Did Diogenes actually contribute anything of value to philosophy or is he only remembered for his zany biography?

Did Diogenes actually contribute anything of value to philosophy or is he only remembered for his zany biography?

he was the first irl shitposter

Did you really need to start up a new thread for this?

Where else would I post it?

How about one of the threads on philosophy? Or Greeks? This board really needs a thread for questions that don't deserve their own thread.

autist. philosophy doesn't need to be confined to a single thread

True, but there's no need for a thread asking one simple question that will die in under 20 posts.

I thought Veeky Forums policy discouraged generals.

He made plato his bitch. That counts for something.

QTDDTOT could be useful.

Do you think there's a limited number of threads allowed per day or something?

Have you ever been on one of the faste boards? They are full with shitty one line threads because everybody thinks like this, killing high quality posts since quantity beats quality on image boards.

It just results in a shit board if every question gets its own thread and then dies after a handful of responses.

He is an entertaining one, but like most Greek philosophy the school he created died out a while ago. However, what was the school of cynicism has evolved into what we know of cynicism today. So he did contribute something, but as with all philosophy, it's worth is determined by individuals.

It should be the policy of every board to discourage generals because they are cancer and defeat the purpose of an image board.

I second this

Can you explain Greek cynicism to me? What exactly did cynics believe? How did it compare to the schools of Plato and Aristotle? How popular was it, and why did it die out? Finally what influence did the cynics leave on Western civilization?

It would be really difficult, for instance, to discuss sci-fi on Veeky Forums without /sffg/. They serve a purpose.

Hes a funny bloke

Cynicism was more or less the rejection of most aspects of society in order to live a life more in line with what nature had for us, which to them was clearing the smoke of society out of their eyes and allowed them to better understand complex topics like human nature and the meaning of life, because they saw it in it's barest form, devoid of societal influence/corruption.

It was always a less popular school than both, given the type of commitment you have to make for it. When stoicism came around, it basically died out until it's revival in Rome.

Past the fall of Rome, Christians adopted it in order to better understand the message of Jesus, and to ensure the salvation of others by making sure that they were on the right path. Past that, I can't say, but it has eventually became the definition that we know it by today, that being "an inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; skepticism." So it is hard to say what happened down the line, unless an user has a source that can explain what happened.

Thanks.