painting with remains of egyptian mummies

> painting with remains of egyptian mummies
So... When did an academic art become all about cheap shock factor with convoluted gimmicks and zero substance, instead of the eternal beauty and deep sophisticated search for the meaning of life?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/13/arts/design/art-proves-attractive-refuge-for-money-launderers.html
youtube.com/watch?v=d47Jibt-EOE&index=7&list=PLlgwDj-bDIYmHksC5aLPdxlWH6eT4YNoy
youtube.com/watch?v=0GQ9BStPmeA&index=14&list=PLlgwDj-bDIYmHksC5aLPdxlWH6eT4YNoy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>When did an academic art become all about cheap shock factor with convoluted gimmicks and zero substance
Around the 1860's with Claude Monet.
>instead of the eternal beauty and deep sophisticated search for the meaning of life?
Never was a thing, paintings were commissioned because they looked cool.

>paintings were commissioned because they looked cool.
>deviantart furry artists are the true inheritors of the artistic tradition

Quit thinking of art as "traditional" art and start thinking more broadly as entertainment media consumed by a culture. That was the original function of painting and sculpture. The modern equivalent and the most important art form of the 20th and early 21st century was mass media created by corporations, aka movies, tv, music, advertising, photography, etc. Being corporate, it has a tendency to be pretty vapid on the whole.

Now that people are consuming nearly as much consumer created content as corporate created media, we could see a resurgence of the individual as artist although it won't look anything like painting, probably video and digital. And I'm not talking about deviantart shit.

>see a resurgence of the individual as artist although it won't look anything like painting, probably video and digital.
All that comes to mind is million dollar extreme. They have (atleast sam hyde) spoken out against the corporate control over art.

Anime is the true medium of artistic expression.

For most of history "art" has been about spirituality/religion, not entertainment.

The reason contemporary art is garbage is because it is the product of an aggressively materialist culture. It's an open secret that the fine art market is just an elaborate money laundering operation and this fact alone is more poignant and says more about our culture than the art itself.

It is about money laundering too. Also why don't you work on your own art?

a site like YouTube exists where anyone with a camera can upload stuff and the only example of non corporate art you can think of is Sam Hyde?

fucking really?

dank satire desu

YouTube is the only reason anyone knows who Sam Hyde is.

>
>For most of history "art" has been about spirituality/religion, not entertainment.
For most of human history spirituality and entertainment have been one going by the practices of tribal cultures.
>The reason contemporary art is garbage is because it is the product of an aggressively materialist culture.
Opinion, but indulging you, would you say it turned sour during the academy period?
>It's an open secret that the fine art market is just an elaborate money laundering operation and this fact alone is more poignant and says more about our culture than the art itself.
I suppose you won't substantiate this?

The purpose of spiritual art is not entertainment but I suppose you're some kind of jaded pomo who would equate the Sistine chapel with an African dance mask.

I would say art started to deteriorate exponentially after WWI because that's when nihilism really started to take off.

Finally, here's a link substantiating the money laundering accusation:

mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/13/arts/design/art-proves-attractive-refuge-for-money-launderers.html

So what do you think of?

I never said that the purpose of spiritual art was entertainment, but that spirituality and entertainment are entwined. To explain further, most of human history has been tribal, and we can see from extant cultures that the purpose of cultural practices such as dance, pictorial art, storytelling and song is largely the conveyance of information, dressed up as spiritual practice and conveyed in an entertaining fashion. Similarly Christian public art from the European tradition used dramatic art to firmly ensconce the story of Christ within the minds of churchgoers.

That article is damning towards the lack of transparency in the fine arts market, but nowhere does it go so far as you in suggesting that the market in toto is a money laundering operation.

Everyone on you tube critiques other content creators. Not corporations. Same Hyde has shed light on corporate creativity

youtube.com/watch?v=d47Jibt-EOE&index=7&list=PLlgwDj-bDIYmHksC5aLPdxlWH6eT4YNoy

youtube.com/watch?v=0GQ9BStPmeA&index=14&list=PLlgwDj-bDIYmHksC5aLPdxlWH6eT4YNoy

Holy shit does sam look like a beta piece of shit in these vids but this is what i'm kinda talking about

because the krauts were the repository of artistic tradition and we destroyed them in two world wars
>pic related eternally triggers the frenchman

I'm big proponent of million dollar extreme. He's a great example of anti-humor which epitomizes the transition from postmodern irony to post-irony/sincerity while maintaining postmodern cynicism. Also the alt right is a fascinating cultural movement even if it's going to be seen as somewhat of a shit stain when historians look back.

Sam hyde is cool and all but I still think he's too meta and doesn't really quite capture it. He's also really fucking institutionalized risd, carnegie mellon, come on. He's totally rejecting the institutions obviously but I still don't think he's quite the real deal. I think appropriation is too important to post-internet art, more important than performance. I also prefer drama to humor. But those are more just my personal tastes/opinions.

Right now the visual culture is exploding at a rate that pretty much an anomaly to history, literally everyones generating content indefinitely. It marks a break from corporate mass media as the defining art form. Visual culture trends are being churned out at record pace. post internet culture is currently in it's most generative and viscous era.

When things start to cool down people start reflecting, things get less creative, and the artistic merit of the content starts increasing. I think were close to or right on the cusp of that now.

I'm rambling somewhat but you get it.

>I'm rambling somewhat but you get it.
I like your insight

Any market that has goods priced higher than their worth is used for money laundering. Art, real estate, and gambling are the biggest. The high end artists and the lowest are typically involved. IE. Salvador dali and the people completely devoid of talent who somehow have found themselves a patron.

>Opinion, but indulging you, would you say it turned sour during the academy period?
Not him, but I'd say if quality art was a truck it was driven off the road into a ditch by the CIA, set ablaze, and abandoned.

not that guy but

PilotRedSun and cboyardee are amusing absurdists

Sorry, are you saying Salvador Dali is talented or not, your construction doesn't make it clear.

ye