Prison

Imprisonment really doesn't seem like an effective way of combating crime, especially for token amounts of time like 18 months. I just overheard a news story about an 18 or 19 year old who was imprisoned for "terrorism offences" for 18 months - I can foresee a news story in 24-ish months about "what went wrong" when a 21 year old man blew himself up. Here's what went wrong:

>goes to prison for 18 months
>during that time, his hatred for the West only deepens
>probably meets more extremists in prison who circlejerk each other in an echo chamber
>gets out in a stupidly short amount of time
>goes back to committing terrorism offences

And in most cases it's the same for other criminals - they're not going to suddenly turn into upstanding members of society, they're going to go back to whatever they were doing before. It all seems like a huge waste of time and money.

I know it boils down to money, and that it's usually more expensive to try and rehabilitate criminals.

Is there a better solution than token imprisonment? Some sort of incentive to not commit crimes in the first place, since prison really isn't that much of a scare if you're already at the bottom of the barrel?

Yes, they should just be killed. What a retarded question

>t. burger waking up

wtf I hate punitive justice now

Execution right after trial is a pretty cheap and effective method.

Honestly if we just killed off druggies, thieves and rapists crime rate would decline sharply.

Its not supposed to combat crime, in the ancient days humans either murdered you brutally if you did a crime or just trapped you somewhere where you starve and dehydrate to death eventually. Prison is the location where they send criminals to suffer not be rehabilitated, the general awfulness of prison is supposed to be enough of a deterrent against most crime but psychopaths have proven you can cut off their mother's head and they will still commit violent crime.

This is why you are better just executing your worse criminals.

>Muh government contracts
Good luck changing anything OP.

there is literally nothing wrong with literal slave labor

18 month sentence? 18 months slave labor

5 year sentence? you're going to the coal mines for 5 years

20 to life? U GONNA GET SLAVED

There's a very easy way to prevent Terrorism, it's called "don't let Muslims into your country".

OP, the problem is, what the fuck do you do with them? Progressives proposed prison as the "out of sight, out of mind" solution because they thought Blacks were subhumans, sure, but it does one simpke thing: it keeps criminals away from law abiding folk.

What exactly do you propose as an alternative? Forced labor? Execution? Some attempt at making them "better people" by therapy and rehabilitation to lead them away from a life of crime/Islam? What about the people who don't WANT to be honest? What about the people who will reject any and all attempts to show them Islam is barbaric and wrong?

How did 9/11 happen buddy?

>coal mines
Nah fuck off with that shit, I don't want wages to get devalued by literal slavery.

t. entire family works in coal mining

>Let Muslims into your country
>They commit terrorism
I don't see where you're going with this.

he's gonna blame the jews because critical thinking is too hard for stormblrs
eventually they'll move from jews to space reptiles, and after that space jew lizards

By letting Muslims into the country.

When you're resorting to rewarding your citizens for not acting like animals and disintegrating society you're at a pretty low bar

A bunch of muslims that were let into the country committed terrorism
woah really got me thinkin there we should all just get along

Except they weren't let in now were they?

But they were.

Do you think Saudi Arabia is located in the USA?

>Leftist education

Is this a problem with prison or how they are managed?

Prison does have a deterrent effect to a degree. A rational person will take into account the risk of getting caught and spending a significant proportion of their limited life in prison. Rather than rob liquor stores they will go to community college and become an electrician or something.

Irrational people of course can't be deterred, but they still need to be contained for public safety, they then need to be reconditioned into productive citizens which is what the prison system failed to do here.

Once against I think we can blame liberals. We could be using operant conditioning and new technology like shock collars to manage the prison population but they won't let us.

>its the liberals fault we cant brainwash people
something about this doesnt seem right

>rehabilitate criminals
>this guy thinks this is what the american prison system is for
Look up Bastoy and how the Norwegians handle this, then compare recidivism rates.

something tells me the average Norwegian prisoner is much more rehabilitate-able than the average American prisoner...

I think the "you gotta rehabilitate them lmao" crowd is naive about just how big of a piece of shit the average guy who is doing 10+ years in the state pen...

What do you think happened on 9/11 user? You do know WHERE the hijacked planes were from, right?

sure, we should just let them rot for 20 years then let them exit and go back to a life of crime

repeat after me:

the system is working
the system is working
the system is working

I'm glad this thread is off to such a magnanimous start.
It largely depends on the offense. If some dumb motherfucker does some small crime like shoplifting and gets thrown into a hellish prison, you bet your ass he will not do it again. But there are plenty of people who live for crime, and have lived for it for a long time in their live. For those people, you would need rehabilitation and showing that there are better way to lead a live than crime, which takes time and money for people specialized to do that. Sadly, most prisons in the US are content with basically catching, releasing, then catching again because (surprise surprise) they are privately owned and corrupt. Then you have the crazy motherfuckers who just can't be reasoned with, those people either need a life of detainment or just execution, depending on your view of morality.