Value of virginity historically

Virginity is not very valued in today's western society, but it was until recently.

What about ancient times? were roman men expecting virgin brides?
How about ancient Greeks?
Egyptians?
Babylonians?
Is the religious prostitution thing true?

Is the value of virginity given by society or do some people value it regardless?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestal_Virgin
youtube.com/watch?v=LmbyWGCwX90
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That girl is too skinny

But to answer your question about the Romans, while losing your virginity was considered a special event for you personally, it wasn't important in a societal sense. However, there was the Vestal Virgins, the priestesses of Vesta.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestal_Virgin

>dat hip to waist ratio

HNNNGGG

>tfw never penetrated anyone
>my mom is forcing me to go see a prostitute with some low born pleb tomorrow
>just wanna stay home and read Greek philosophy
>jdimsa

>my wife was taught how to suck dick by my neighbor before I married her!
>A random dude fucked her in the ass, now I don't have to bother seeing if she likes it!
>I'm so glad because I was really busy with life and stuff.

Why is no one even trying to be romantic anymore? Why do people not care about being with only one other?

I think the virginity obsession actually popped up in the victorian era. During the Enlightenment there was a lot of unrestrained degeneracy, as religion lost it's strangle hold. Victorian moralising was a reaction against the rash of out of wedlock pregnancies (pre-birth control).

So was it Christianity that gave virginity it's importance? why? and again did it come to be valued because the bible taught it should be, or was it valued before and the bible just enforced the societal norm?

Speaking for ancient Greece, virginity was valued. For the continuation of your oikos, you needed a legitimate heir. The way to assure that is to marry women right when they are able to bear children (usually girls were married off when they were 14-16, while men were much older. In Athens the ideal marriage age for a man was 30, I believe). Also, they had to be virgins to assure that no other man had stuck his dick into her.

Virginity was important yes, but people married as early as 15 in the past, that meant starting to be sexually active earlier.

>why?

god impregnated mary without sex. sex was the first sin committed in the garden of eden

society needs a way to control people's barbarian inclinations in order to work towards building civilization and high culture. a religious justification that teaches sex is sinful is a way to accomplish this.

M8 I tried it and honestly, I couldn't go through the whole learning to sex thing again. It was fun, it was great, and it was a (series of) truly special experience(s) but I couldn't repeat it. Now I want a girl that knows what she's doing.

Im pretty sure the first sin was eating a piece of fruit

well yeah but the first thing after original sin

>Virginity is not very valued in today's western society, but it was until recently.
This is a myth. Whether or not you value virginity is almost always dependent on your lifestyle, and you see the same reoccurring patterns in almost every culture

rural, less educated country-folk are more likely to want a virgin bride, and be married and having children by the time they're 16 - 18

wealthier, better educated urban dwellers care less about the sexual history of their brides and are more likely to wait until they're 26 - 28 before settling down.

Extreme age discrepancies typically only happened with upper-class or aristocratic marriages which were more a political alliance than what we define as a traditional marriage

>Virginity is not very valued in today's western society
By who's standards ? I pretty much value it.
Virginity = purity. If she's not virgin you must without question ask thyself this : Is she worth the time ?

>Is the value of virginity given by society or do some people value it regardless?
It was particularly important in feudal-era societies where political power was tied to inheritance. If you're the only man your wife has fucked, you can be certain of the legitimacy of your children and avoid the kind of messy succession crisis that can come from having a bunch of bastards trying to assert claims.

Well she's not going to be a virgin after the first time you have sex with her, so enjoy that one, single purity fuck.

>IT'S

Christ almighty where did you go to school.

The humanity is here thanks to men choosing to take pride in serving women and thanks to women loving to be served.
=>Nobody likes a virgin boy

being a virgin means you suck at making women cum, or more generally at entertaining them, especially if you are old, while other men are already proud of fucking women and the one girl that you try to be noticed by.

For virginity in girl, betas think that motherhood is a redemption from slutiness, or non-virginity.
Of course, today, motherhood is delayed by women, if not even disliked, precisely because women want to enjoy the cock carousel for far longer then before, so the motherhood as redemption is replaced by being in a relationship.
Men accept these compromises because they never have the choice when it comes to women and even invent the meme ''our society will continue in the future so it is good that women spread their legs''.

proving my point. virgin = weaklings, not real men

this indeed. why ?
-because people know that women cannot keep their legs closed
-because people know that most men never amount to anything besides wishing to fuck women

virginity is the best discriminant for people:
-good women are not tramps
-good men manage to make something of their lives (but most men are too pathetic to do something that fucking women).

naturally, this non-hedonistic utopia never occurs:
-women spread their legs chasing their fun, especially through sex, thanks to the men ready to serve them
-very few men go beyond women
men never amount to anything besides providing entertainment for women, since providing for women is the easiest thing (even though, most of the time, they will get their orgasms from other men), especially when it comes to giving them gifts.

Why do Abrahamicucks hate nudity and sex (except paedophilia and bestiality - these are yuck)?

t. abrahamicuck
go pray to your god to impregnate your wife, you planthead

'muh antisex purity'
kys abrahamicuck

At least after marrying a virgin you'll have the peace of mind knowing other men didn't ejaculate on/inside your wife, the mother of your children.

Enjoy your used goods.

>le yugioh card of a nigger pointing out

wrong image

If you gave an argument it would be a wrong image.

being a stefan memenoux fan is a good argument in favor of you being an idiot

That is because modern men are literally cuckolds. Our ancestors are rolling in their graves at this very moment.

Fuck this gay earth.

i wanted a yugioh card with a nigger pointing out

We don't always get what we want.

>muh ancestors

I bet you're still a christcuck though.

the key that unlocks many locks is valuable.

the lock that is opened by many keys?

Video related

youtube.com/watch?v=LmbyWGCwX90

>the lock that is opened by many keys?
Handcuffs are designed to be universal, any handcuff key opens any pair of handcuffs

I am a male 23- year old virgin by choice who dated enough girls and had a relationship as well, and I can say women do respect the fact that you are a virgin and even admire it if you express your views on it. If you don't act like it is something to be ashamed of in the first place chances are pretty unlikely anyone finds it weird, unless you are talking to some slut of course, but (contrary to the ideas of the wolves of r9k of course)that's actually a minority. Just don't give a fuck and don't change your personal convictions because some BuzzFeed-addicted insta-slut finds it weird. You are better than that

>Just don't give a fuck and don't change your personal convictions because some BuzzFeed-addicted insta-slut finds it weird. You are better than that
Couldn't agree more.

hah, nice.

only teen girls accept to have a virgin provider

beastiality isn't yuck you stupid fuck

>seeing women as goods to be used

This doesn't apply to humans. Vaginas don't resemble locks, penises don't resemble keys

I bet the man you consider your father is not actually your father and your mom doesn't know who exactly it is.

>women never care about a man's career or income

Face it, marriage is a union between a bag of money and a fuck doll.

...that rhymes

this

I bet you're a fag

Female virginity was pretty much always highly valued and sacrosanct for developed sedentary civilizations.

For primitive cultures it would be much less valued to sometimes even be a liability rather than an asset. Will Durant makes that case in the History of Civilization series first book, "Our Oriental Heritage" with the early sections dealing with prehistoric origins of our morals, our economics, our culture, ect. The point was for truly primitive, hunter-gatherer or tribal (think bushmen, amazonians, ectera) where there was no property whatsoever fertility was more valuable than virginity. If you were a slut with a lot of offspring it spoke to how you were not barren and thus made you more valuable. With the rise of civilization comes the rise of property and inheritance and now virginity is a guarantee (in theory) of your wife's offspring being your own.

Other factors likely apply than just economic interests motivating religious/moral developments. Probably hunter-gatherer/primitive is more promiscuous without any kind of taboos or laws or regulations to make it subtle or hidden. Civilization's restraints make promiscuity more sneaky and hidden than just fucking in public so more pretend to be virgins or have to be.

Bear in mind female virginity before marriage is the -ideal-. It doesn't mean every society would have death penalty for a non-virgin female.

It's a metaphor for where the difficulty or challenge in courtship lies. It is much more difficult for a man than a woman. Therefore a woman who sleeps around isnt' anything impressive, a man who sleeps around is impressive.

men are wallets and dildos. women are more than holes to men.

>Bear in mind female virginity before marriage is the -ideal-. It doesn't mean every society would have death penalty for a non-virgin female.
women before marriage were not virgin back then.
Virginity is really a fantasy by men who as usual prefer to live in their deliriums than accept the truth.

>mfw I will become the Roman Emperor later in life
>mfw I will marry a chick who accpets to let me beat her with a whip
>mfw I will have a long and happy life

>thyself

Kind of but not quite, fertility was valued yes, plenty of windows and such re-married. But a women being a virgin unless she was previously married was a must especially in closer societies where everyone knows everyone else s business. Being a virgin means she hasn't bonded on a sexual level with anyone else- 'dating' is a modern concept. While would you devote time, bonding and trust to someone who was a whore and can't be trusted.

Further more any women who isn't a virgin and has been passed around is going to try hard to convince you otherwise as it makes her much less value hence why women are vicious these days against women who are more chaste.

>still doesn't hide pubic hair

>muh virginity

They just suck dick and take it in the ass while claiming virginity.

>women want nothing to do with me, I'm still a virgin past the age of 20
>i want my women to be virgins too!

How transparent and beta.

man u work at cinema cuz u projectin ayyyy lmao

>Only virgin betas want virgin girls
>I take my women pre-fucked like a true alpha!

No, I'm an alpha because I'm the one taking their virginity in the first place. Alphas have fucked like 80% of women by the time they're 18.

Enjoy my leftovers if you ever settle for some 4/10 hambeast.

Are you even trying?

When a woman is ejaculated in, that man's semen is in her forever.
Changes her DNA.
Wouldn't expect a cuck like you to care.

T. Known Boss

Nice proofs.
>Sex and Culture
Read it.
Why would anyone lie on the internet?
>disregards the Germanic Pagan Idealism centered upon Warrior Virgins such as ShieldMaidens or the Idea that Arminius was the Virgin King of the Cherusci

Reddit stop

Virginity was always valued, for instance in Ancient Greece it was considered acceptable to have sexual relations with boys but not little girls. Women were considered property, a non-virgin was considered "damaged goods." That is why they married them young (the men were around 30 and they married teenage girls), not for the purposes of procreation, but younger girls were considered to be less at risk for becoming "incorrigible." Also having women is a financial burden in a family, since they didn't earn money or earn property, which is why they tried to sell them off young with dowries, so they could get rid of them and not have to deal with them anymore.

Only very influential (rich, noble) women could get away with jumping from one man to another. But they were usually seen as unvirtuous.

So virginity was not always tied to religious purity, it was more about having a "seal of freshness" on a woman that guaranteed that she could be a good wife and good at raising a man's children.

Why did I fucking read that.

Are you referencing that study that was done on fruit flies?

Epic bait, user.

>Also having women is a financial burden in a family, since they didn't earn money or earn property,
While women may have not worked as we understand it today (carrier, salary, and all that fancy stuff), women had an essential part of the domestic economy.

They would first be taking care of the future generation by given birth, and raising them in their early age. Participate to chore, such as cleaning, cooking, making/repairing clothes, eventually farming, taking care of the cattle, help in the workshop or the shop, manage the domestics or slaves, etc...

Women weren't a dead weight, and an economical drain, if you're not so wealthy that your woman can just do nothing all day.

>which is why they tried to sell them off young with dowries, so they could get rid of them and not have to deal with them anymore
That's a practice more common in society that have monogamy. Where polygamy dominated, men would often have to pay for their wives.

>That is why they married them young (the men were around 30 and they married teenage girls)

Aristotle said the proper age for marriage was like 35 for men, and 18 for women.

because women see sex as extremely important in testing for intimacy and romance with a partner BEFORE starting a serious relationship. they go out and search for it, not just shack up with some guy and wait it out. as it turns out, some women can get laid quite easily, so there isnt much incentive to not search.

>All women can get laid quite easily

FTFY.

where did i imply or state that

what is this from?

Wa! by Akira Kojima

>Reading comprehension

Thank you user, much appreciated!

statistics say that the more partners one had, the more chance it is that you'll have to pay alimony to a used up walking masturbation device while she ruins your kids with propaganda, modern people don't like statistics

On a very base level it makes a lot of sense to value virginity before the invention of birth control, for the same reason it makes sense to have women be the property of and oppressed by her father or husband.

The base desire of humanity is to foster a new generation, and pass on one's genes. A woman will always know a child is theirs; they give birth to it. However, before paternity tests the only way to ensure that was to keep your women under your thumb, and keep them pure as a father, so that their value to future husband prospects is not diminished by the possibility of her bearing another man's child.

Naturally, most civilisations realised this so valuing virginity of women and keeping them controlled and with no rights was common to many cultures.

a woman goes for sex first because
-it is the most fun activity when the men are good enough for her
-most of the sex has no direct bad consequence for her, once she is certain of free abortion and free pills (the worst that can happen is being called a real slut , but she can feel like a bad girl when she tries and manages to hide her promiscuity)
-she has no concrete way to tell whether a man is good at sex for her, beyond trying for herself (in indirect manners, at best she has rumors form other women)
--she knows that men distort the truth about their sexual abilities
-she knows that men feel valued the most through sex (because women love good sex and men want to please women), and once a man believes that she values him positively, the man want even more to amuse and provide for her (the risk is that the man wants to please other women, once he is pumped up by her)
-when the sex is average, she lets the men know and judge them on how much they are willing to improve to please her while still claiming that they are not her little dog
-once that she established that the sex is average or good, the woman can focus on the wealth of the men and their tastes (but wealth and tastes matters to her even for pure sex)

-a woman fails to see that she is bound to get bored from sex, no matter how many good emotions she has at the beginning, no matter how good her men are.

a woman goes for sex first because

-it is the most fun activity when the men are good enough for her

-most of the sex has no direct bad consequence for her, once she is certain of free abortion and free pills
(the worst that can happen is being called a real slut , but she can retrieve pleasure by feeling like a bad girl when she tries and manages to hide her promiscuity, during pure sex, and have drama once the between the sex)

-she has no concrete way to tell whether a man is good at sex for her, beyond trying for herself
(in indirect manners, at best she has rumors form other women)

--she knows that men distort the truth about their sexual abilities

-she knows that men feel valued the most through sex (because women love good sex and men want to please women), and once a man believes that she values him positively, the man want even more to amuse and provide for her
(the risk is that the man wants to please other women, once he is pumped up by her)

-when the sex is average, she lets the men know and judge them on how much they are willing to improve to please her while still claiming that they are not her little dog

-once that she established that the sex is average or good, the woman can focus on the wealth of the men and their tastes
(but wealth and tastes matters to her even for pure sex)

-a woman fails to see that she is bound to get bored from sex, no matter how many good emotions she has at the beginning, no matter how good her men are.

>and the bible just enforced the societal norm?
A soc.norm that is proved to work quite well.

I'm an atheist (non agnostic, just saying)- but i think christfags values are good for our society IMHO.

Preventing promiscuity is goode because :
-it prevented STDs from spreading to much
-We could know who the father was in most case.

Of course now that we have condom and paternal test, we can afford to be more promiscuous.

...u wot m88?

It was valued for females (as marriage partners), pretty much everywhere where they got a reasonably complex civilization.

Promiscuity is a vice in itself. Even without STDs and with birth control, it still brings problems for the promiscuous people and society.

Sex and nudity are vilified by religion as a tool to control people.

this.

Religions are meant to leave material-bodily hedonism, travels, concerts, foods, sex and so on, for a spiritual hedonism, through prayers for theists and mediation for atheists.
Plenty of material hedonist love to think of themselves as less hedonistic than they are, since it improves their hedonism in thinking that they are not animals...most people who claim to be religious are not all, it is just the way they are.
In buddhism, you even leave this spiritual hedonism, after you have gained it, which is called jhanas, since you understand that this bliss from prayers, which is just a great, but not perfect concentration-stilness, are not personal nor permanent and that you are still prone to avidity and aversion.

Epicurus was not exactly religious and he defended celibacy.

t. a person who thinks there are three religions in the world and only has a vague familiarity with tenets of one

25 Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful.

26 I suppose therefore that this is good for the present distress, I say, that it is good for a man so to be.

27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.

28 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.

ITT: virgins

Great post, m8

What I meant is that all these insecurity about virginity being valued or not here and now has no importance whatsoever in the grand scheme of things, as most of the posters itt will realise sooner or later after finally getting laid or altogether give up on the idea.
Great post yourself, btw

cont.
The only meaningful thing being prohibition of incest, from an evolutionary psychology standpoint

>Nothing has importance whatsoever in the grand scheme of things because we're all just star dust. -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Now that birth control exists, prohibition of incest no longer makes sense
A consensual relationship between related people who use birth control is no different from a homosexual relationship (sterile union that doesnt hurt anyone)

Of course deviancies (be it incest or homosexuality) should remain a minority

Salve Octavian.

>t. chad thundercock

Every girl holds out for chad.
Occasionally slutty sally will fuck brad.

>I bet the man you consider your father is not actually your father
That'd be fucking sweet.

>That girl is too skinny

Are you me?