Psychology

What books do you recommend if I want to start studying psychology? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Psychology-Science-Behaviour-Nigel-Holt/dp/0077169840
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

amazon.co.uk/Psychology-Science-Behaviour-Nigel-Holt/dp/0077169840

well you canĀ“t skip Freud and Jung so start with their bios

Question for OP. When you say you want to study psychology, do you mean the cognitive and statistical sciences, or do you mean you want to better understand the human condition?

Because each of those objectives will have very different recommended readings indeed.

What is the difference between the cognitive sciences and human condition?

You can skip Freud and Jung.

You don't even have to look up specific leading men. Just look up principles of behaviorism (how we learn through conditioning and modeling), cognitivism (inteligence and psychometrics, models of memory, atention and reasoning, and maybe schema theory when you are ready to learn about personality), developmental psychology (development stages of logico-mathematical reasoning by Piaget) social psychology (group dynamics, social categorization/social cognition).

Some cognitive scientists are are working with artificial neural networks. Also with animals, like comparative psychologists and ethologists.

So the human condition part is more about counselling whereas the cognitive part is where the actual understanding of psychology lies?

Also are there any good books about CBT you can recommend? Or should I go by first, before delving into CBT in detail?

Don't start with clinical psychology. There's no point learning CBT if you don't plan to be a psychoterapist, and you wouldn't understand it before anyway without first having that behaviorist and cognitivist jargon in your pocket.

>There's no point learning CBT if you don't plan to be a psychoterapist
I was actually planning on conducting a CBT on myself by myself.

I figured since psychology is something that may interest me a lot, why not use the opportunity to make myself learn about it. Two in one, huh? I'll get to fix myself AND learn something.

But I guess it's too naive of me to think that I could study that without knowing the underlying basics first, which takes years of study.

But thanks, I'll look into the things you named.

>social psychology

cognitive science is about understanding how human beeings process information.

If you read "Psychology and Life" by Zimbardo and Gerrig cover to cover you should have a pretty good impression about what modern academic psychology is all about. It is written in an unpretentious language and absolutely no prior knowledge is required. It does omit psychoanalysis almost completely though.

I greatly enjoyed studying this sort of psychology and worked in cognitive sciences for a while. In the end I rejected a PhD scholarship in the field and, to the horror of some of my former colleagues, decided to do the psychoanalytic formation.

It is much harder to gasp, almost elusive, but at least for me, it brought the kind of insight I never found and always sought in cognitive sciences. I do not say this to diss the cognitive sciences, it is just that it is layed out to answer questions of procedure, not of meaning.

If you want to get into psychoanalysis I would suggest to start with "The Interpretation of Dreams" by Freud. Much of it is outdated, but it is the founding work of PA and it helps one to understand what psychoanalytic thinking is. I guess that after reading it you will know wether you can/want to embrace that kind of thinking or not.

On a side note: I am pleasently surprised that there is no Psychoanalysis vs Behavioralism flame war ITT.

This

I can also recommend how to think straight about psychology, by Stanovich. Not as academic as other works, but it's accessability makes it a good intro.

None, psychology is obsolete now that psychiatric medicine exists.

found the american.

> Pic related

I really like Jung, but I was always under the impression that you need a basic understanding of Freud first.

he wrote exactly the same thing himself

bump, need thread for tomorrow

Psychology is really a huge umbrella. Depends on what interests you.

follow what he says

as far as books go, I really enjoyed reading Phantoms in the Brain by V. S. Ramachandran if you're more into the neuroscience side of things. It's easy enough for anyone to pick up and a fun read.

Go cog neuro or go home. Start everything from the neurological understanding that you build and work from there. While there are mechanisms that exist between individuals everything is ultimately the result of the brain, learn to love it.

Also get good at statistics and do them right. There's too many shit cunt psychs who have no idea what they're doing the second they aren't asking people how they feel. Good luck.

The first thing you need to read is a statistics book, so you can learn to tell when a so called "seminal study" on the human mind is in fact hot shit, or legitimate.

honest question: how do you find work with a Psych degree exactly? I loved studying neuropsych and have medic experience but honestly have no idea how to find research opportunities, medical psych jobs that aren't just babysit the crazies, or any job that does not have to deal with autistic kids. do you really need a masters in order to get into the field properly? Any advice?