I'm afraid of death

I'm afraid of death.

How can a person get over this feeling? Religion maybe?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qK1BJkBJdtY
youtu.be/bJemN7zGhF0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just gotta have faith

me too. will i feel my body rotting away?

youtube.com/watch?v=qK1BJkBJdtY

youtu.be/bJemN7zGhF0

Alcohol

I don't know, dude, just take the leap of faith and see what happens.

Accept that all life is memery

What are you afraid of exactly?

Death is a natural part of life user. We all die. Everything does. If you want to look at it from the Buddhist perspective, you've already died. You're just experiencing this momentarily on your way to realizing that truth.

You'll be okay.

In the wise words of 50 Cent, "Death must be easy cause life is hard as a motherfucker."

At least the good news is you won't know you died.

I usually think about my death daily. Sometimes I see my daughter and think this person will be standing over me as I die.

Just so you know, eternity is terrifying too.

Die tomorrow or never, all options are just bad. Terror awaits all who peel back the curtain.

>At least the good news is you won't know you died
>implying

Everything dies. What does it mean to be alive if we couldn't be not alive? What would our concept of life be if life was unending? Death is the fate of all living things, OP.

It's terrifying, to be sure. We only get one shot at this. Sad that we waste our days and treat each other so badly considering that fact.

>How can a person get over this feeling? Religion maybe?
Yes. Redemption or punishment for our actions and beliefs in some kind of afterlife is a core belief of Christianity and Islam.

Every adult grapples with the certain knowledge that they will die. It gets easier to deal with as you age, but it never goers away.

there's not actually a reason to not fear death. are you planning to die, that you need to 'get over' it?

I've read Crito and the Stoic's idea of death and those two ideas put my fear of death at ease. Socratese saying that death is either an afterlife or an eternal slumber and the Stoics saying that death is out of your control so ots irrational to fear it makes a lot of sense to me. Basically they just say be a good person and you'll be rewarded with an peaceful afterlife or an eternal sleep.

What's the worst that can happen?

The prospect of eternal sleep is scary as fuck to me though. I want to feel air, I want to think, I want to be alive and conscious. I don't want to sleep forever and cease to exist, and the phrasing it like that doesn't make it any less scary to me.

Maybe you should donate all your money to SENS research.

Besides that, I've resigned myself to eternal suffering. I don't see what the big deal is all about.

>eternal sleep

What does that even mean? An eternity of unconsciousness and worms crawling through your rotting flesh?

Desu. Your body doesn't last that long even if you are embalmed. Maybe if someone put your bones in a museum and took care of them.

Death is death, end of the story.

I am far more afraid of being homeless and without money. I would rather die, in other words. And I am afraid of Alzheimer's and dementia. I hope I die or can kill myself before these things happen.

you were never born and you will never die

this dosent help with existential angst and fear od death tho, because like all emotions these are states of the organism

one thing thats usefull to remember is that the organism dosent realy know what it fears untill you allow your mind to create patterns of thought that represent to yourself the object of fear

that intensifies the fear because then you give the organism a threat it cannot avoid, which then forces you into obsesive rationalisations, rumination and avoidance trough distraction and relief from substances

just feel the fear itself, dont connect it to any object of thought, dont avoid the fear, just calmly observe the fear

you will notice the fear itself remains even when there is 'nothing to fear' when you do not connect it to anything, youre still afraid, literaly scared, terrified, of nothing, you just feel the emotion, its a state youre in, literaly physiologically, and its fucking unplesant

what you do then is calmly focus on the emotion, on the 'feel', observe it, feel it physicaly, locate it within the body even

then, gradualy, you will observe as the fear diminishes, how the emotion abstracted from a object just winds down, the temporary state passes

as you repeat this enough times, the intensity overall diminishes, and you develop greater capacity to cope with the emotion, same as you would cope with a pain in the knee or a toothache, you even locate the fear within, you percieve the deeper reasons for it and the patterns it takes, and you just learn to deal

Don't be afraid of death, be afraid of the far more likely possibility that death is impossible.

And why is that?

Reverse to Islam my friend.

This dread that comes with the awareness of death is normal, user. Afterall, we as a being that strives to survive would naturally be distraught with the idea of a permanent end.

The first step to overcoming the fear of death is accepting that you can't. You can't overcome it; you can only accept it. Accept the fact that the day will come when you will have to leave the world, and that the people around you will do too.

Every living cell in your body is replaced about every seven to eight years in a slow process of cell replication and replacement. You are like a broom that has had 3 new handles and a couple head changes, still the same broom, but not. The person you think of as you has already died multiple times and will again through your lifetime. Don't worry about it. Enjoy life as much as you can and don't try to fuck it up for too many others.

>when you worry about the idea of a hellish afterlife for all
>when you think that reincarnation would mean I'd have to experience all possibilies of suffering
eternal void sounds comforting compared to some other oppurtunities tbqh

>there are people who believe in souls
>2017
Might as well end yourself

>On the Soul (Greek Περὶ Ψυχῆς, Perì Psūchês; Latin De Anima) is a major treatise by Aristotle on the nature of living things. His discussion centres on the kinds of souls possessed by different kinds of living things, distinguished by their different operations. Thus plants have the capacity for nourishment and reproduction, the minimum that must be possessed by any kind of living organism. Lower animals have, in addition, the powers of sense-perception and self-motion (action) Humans have all these as well as intellect.

>"Expositio et quaestiones" in Aristoteles De Anima (Jean Buridan, c.1362)
Aristotle holds that the soul (psyche, ψυχή) is the form, or essence of any living thing; that it is not a distinct substance from the body that it is in. That it is the possession of soul (of a specific kind) that makes an organism an organism at all, and thus that the notion of a body without a soul, or of a soul in the wrong kind of body, is simply unintelligible. (He argues that some parts of the soul—the intellect—can exist without the body, but most cannot.) It is difficult to reconcile these points with the popular picture of a soul as a sort of spiritual substance "inhabiting" a body. Some commentators have suggested that Aristotle's term soul is better translated as lifeforce.[1]

How is eternity terrifying? I have never experienced anguish thinking about it.

Read some Marcus Aurelius or Epictetus.

Probably because you know it's impossible.