Once we leave the surace of this planet, will we still continue to wage war in space?

Once we leave the surace of this planet, will we still continue to wage war in space?

Is history doomed to repeat itself ad infinitum?

Will the deeds of men remain the same?

Other urls found in this thread:

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewarintro.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably.

What do you mean repeat? We never had a war in space

As in wage war supported by dumb casus belli

We might evolve into some higher state thanks to genetic engineering and cybernetics, so its really hard to definetively say yes or no to that.

Also while I really like LotGH I hate how the Earth Cult is portrayed, and really how almost devoid the universe is of spirituality. Wouldn't an Earth cult make even the tiniest bit of reference to prophets and or devote itself to history? Thus seducing someone like Yang to an extent? They seem like Zealots for the singular purpose of bashing religion.

>t. Pipedream
Tell me how we are going to live in space when we can't even sustain ourselves on earth?

The show (and the books it was based on) were written in the late 20th century, before the resurgence of Islam and the Christian right in America.

At the time it really did look like religion was on its way out, and the idea that the only people in the future who would still follow religion were a bunch of maniacs seemed fairly reasonable for a sci-fi story set centuries from now. It's like how nobody believes in religion in Star Trek either.

In one of the history documentary episodes they made, they state that sipirutality was lost after a 90 year war where 85% of humans on Earth died and nobody came from the heavens to save them.

Also the >F>P>A makes references to hell and such and every episode the Reich thanks Odin and seems to follow Norse Paganism.

Also Yang was interested in the earth cult, that is why he send Julian to investigate them. The fact he got snackbared by terraist is pure POTTERY.

What is Hyper War you dumb nigger

Will hydrogen still exist a hundred years from now? what about a thousand? WILL HISTORY REPEAT ITSELF FOREVER??????

space is too resource rich for resource wars to be fought

People said before The Great War that commerce was too profitable and the economies too interlinked to wage war

Lol

>le space prussia empire
Fuck off

What about ideological wars?

the shitpost will be a bitching about terra vs spacenoid

>FUCKIN TERRAN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>FUCK OFF SPACENOID NIGGER, WE ARE FULL

Yes.

War is good, war drives technological progress more effectively than any other social regime.

War in space? Not unlikely. A. C. Clarke's "Earthlight" (1955) posits a war in the 22nd century between Earth and a Federation of other inhabited worlds.

War is the single best engine for human growth. Competition between states forces us to better ourselves, war is just side effect of this from time to time.

Do people get into fights over chicken tenders at all you can eat buffets?

Wherever there are two groups in a dispute they cannot resolve diplomatically or walk away from there will be war

>literally posting the man who due to war poured a ton of resources into rocket production such as the V8 and jet engines for fighter planes which led to commercial aviation and eventually the space race
Really makes you think

it's a meme you dip

They do when every tray is millions of miles apart

Space is theoretically rich in the same way earth is, however reaching the resources requires finite economic resources and you will still have arguments about who should manage the resources, who should get the greater share, etc.

This is all without mentioning there are far more reasons for war than simple resource gains.

Yeah but at the same time where are the odin churches or whatnot? The only religious institution shown is the Earth Cult, and to think that would be the only religion in such a populated universe is preposterous.

When you ask why do we wage war, do you ever think as to why?

Its based on this one simple fact of life VIOLENCE WINS. Suppose your have an issue and you dont like the diplomatic solution then you go to war and force your enemy to follow what you said instead.

War is simply humanity's way of dealing with issues as we are violent apes that love to see other lifeforms in pain. The only reason any human speaks badly of war is because PTSD is possible, and we can feel sad for all the poor people who died in it.

>War hurt religion
Top kek. Who was the idiot that wrote that?

>all this space
>people think no one in this trillion galaxy universe will eventually build giant ships to go fuck someone up

It's gonna happen

>this will be the war to end all wars - random schmucks after each big war since napoleon
Believing that people will be enlightened in the future and have no conflict is foolish. Humans are getting farther apart mentally, resources are continuing to drop, pollution is increasing, energy consumption is rising.
Going into space will create a new branch in humanity. It is inevitable that said branch will find conflict at some point.

how could it be otherwise?

the thing with all the aspects of humanity that we all dislike or fear is that they are not a glitch, but a feature

Most was in history is over ideals and land. The location at which war takes place is meaningless. War will continue as long as the human race exists.

Space colonists will ruin everything.

No. War happened historically, generally spekqaing over land and resources.

Expand the picture and the amount of land and resources to near infinity and it becomes pointless to fight over it.

>In one of the history documentary episodes they made, they state that sipirutality was lost after a 90 year war where 85% of humans on Earth died and nobody came from the heavens to save them.
>implying these sorts of catastrophes don't usually result in even more superstition
>implying religious people who get fucked by this sort of thing don't just assume it's a test or punishment from god
>implying they don't double down on their beliefs in an effort to prevent it happening again
>implying that even normally rational people don't often try to seek explanation from a higher cause when faced with great tragedy

First it's fucking retarded to assume that once we reach space we're reach post-scarcity. Leaving earth doesn't magically conjure "near infinite" resources by any stretch of the imagination. There will still be resources in space people will be competing over.

Further, we generally see that it isn't about having enough, it's about having more than everyone else. People don't just settle down once their needs are met, they find new things they want.
Geopolitically you also see competition between states who fear that if they get complacent their rivals will outperform and subjugate them. This means if you think democracy is best and they think communism is best (or whatever ideological disagreement) you need to stay competitive. Unless you're also loading your already stupid as shit assumption with the added stupid as shit assumption that once we leave earth we'll be a one world government with everyone ideologically agreeing with one another.

what you're really asking is a much deeper question

When faced with mutual destruction can there be peace between nations? Or is there only one true path to peace, and it must be walked alone.

I think the cold war has shown the former to be true.

>American

Shut the fuck up, Yuval Harari.
Read more Kant you piece of shit.

Are you going to try and present a counterargument or just stick to memes and fallacies?

Memes are funnier. And i get to insult americunts.

Good Lord. I hate americans and I wish i didnt. But i do.

>dude progress lmao
I hate this meme. What's the point of progress if half the people you know are fucking dead?

It's possible to set up a very lasting peace among humanity.

But if we go to space, we'll have billions of years to fuck it up, so people will fuck it up from time to time.

Future people won't be fucking dead I suppose.
It all depends on your values.

>Yuval Harari
I was gifted one of his books
What's this meme about him?

It is entirely possible that the world will end up in a nuclear war--something manufactured by "progress." It's not all vaccines and duct tape. So no, it can't be hypothesized that future people won't be fucking dead.

I guess I could counter that by saying humans are tenacious and the ones at the top know what their doing. For instance when he learn to reliably counter nukes or just all forms of mutually assured destruction our mass peace won't last more than 20 years.

>War is good, war drives technological progress more effectively than any other social regime.
Actually, cooperation in the face of imminent doom is even more effective.

Therefore, we should regularly set up a doomsday device that kills all life on the planet if, for example, we don't find a cure for cancer within the next 5 years.

That what ISIS is here for, just wait until someone leak then some WMD.

Which one?

>the ones at the top know what their doing
Appeal to authority, kek my man.

Also that was one example. Biological warfare is very real as well, and could also end up fucking us over. Climate change. There's a wealth of things blind progress can destroy us with.

Sapiens

I understand your point there, so I'll certainly concede that argument but what I said most certainly did not fall under an appeal to power logical fallacy.

Good book. I do not agree with his ideas about the Patriarchy and how nihilistic he sounds about the war.

I'm at the start more or less.
>wheat domesticated humans!

Avoid the middle chapters as soon as he starts talking about The Patriarchy.

This brings up a question.

What would a future war in space even look like?

Let's be honest here, it's not going to look like Star Wars with TIE fighter dog fights.

Don't worry i enjoy being angry at this type of shit.

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewarintro.php

One asshole shots a bolt with the power of the tsarbomba at relativistic speed at another asshole colony. Both at diferent "edges" of their solar system.

The other asshole retaliates by doing the same.

Well, war creates that sense of imminent doom, in most cases.

The Allies and Axis were each other's imminent doom, and both coalitions cooperated within themselves to attain some of the most rapid and significant technological advances in human history, while setting the groundwork for even further developments in the latter half of the century.

All depends on your priorities, I guess. Mine lie only with my own survival and the general survival of the human species, and I'm willing to accept some thin margins on that second point.

>People don't just settle down once their needs are met, they find new things they want.
Actually, that levels off eventually, as far as material goods are concerned. I read a study that found that after a certain point, people don't derive significantly more happiness from more material wealth. That study also debunked the idea that only relative wealth matters, because up to that point, their happiness increased with their absolute wealth. Which makes perfect sense, but it was nice to have that proven for the radical relativists. I don't remember where the level off point was, I think it was a couple hundred thousand income a year, something in that ballpark.

This is true.
I make a total of $9000 from my main job and 100000 from a family business a month. And i still want to kill my self.

If you make 1.2 million a year independent of your regular job, why do you work? You could do literally anything else you wanted to.

Because i got nothing I want to do and working keeps me busy. I got fucking nothing and no one. Women are with you if you buy them stupid crap. Friends are fake pieces of shit. Your family constantly tries to your dad and mum for what they believe its their inheritance even if they already have a big fucking amount of money (i had to fucking break my older brother's arm once when he tried to strangle my dad. Dumb bastard doesnt even realise that this is going to make him a Persona Non Grata). I need a job to stay sharp and use my anger for something else.

Tries to kill.

Goddamn. I wish i didnt need that pistol every time i visit my parents.

Dumbass, you do realize the reason Britain is largely atheist or non participatory in organized religion now is because of WW2 and the Holocaust?

Is that why the muslims are culturally and literally raping London?

is that a ripoff of the brunhilde?

>they think we're going to make it to space

This century is proof the Great Filter was correct.

Its not history repeating itself but rather human mindset don't really change, until we grow out of primal emotional states/responses.

If we can be AI augmented, if our emotional turmoils could be calmed with our every basic needs being met (food/shelter/sex/pursuit of happiness/liberty), then there might be a chance for a good long lasting peace.

I'm pretty sure that's just because of liberal left wing parties. Find me a source saying the old people are largely atheistic.
It's pretty well known that suffering creates religiosity.

>been on earth for milliins if years
>cant sustain ourself
Pick 1

That is the Brunhilde.

>le nazis were responsible for jet engines meme
Both the French and British had submitted turbojet designs before the Germans did (the French one couldn't be completed due to technological limitations, and the British one was actually tested), and the first German Jet-powered aircraft flew before the war started. The only reason the Germans supported development before the British was because of a flaw in their demonstration that turned off government investment. Regardless the Germans (or the British) would have supported further development of the idea whether or not there was a war, because it was more economical than the standard prop.

You would not see your opponent in a ship to ship battle. Beam based weapons would be fired at distances that it would take a few seconds for the beams to cross, so most combat would take place at at least 30 000km, probably more - especially considering that it's easily possible in space to achieve relative velocities in the tens of thousands of metres per second, with current technology. There's be ludicrous swarms of missiles, anti-missiles, CIWS lasers, and possibly relativistic railgun projectiles. Any warhead would be nuclear, and unless we discover some high-concept sci fi defensive shit, it would not take much to obliterate a ship, colony, or city. Also battles in space would be silent, aside from communications and internal noises on your own ship, at least until something hits your ship. I imagine there might be interesting acoustic effects when the hull armour successfully deflects a projectile.

What anime is this? Not even a fan of anime but space stuff gives me boners.

I actually think that space war is just logistically impossible.
Like wars need supply lines to ship new bullets and shit. How you gonna do that shit in space? Takes god damn years to get anywhere.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It has the benefit of being a legitimate novel series before it was ported to animation.

Nukes.

Assuming realism, you'd have supply dumps everywhere (since resources wont be a problem*), of course that becomes less of an issue if we ever achieve FTL. And if we ever manage to achieve post-scarcity, such as in the Culture series, then the ships will be entirely self-sufficient with internal factories and a replicator system that makes Star Trek look childlike.

War isn't so bad. I think any future where humanity colonizes space is necessarily a good one.

Industrial espionage.

Space infrastructure is too valuable and multi-nats won't let open war hurt their profit margins. Any kind of actual combat will be asymmetric, like a military vessel putting down a union revolt on an asteroid.

We're never going to space. There's literally nothing out there, it's a complete waste of money. The only reason the US went to the moon was to shove their dicks in the Russians faces. People need to stop worshiping technology and hoping Star Wars will become real life.

>casus belli
As an American we don't need a reason to go to war

Thanks.

>There's literally nothing out there, it's a complete waste of money.

There's an object in the asteroid belt called 16 Psyche. It is composed almost entirely out of iron and nickel, and has enough of these elements to match current world production for millions of years.

Everything is in space. There's almost nothing down here.