Origins of the Basque language and People

The origins of the Basque people and language are unknown and highly disputed.
>The Basque language is a language isolate
So we don't know what possible language it could have been related too.

>Their DNA is vastly different from that of Spanish people

Is it possible that they had settled on lands that would now be in the Atlantic Ocean during the ice age and gradually moved to modern day Spain as the ice age ended?

Other urls found in this thread:

people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mt26s.html
bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_basques03.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They are celts

They are about 50% Neolithic farmer(Anatolia), 30% native European and 20% Indo-European(Pontic Caspian steppe).
I think we can exclude the last as the origin of Basque language but I'm not sure if we will ever know if Basque language is Anatolian or European.

Their language does not sound celtic at all.

Basques almost exist on a cline between native Anatolian(Sardinia) and native European, who are extinct as an unmixed population.

The idea that Basques are somehow more European than others, except maybe Southern Europeans is a joke.

They're retarded celts.

Only by a small hair.

More like less RUSSIAN'D Celts.
Indo-European invasion is the reason for the current genetic structure of Europe.

Actually I probably worded that wrong since a Celt is naturally a Russo-Ukrainian rape machine.
So Basques are less CELTED late Neolithic Europeans.

I think there is definitely something to John Bengstons Basque-Caucasian hypothesis.

people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mt26s.html

Perhaps in the past when people thought Basques were Europeans it seemed silly but now that we know their heritage comes from the Asian continent it seems damn convincing.

Continuing along with this line of thinking, what if Basque language originates in Maykop culture and they arrived to Europe together with Yamnaya allies?
That would definitely explain the similarities to Dagestanic languages as well as the presence of a Yamna derived Y-chromosome in most Basques
This mixed mob could have set up base somewhere in SE Europe first but then moved to SW France and dominated over pre-IEs there.

Can't think of a better hypothesis.

One possible that they are a Finnic people as they do share some similar DNA with the Sami people. bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_basques03.htm

Mitochondrial DNA doesn't count.
Language is never spread by migrating women.

I remember reading somewhere that there was a faint link between Basque and Ainu, from Japan.

That's retarded. Ainu don't have anything to do with Central Asians like Basques.

No
But they have crossed with celts

Ainu and Basques are not even comparable

>Anatolian (Sardinian)

You can easily see how Sardinians and Turks are complete opposite in that map you posted

Sardinians are genetically almost fully derived from the Anatolians of 7000 BC.
This is not hypothetical it has been confirmed by ancient DNA studies.

Turks are the product of a lot of new genes that arrived there.

WE

WUZ

ATLANTEANS

Rh- blood type

Unrelated but I come from a basque family, and they always told me that basques fishermen discovered america first, even before the vikings. Is it true or is it just some case of shitty nationalism?

It´s possible. They reached as far as Iceland and Greenland, but they prefered to go northeast to Spitsbergen, Faroes and such.

Most likely a remnant of pre-indo-european culture. There are archaelogical sites all throughout France, Britain and Ireland that suggest settlement before the arrival of IE people.

But then how did they get down to Spain and France?

boats, currents, navigators
they went after whales, later they started fishing cod

>>Their DNA is vastly different from that of Spanish people
This is disproven bullshit.

Turks are not aboriginal Anatolian, though.

Not before the vikings, no.
The Basques usually fished on the same places as the Galicians and the Portuguese, in America.
They did however reach Iceland and got fucked by the vikings there.

They don't have same the DNA as the average Spaniard does.

What do you mean? They were always there.

It's not vastly different either. And it all depends on the "average spaniard" since spaniards have a lot of differences themselves.
Most importantly, modern Basque genetics has almost nothing (well some) to do with ancient basque genetics, particularly when we examine the DNA of neolithic farmers.
Basques are just as mixed as everybody else. They just happen to have a bit more of Neolithic and hunter-gatherer than anybody else, but that bit more is quite negligible.

Has anyone ever run a neanderthal dna analysis in the basque people? Quite a few signs point to an increased amount of admixture amongst those populations over other populations.

Thanks guys, I can't believe my family is actually kinda right.

And I don't know why people associate the basque county with Spain, a lot of the basques live in France, that's were I'm from.

They are only 1/3 European anyway they aren't more indigenous than Danes or Germans.

The neanderthals had quite a bit of presence in the middle east along with europe.

because the spanish basques are noisy with all that eta and separatism shit while french basques are just another french minority nobody knows about

Yeah that's true but the eta wasn't just a spanish thing. My grandfather was an active member on the french side.

It's a really interesting and beautiful region. I wish more people would know about it.

I am also French Basque. I recall reading something at one point that many of the leaders would lay low in France because the Spanish government was much more aggressive in investigating/prosecuting ETA members.

Yeah Franco really was an asshole. My grandfather was a doctor and he used to cross the pyrennees to do abortion on spanish-side basque women since it was illegal under Franco.

It's pretty cool how basques had a strong feeling of community regardless of borders. I think an independant basque county would be disastrous, but it'd still be pretty cool.