice things.

And to think that anthropology was once a promising objective science. Now it's practically synonymous with pseudoscience.

>Anthropology used to be filled with racist pricks.
>Now its filled by politicizing lefties
It never got a break.

Besides make that mask and pass it off as authentic?

>If it wasn't for him the academies would never have even found Troy or Mycenae.
That's really doubtful. Schliemann had absolutely terrible methods and if he managed to find them, then someone else would have. Just because he was the first to do it (at a time when the field was relatively new) doesn't mean no one else would have. Considering how obsessed early scholars were with huge discoveries and treasure, I wouldn't be surprised if without Schliemann they would have been discovered at about the same time anyway.

>Without the hype of those discoveries Archeology would never have become the science it is today.
There's no way to back that up. People have always been interested in the past, and antiquarian expeditions and excavations had been going on long before Schliemann. Even though his finds were huge, they were somewhat quickly overwhelmed by the flood of Egyptomania that happened afterwards. Methodologically, he contributed pretty much nothing, archaeology as it exists today has very little to do with what Schliemann was doing.

The guy made a couple of good finds, but his methods were terrible, and ultimately he wasn't responsible for doing very much. Even among other similar figures, he isn't regarded very highly among modern archaeologists.

So did the Nazis get the swastika from Troy? before then it must have only been used in Eastern religions.

That mask has Schliemann's autism all over it. It's the most autistic thing I've ever seen. I'm amazed every time I see it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#Early_20th_century

It seems to have been a popular symbol of the time period.

But what of this one?

Every country had the Swastika.

Hitler got it from Ancient Germany, where it was associated with Thor

Kek if that mask is fake how come similar ones have been found later

He played the long con.

>The majority of the artifacts are currently in the Pushkin Museum in Moscow.

Legitimate war reparations

What's fake about it besides the name?

I've heard that in France certain archeological topics relating to Indo-European invasions and migrations are scorned and de facto banned because of Nazi trauma.

I was lucky enough to see the masks while they were on display at the Field Museum.

While the mask is a beautiful piece of art, the piece has a fair amount of controversy surrounding it. Upon discovering the hidden treasures at Grave Circle A, Heinrich Schliemann notified the king of Greece with a message stating, “With great joy I announce to Your Majesty that I have discovered…graves of Agamemnon…” Not only did he find the graves, he may have said in reference to the most famous mask that it was the likeness of none other than Agamemnon himself. Despite this claim, the funerary masks found in Grave Circle A are approximately 300 years too old to belong to a Trojan War veteran such as Agamemnon.

there are various arguments regarding authenticity on either side of the debate. Those who believe the mask to be inauthentic claim that the piece is in a different style when compared to the other masks found in the area. Another allegation is that Schliemann had the mask manufactured and then planted in order to get uncovered by his excavation team. Detractors tie in the fact that Schliemann had closed excavations just three days before finding the mask, and then stopped all work three days after discovering the mask.