Is stoicism a good philosophy

Is stoicism a good philosophy

Define good

Yes. Just remember to apply the principals to your life slowly. No one become an expert over night.

I think stoicism is a "good" philosophy in the sense that it almost feels natural. Its not what happens to us, but how we perceive it.

yes. autist on Veeky Forums would be better off if they went down the Marcus Aurelius path instead of the naziboo path.

Nah, cynics are the way to go

Yes, it will help you to cultivate inner strength.

It's the only sensible lifestyle

Would someone give a full explanation of stoicism?

If you have this as your Overdrive mode, you will only be able to charge your Overdrive gauge when you take damage. This is a good way to charge your gauge for bosses that deal massive damage, but not necessarily one-hit kill you.

nihilism is the true Truth

HELLO

I think it is quite good although there are some good arguments against it. Should you really limit your passion?

Accept the things you can't change, take comfort in small pleasures, don't dwell on unpleasant emotions / memories.

Stoicism is compatible with nihilism. The ancient Stoics believed in an eternal cycle of repeating history with no prospect for alleviation, their philosophy was about finding a good way to live in a universe without meaning.

unpleasant memories often need to be addressed because there is something you need to still work out.

Sure, the Stoics didn't advocate ignoring your problems, just not dwelling on your sorrows or mourning the things you can't change.

yeah, passion is suffering (literally: pati)

Epicureanism is better though.

not convincing

I cannot control what others think of Stoicism, so it does not concern me.

so, basically, stop bullshitting yourself and be an adult? I won't claim to be the most mentally sound person since I'm posting on an imageboard for chinese cartoons, but it's funny how these values seem to me like the ones I already aspire to daily.

you should If you can't channel it into something useful I guess. Take relationships for example... it's fine to surrender yourself to passion, but you won't feel as fulfilled until you've gradually developed a situation where understanding and trust founded on years of knowing each other are key. I mean, take you best same-sex friends for instance, do you feel passion for them?

You can't smoke as a stoic, +garden!!!

wouldn't aponia justify smoking?

forget it, i had both epicureanism and stoicism pages open on wikipedia and got them mixed