War theory books?

Is this a genre?

I just finished reading the Principles of War by Clausewitz and I was wondering if there were any books similar to it

I already pirated the art of war

Also what other books should I read if I want to git gud at total war and autism simulators?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/WYZ8QaZv
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hammer and anvil

The only thing you need to read to git gud at total war and autism simulators are faqs and guides. They don't simulate principles from war books.

Do you want to learn Tactics or Strategy ?

Not OP, but can you give suggestions for both? Need a bit of a reading list.

Real world tactics and strategy aren't necessarily good decisions in Total War games. Maybe in Napoleon.

Where the hell did you find an English copy of the Vom Kriege?

Five rings
Da Aht uv Wah?

There's an entire pastebin on Clausewitz
pastebin.com/WYZ8QaZv

What real life tactics work in napoleon?

That column/charge the french used?

Unless you are planning to get into serious wargames, read .

Veeky Forums library of alexandria

Osprey publishing has a whole load of mini books that highlight prominent periods of military history.

Very simplified overviews of history, tactics and units in an army. I think they are also used a lot by "war gamers".

"The Roman Army: History's greatest war machine" is particularly good.

reverse slope defense works in just about every total war game with artillery

I guess that's true. Also charging in a column seems to work

you got nappy on steam?

>Not pirating total war games

I don't think charging in column works in Napoleon:Total War, because since Empire a unit can only fire in the front, and if you make a column you only have a few fusiliers who can shoot, and all the fusiliers on the flank will just stand there looking dumb (Maybe this can be fixed by using the Guard mode, I don't remember.) Although having multiple ranks in a formation gives a bonus in melee defense.
I prefer the Medieval II engine because it was less rigid.

Real-world tactics that works in Total War :
-Hit & Run and Skirmish screen (Skirmish mode is broken in Empire, so I don't know if it works anymore)
-Flanking (obviously)
-Hammer and Anvil
-Reconnaissance (You detach a light unit from the main army to clear the Fog of War on the strategic map)
-Harassment (You detach more light units from the main army to just throw things, pick easy fights and retreat)
-Ambush (it was removed in Empire so I don't know if it's still there)
-Reserve (you let the line units shape the battle, and then use your elite units to exploit weaknesses in enemy lines)
-Defense in depth
-Square (by using whole units as walls. Put ranged unit in the center as a bonus)
-Pike and Shot (my favorite in Medieval II)
-Human wave with peasants (very fun)
I don't know how this one is called :
-Using your cavalry to scare the enemy into making a Square and then targeting it with your Artillery.

>Is this a genre?
No. What you're looking for is "military science".

WHERE

Just like alexander would have done.

>mod's don't work
>torrents come with radiousmod.

There are thousands of free documents in various 'combined arms research library' sites; btw Clausewitz forms the modern vocabulary, art of war almost never appears

Hello,

Best books on 'war theory', or perhaps, the term 'strategy' comes to mind, is 'Roots of Strategy' I-IV. The other means of studying war, to understand it, comes from 'military history'.

This is a legitimate area of academic study, where PH.d.s exists.

IT should go as such,

'sun tzu'
'the Gallic wars'
'the prince'
'on war'
'tank tactics'
'strategy'

A big box book store. Do you think on war is rare or something? That you can't just buy one of the most influential books on strategy at a store?

No, it's fixed by researching the "Fire by Rank" tech, which you get at like 30 turns in. Maybe 20 if you rush it.

>-Pike and Shot (my favorite in Medieval II)
But pikes are broken