What language did Crusaders and Muslims use to communicate?

What language did Crusaders and Muslims use to communicate?
Or did they use translators?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_Lingua_Franca
twitter.com/AnonBabble

English, most of them spoke English at the time. Maybe some Latin to communicate with the Frenchies, if such a thing was ever possible.

Whoever had the position of power decides the language.

Equality is a myth.

Probably Greek and Arabic.

They spoke mandarin

It was mostly modern English. Kingdom Of Heaven proves this.

This.

Probably the best documentary out there.

Arabic.

Nut sure but my guess is they would most likely use Greek, Latin and Arabic.

That's what I thought, but how did the Chinese sail to Jerusalem if the Suezcanal wasn't built until1453?

>you are now imagining what it was like to be a translator in the olden days

literal fucking magic powers

are there really this many retards who think because English is the lingua franca now that it was relevant in the 11th century that it would be used by crusaders to communicate with Saracens?

rofl

>tfw the fate of empires depends on your translation.
>tfw you could end the crusader states by translating that King Baldwin fucked Saladin' mum.

you're getting trolled you moron

Agreed.

ancient Aramaic

literal fucking merchants

Its always traders used as interpreters.

It isn't like magic at all either, in medieval times people often spoke multiple languages, France alone had dozens of languages, it would be impossible to be middle class or noble without speaking at least Latin.

I do simultaneous interpretation, it pays well but it's not easy. I can only imagine the pressure ancient translators must have had.

Watched this for the first time yesterday. The definitive edition is awesome.

>It isn't like magic at all either, in medieval times people often spoke multiple languages, France alone had dozens of languages, it would be impossible to be middle class or noble without speaking at least Latin.

do you know how i know you're american?

AAVE aka Ebonics

Idiots, didn't you know sign language was invented to communicate between countries? Deaf people picked it up later on.

French. It was the linga franca of the time.

Hell, the Muslims refered to the crusaders as "Franj", or Franks.

You know how I know youre a faggot?

You're telling me some durkadurka was all like:
>Je m'appelle Saladin bonjour ouioui honhonhon

This is an American website, Europoor. Know your place.

Yes and to this day the Turkish language has a great number of French loanwords.

Blimps and Zeppelins obviously

>French. It was the linga franca of the time.

no, they probably spoke the literal "lingua franca", which is where the modern expression originated

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_Lingua_Franca

Sometimes nobles who happen to know a common language liked to show off and use it to seem worldly or at least be courteous and friendly. Some Crusaders knew Arabic, and some Muslims knew Latin or Greek.

Otherwise you got a translator, usually a merchant or a minority Christian or Muslim or Jew who happened to know multiple languages. A lot of ambassadors from Emirates and Sultanates to Europe happened to be local Christian priests or Jews for example.

>English
>Relevant whatsoever internationally before the 20th century

what the fuck is wrong with you??
Going around shitposting NONSENSE, you're not funny, you're not cute, you're evil and snarky.

children die because of low quality jokes like yours, you fucking FUCKING SHITPOSTER I HATE YOU SO MUCH

fucking shitpost

>they probably spoke the literal "lingua franca", which is where the modern expression originated
I did not know that was a thing...TIL

...He says on the Tuvo-Mongolian throat singing forum

English, god's and Allah's language

The owner is Japanese now user. Has been for a while.

I miss moot.

Thanks user, I somehow got through a month of crusader history without knowing this

First it was "muh moot" but soon people will just cling to "the servers are based here!"

That's due to Kemal being a Euroboo tho.

Probably Greek, Hebrew, or Latin. I'm not quite sure, honestly.

>Hebrew
>Ever relevant outside reading Jewish scriptures
kek

Fuck off utter retard
No one spoke English, even "English" crusaders spoke French natively

Don't know what language Crusaders and Muslims communicated in, but since muslims ended up calling all European "Francs" (the term French people of the era identified with), it was probably French

The overwhelming majority of Crusaders were French (which is indeed why muslims ended up generalizing the term for all Europeans), but I doubt they conversed in French with muslims

They probably used Latin for that
Surely some muslims would have mastered this language, it dominated the Mediterranean for centuries after all

>Middle Ages
>middle class
No such thing.

Everything in the world belongs to America, whether you like it or not. Because inside every [insert an offensive term for any given non-American here] there is an American trying to get out.

>yo' I be needin' yo christians to motherfuckin' leave my holy town' yo'

>Na, this be our town yo'. Our messiah be crussified here, nomsayin.

>Both parts proceed fighting a violent d̶r̶u̶g̶ religious war

Lindybeige stop ruining good thread no one spoke english outside of england in the middle age

There were plenty of Christians in the Holy Land who likely either spoke Greek or Latin in addition to their native local language. These people likely served as interpreters for the Crusaders and the other native people. It's highly unlikely the Saracens or other Levantine people spoke French or Latin, which are the only languages the Crusaders would've been using probably.

>it would be impossible to be middle class or noble without speaking at least Latin
There was no middle class in the high medieval period. You were a peasant, a noble, or a part of the clergy. Land ownership was an almost exclusive privilege of the nobility and the Church. Peasants could lease land in some cases but direct ownership was very rare in feudal society. It's not until the nobility's monopoly on land ownership is broken that you see a true middle class begin to emerge.

What about merchants? Maybe they technically were peasants, and maybe they didn't own land, but surely a smart trader with a little luck could end up better off, perhaps even enough to be something resembling middle class. And what's more "merchant" is pretty broad, could potentially cover everything from a dedicated peddler to a master armorsmith.

I could be totally wrong, I'm certainly not an expert on medieval socioeconomics.