What the fuck was their problem?

What the fuck was their problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_German_Bodyguard
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

t'was merely a jape, brother.

They liked kingmaking too much

Don't worry, emprah. Nobody with weapons will be allowed anywhere near you except us mere praetorian fellows.

Now, about that pay raise...

A few things:
1. The army in of itself became its own society, as per expected of any professional full time force. The Praetorians became a society within a society within a society

2. Ridiculous pay raises, little actual work and loads of prestige pampered them and made them super arrogant

3. Got a little too fresca with the emperor shit. I think the fact that they were tolerated with putting Caligula to death by the Senate set a precedent, despite Caligula being a pretty bad ruler.

>hey titus i bet you 100 sesterci i can get the new guy to stab the emperor

Lel this sounds like it could've been an episode of Rome.

claudius' relationship with the praetorians was pretty cute desu

>stop being a b..baka, emperor
>yearly games in their camp
>had a breakdown and stumbled to their camp muttering 'am is still emperor' over and over again, consoled by loyal praetorian bros

I'm wondering why they weren't put down centuries before Constantine

>pullo becomes the first praetorian guard and inspires the whole unit after telling Octavian a story
DESU he was such a sue it would have happened

How was Pullo a sue.. He was nearly dead at least twice in the show. He had to be rescued both times by a better man.

>vorenus
>a better man
wew lad

They probably wanted to but got shanked instead.

Why were the Varangian Guard so much more docile?

>oh shit I don't betray Caesar for some reason
>I survive out of formation despite being surrounded
>of all the prisoners I'm chosen
>we find the eagle
>I'm not killed even though my commander said I would be
>I'm the reason why he doesn't attack the rich because I find the gold and disarm 10 men myself
>I never contract an STD from all the whores I fuck
>Caesar doesn't discipline me for leaving the army
>I'm chosen to be Octavians tutor not vorenus which would have cemented ties with Antony
>I survive a ship wreck which kills everyone
>I somehow have enough wood to make a deadman raft and not die from disease
>vorenus doesnt beat me for suggesting we become bandits for awhile
>I'm cleopatras type
>she bears my child not ceasars
Can't remember anything else off the top of my head

You are over simplifying, or misunderstood things completely. I'm not going to refute them all, here's some.

>of all the prisoners I'm chosen
Vorenus literally says it's because Pullo is already disgraced

>I'm the reason why he doesn't attack the rich because I find the gold and disarm 10 men myself
The whole scout team did that

>I'm cleopatras type
You forget he was the second choice, but also she was desperate to get pregnant in order to trick Caesar into thinking it was his own.

don't forget he survives the series while Vorenus apparently dies

>mfw that episode where 12 year old Octavian and Pullo capture, interrogate, and kill the guy cucking Vorenus and pretend like what just happened was normal.

They wanted cash.

>already disgraced
I don't think he was the only disgraced one, and considering it was a military prison he was in there were others
>whole scout team
I remember him charging in early whilst vorenus said restraint, would foederatti be that diverse btw as it looked like a hun, German and sarmatian. But once he hammered the messages in he ran back and freed the girl and gave the gold to Caesar when vorenus got attacked. And the disarming ten men bit is the attacking the guys who wanted to attack vorenus for taking the gold
>second choice
Yes second choice but still, vorenus was middleclass but pillow was lower, although her ploy to lie to Caesar does sound like him
>my general fucked this pussy and died
>so shall I
>I don't know what to do they normally get people for this with special tools
Fair if you stab randomly you will just duck up

When you're a foreigner with no ties to anyone but the guy paying you things are a lot simpler.

Mary Sues have to be essentially flawless and have ridiculous skillsets with no justification

Pullo had plenty of flaws, was often beaten and his skills consisted entirely of fighting well and being friendly

Just because the story contrived for him to be at the centre of a ridiculous number of pivotal events does not make his character a sue

Wasnt that half the point of hiring foreigners as the guard? So that they be at arms length from internal politics

He is a flawed individual. He's prone to irrational acts, impulsive, violent, and he suffers dearly for it. His wife and child are killed by the woman he fucks on the side, and he snaps and kills her as well (despite himself doing the same thing to Eirene with her slave boyfriend). He nearly dies by getting into a drunken brawl and having his skull fractured.

Were they "our guys"?

Pullo was a true memester and Vorenus went sometimes full autismo mode

The Varangians had two things going for them:
>Scary barbarians from far away relying on meme power to be seen as more dangerous/exotic than Byzantine warriors
>No dog in any fight involving Byzantine political struggles, again, because they're foreign mercenaries being paid well to not give a shit.

Hard to say which if either of these is more important but I'd say if I was an emperor worried about assassination attempts, knowing the guys I've paid (very handsomely) to watch my back can be reliably trusted to not be interested in my enemies' causes is more valuable than anything else, especially when you have the Praetorians as an example of what happens when The people who are guarding your back are too involved in politics.

The "exotic foreign warrior" meme would be icing on the cake.

>I am a son of hades

>Vorenus describing Pullo's traits when Caesarion asks what his father was like

Even back in Rome's time the emperors trusted foreigners more than their own citizens

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_German_Bodyguard