How did England and France overcome centuries of mutual hatred and rivalry to unite in their common hatred of the Kraut...

How did England and France overcome centuries of mutual hatred and rivalry to unite in their common hatred of the Kraut? Especially since Anglos are Germanic to begin with and have a German royal family

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_London_(1839)
liveleak.com/view?i=042_1357516325
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You answered your own question

But many French people still hate us English. Makes me sad, I love France.

The 100 years War was fought by Norman-Plantagenet French vs French.

English is a meme.

>this shit every single thread

Because Willy started a naval arms race.

As a French i disagree, i love your country and there are a lot of French people living in London

English Identity is a modern meme, invented by the Victorians.

>your country
They don't own it, Protestants are Usurpers, their legitimacy is not valid, either is yours.

>this epic meme again

Stupid graph

How is he wrong though?

Why does being Germanic mean you have to worship Germany as some sort of mother country? They're not our forefathers or anything, they're just other Germanics. Do we need to suck off the Netherlands and Denmark too?

Because by the hundred years war, they had been born in England and been speaking English and considering themselves English for generations.

Margaret of Anjou vs the House of York.

Is Margaret the most underrated Military Commander in history?

She wasn't a military commander, so no.

She was in every aspect. She was not a General, or a Warrior, but she no doubt was a Military Commander.

Napoleon wars made frenchies our bitch. But we also didn't want mutually didn't want more german prices 'n' shit after the 18th/19th century revolutions, especially because it would just benefit germany.

What armies did she command? Which battles did she direct?

She was a politician. She left the actual military stuff to actual commanders.

She commanded her armies, she delegated the fighting to generals.

In her last battle, she launched a fleet of warships from France, landed an army and then marched to the Severn river, along the way she recruited many levies, at Tewkesbury she stood and faced the Yorkist army that had been shadowing her.

Her aim was to cross the Severn and unite her forces with a Welsh force.

How can you not call her a Commander?

They had no choice

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_London_(1839)

>German royal family
Dutch.

German or Danish. Definitely not Dutch.

Because litterally all of that beyond "let's go bacl to England and help Warwick" was organised and directed by actual commanders who then did the fighting and dying.

So exactly the same as most historical monarchs "commanding" militaries?

Yeah pretty much.

Before Warwick switched sides, she was known for raising armies and commanding them, as her husband Henry was nothing more than a figurehead.

Henry VI was not the commander, she was.

She was not a general in the field, or a warrior.

> not a commander
> Margaret of Anjou

Yes, yes, it was Margaret who did all. Totally not Somerset or Clifford or Percy. They just stood around holding their dicks.

It is a shame that the EU was based on franco-german cooperation instead of a franco-british one.

>1 battle in which she had no direct involvement other than it was troops fighting for her cause

I did not insinuate that, war councils were the defacto means of strategy throughout history.

I just mentioned that Margaret of Anjou is the most underrated Military Commander in history.

Because the English are the autists migrated from Germany

> butthurt Yorkist detected

Britain's foreign policy was to prevent any single power dominating Europe, that's why she sided with France in ww1. The ensuing friendship that bloomed on the battlefield is why she sided with France in ww2.

You're goddamn right.

Even at 2nd St. Albans, her only noticeable contribute is asking her brat how two knights should die. Whoopee fuckin door!

Their rivalry was suppressed romantic feeling anyways. France was always a big baka.

Only for Royals and high nobles
Soldiers on the Plantagenet side were mostly English

>Because by the hundred years war, they had been born in England and been speaking English
Actually, Henry V was the first one to make English the official language in English court

>and considering themselves English for generations.
The whole point of the war was that Plantagenet kings considered that France was their homeland and that therefore they should rule it

>English
The English were the nobility, they were largely removed by conquest. The Saxon invasions were not an ethnic cleansing of Britons. The archaeology shows no such invasion, again this is a Victorian invention.

Official language is not the same as speaking it.

How does that mean that they weren't English?

By the time the Normans rolled in, "English" was the dominant culture across Britain. You can call them "Anglicised Britons" if you prefer, same as you can call the Irish "Celticised Irelanders", but really that's just pissing in the wind. They called themselves English and their country, England.

>their country, England.
Pretty sure there was multiple kingdoms, none of them were called England.

> East Anglia.
> Mercia.
> Northumbria
> Bernicia
> Deira.
> Wessex
> York
> Strathclyde
> Gwent
> Gwynedd
> Powys
> Alba
> Dál Riata

The only Kingdom that was England related was Anglia.

Well, if you consider that all that counts was the language spoken, then William the Conqueror was 100% French (something that y'all Brits will never admit) and that the first Post-1066 king to be really English was Edward III

Pretty sure you're an idiot. Even during the heptarchy, the people called themselves "Englisc", no matter the name of their kingdom. And England had been unified for a century before the Normans arrived.

>How did England and France overcome centuries of mutual hatred and rivalry to unit
Common enemy, as you said yourself.

Happened during the 17 century against the Spanish Habsburg and during the Anglo-Dutch Naval Wars.
Happened in the Crimean War
Happened during the World Wars

>unified for a century
kek

It was never more divided, Harthacnut(Dane) ruled before Edward the Confessor became king.

Edward was the last "English King"

Cnut ruled England as a unified kingdom, not as a collection of petty states. And this is besides the point, the common people knew themselves as "English" and their divided and wartorn country as "England".

>the common people knew themselves as "English"
They were illiterate.

The fact is, there was no England, the only England you can muster, is the unified conquest of large parts of Britain by Danes.

Too bad they missed the real threat in west...

I don't know why you're so retarded and I don't much care. You're completely wrong, as a few seconds of googling would show you.

Franks are Germanic too, Charlemagne had a little something to do with the HRE, maybe you've heard of it.

It's a new money thing, Prussia was a neophyte and the old powers resented it, There was no love lost, it's just a pragmatic diplomatic solution to existential anxiety.

He was French. His charter for London explicitly refers to the Normans as French.

"Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests"

>Charlemagne had a little something to do with the HRE, maybe you've heard of it.

Bullshit
The HRE was created by Otto I, more than a century after Charlemagne's death

And Napoleon was a Manlet..................

> never trust a Protestant Victorian about anything

>Nappy wasn't a midget

Explain this then, faggot.
liveleak.com/view?i=042_1357516325

Napoleon was above average height for his time period.Him being a manlet was just a rumour started by the British press.

Picture isn't even Margaret of Anjou

York was best house though Lancastrian shits need to get off my board

Margaret of Anjou isn't underrated, she's pretty well regarded as a politician/commander even by Yorkists, she was still a bitch fighting against her rightful king though

The French attitude to the UK being in the EEC/EU has ranged from actively opposed to total antipathy.

It was only the brief passing combination of a near Anglophile French president and the UKs least US friendly post-war PM that saw the UK allowed in at all. At almost any other period in the existence of the "Common Market" you could have counted on French veto.

Braveheart invokes the War of the Roses, people do not talk about this though.

She's not well known.

Brits wouldn't play ball, their loss

>The whole point of the war was that Plantagenet kings considered that France was their homeland and that therefore they should rule it
You clearly don't understand the Hundred Years war. The whole point was that Edward III was, by English succession law, the rightful French King.
He didn't even claim the crown until Philip started fucking with Gascony and Scotland.
After the initial Edwardian phase it was just a way for kings to keep their noble's busy. A war with France was a great way for Henry V to avoid questions about his claim to the throne.

You're a retard.

English & French are both Atlantoids

Rugby nations