ITT things you refuse to belive

People in middle ages having the technology to produce skinny pants/stockings that fit closer to the body. Common the lazy painters just filled the shape of the legs with the color of the pants. It is a simplification and an idealization, because they found this aesthetically appealing.

You think our ancestors didn't have the time or knowledge to tailer form fitting clothing? They assuredly did.

I doubt you can get a fabric from natural sources that is elastic to wrap around your legs like pic related in 1200. Let''s not even talk about "constructing" this legging. Also how peasants could afford this?
I assume they used this because they liked the look. See, the dress in the girl is much easier and cheap to make. Logic says the guy should wear a dress too and not his vanity pants. Since when peasants can afford vanity items? Where they middle class? I don't know why my books never told me about this middle class that works the field.

Not trolling. I'm even starting to learn textile 101 because some medieval clothing makes no sense and seems wrong. They didn't had nylon and polyester to create such tapering.

What is the difference between a Noble and Vassal? Maybe too much CK2 on my end.

> a wealthy artisan who never had to lift a plow in his life doesn't actually know what real serfs wear

Color me shocked

>having the technology to produce skinny pants/stockings that fit closer to the body

needle, thread, and a woven wool are hardly nanotechnology, OP.

>Not trolling. I'm even starting to learn textile 101 because some medieval clothing makes no sense and seems wrong. They didn't had nylon and polyester to create such tapering.

I'm not sure if I should even start with how fucking stupid this is.

but I'd suggest you go look at "The Medieval Tailor's Assistant: Making Common Garments, 1200-1500" by Sarah Thursfield, followed by Patterns of Fashion 1-4, by Janet Arnold.

once you've consumed those, start looking at the Herjolfsnes textiles.

>Also how peasants could afford this?

you mean, why couldn't peasants afford to have loose-fitting clothes which took more fabric?

And why were large, loose baggy clothes a mark of wealth with they showed you could afford excess fabric?

Vassals didn't hold land generally, it was lent to them.

This

You know how difficult it is to make closely fitting trousers?

You wrap fabric around the leg, pull it tight and pin it in place.

Wool is naturally elastic, especially when cut on the bias, so will automatically expand to fit the wearers form.

Many complex. Very tailoring.

>tightly fitting trousers that use less material are a vanity item
>they should wear garments that have more fabric, that would be more economical

Is this one of those threads where someone blatantly knows absolutely duck all about a topic, but pontificates their theories anyway?

Evidently, you've never worn a pair of woollen socks or long johns

Pic related.

Also, OPs pic is blatantly late 1400s, not 1200.

>"The Medieval Tailor's Assistant: Making Common Garments, 1200-1500" by Sarah Thursfield, followed by Patterns of Fashion 1-4, by Janet Arnold.
Christ's glory, why do things like this even exist?

Because making reproduction medieval costumes for various purposes is a small industry in its own right.

Vassals pay allegiance to a greater lord. They are some rank of nobility and their titles are given to them by their liege.

Baron

>Because making reproduction medieval costumes for various purposes is a small industry in its own right.

and in the case of Janet Arnold, she was a wold-class conservator responsible for conservation and restoration of dozens of the objects catalogued in her books, for museums around the world, and "patterns of fashion" is pretty much the bible of medieval textile conservation.

Medieval Tailor's Assistant is more erm, tailored to the reenactment, living history, and costuming side, but its also got a degree of academia behind it.

others are doing similar reconstruction of medieval textiles at PhD level in a few places, too.

Because people desire to know how their ancestors lived?

You don't need modern miracle plastics and shit to make something that stretches, shears, and deforms.

That the great pyramids wore built using any technique other than placing the foundation stones, moving sand and them and dragging more stones pretty much on level to cover the foundation stones and so on...aliens haven't played that big of a roll in either such a long time it's prehistory or ever

*Moving sand around them (not and)
(also in case it wasn't evident i meant grading the sand from such a distance the original place of stones that went on top were basically level with the top of the stones they were going over and the wind has exposed them over time)

>Logic says the guy should wear a dress too

That the Great Pyramid was built as a tomb.

Wool doesn't stretch like rubber but it is naturally curvy, every strand is like a little spring. If you leave it loose so the little "springs" are coiled up and weave it as is, the fabric will inherit this property.

What do you think they were built for?

Where the fuck do you think you are?

you're fuckin stupid bro, or at the very least completely ignorant about fabrics and sewing

Not him, who knows but I have no doubt they knew their temples and pyramids would endure for a long damn time

Looks comfy desu

Thanks, I will look for these books. It is the third time I discover some technology is around much much earlier than I thought. Like we had everything since forever.

Nobles hold titles, such as Baron or Duke, knights are aristocrats who rank below nobles even tho they sometimes held land.

A vassal is simply someone with an overlord, which in general /includes/ all knights and nobles. Its placement on that image makes me think it signifies the non-aristocratic "direct vassals" of the nobility, such as household staff and bureaucrats.

Actually this puzzle has been solved, they built a ramp into the outside of the pyramid as they constructed it, then hid the ramp with facing stones.

Not that faggot but it's true. Men have testicles that want to hang freely, women have poor circulation and would benefit from wearing pants.

A nobleman in the 14th century was supposed to dress "so that the common people might discuss how he got it on, and where he entered it"

It was the fashion

Sometimes a Noble is a Vassal! Most of the times actually.

or King
/ l \
Baron Earl Duke

The feudal system was never as simple as that one diagram tries to show it though. Some Nobles were only nominal vassals but they did nothing for their overlord giving them free rule of their own land. sometimes a duke ranked lower than a count (because ranking was a social thing and if you were more popular with the authorities you would rank higher). There were knights who owned more land then dukes, there were dukes that owned more land than kings. Kings had knights as direct vassal etc

A vassal in a free man who has pleged allegiance to another free man, he is linked to that other guy in an honourable way, as oposed to the imposed link of serfdom, and the vassal should be able to break that link at will (more or less. I said men, but obviously it could be women.

A noble is someone whose status is enhaned over that of the simple free men by the virtue os his blood or his deeds sometimes, but the leading characteristic of the nobility is that the superiority of the nobility is legaly sustained and its inheritable.

A noble could be a vassal, and most nobles were vassals of greaters lords or sovereigns but the two words are not synonymous sensu estricto.

I mean a dress is much easier to produce than fitting trousers.

A serf is a vassal, the word just means that you have an overlord. Obviously, when a king meets with "his vassals", that means the highest nobility. But a baron talking to his peasants is every bit as much a liegelord meeting with "his vassals".

Reminder that the majority of posters on this board are comparable to OP in knowledge and IQ, hence why it is like it is.

It was inevitable, once Veeky Forums became irl fanmous, that the mouthbreathing normies would find their way here.

Can you guess how I know you are an American?

Idk, I've found most truly moronic posters are Britshits not Amerifats.

There have always been retards on Veeky Forums, since fucking forever. And nationality isn't the problem but age is.

>dat child bearing abdomen
That bitch can take my potatoes any day of the week

I still think that this board is especially dumb, even compared to others.

>tfw you always wished for a history board and then it became this useless clusterfuck it is right now

>where to go to start a thread based on personal incredulity?
>Veeky Forums always

But uses significantly more materials and takes longer to sew.

If you cut your cloth against the bias it will stretch.

Jesus do you live under a fucking rock?

Yeah, that's the one i don't believe

I mean, I know it happened, but I still have trouble believing the gramaphone existed.

>So we're going to make a flat disc of metal, right?
>And then we're going to scratch several very small grooves with a needle
>So when you run t needle through it again, you can play music.

I'll bite.

I have a hard time a provincial commander granted imperium would rape the wife and daughters of a foederatus and flog them publicly. I believe later accounts just pinned boudica's rebellion on paulinus later on to give her a solid reason to rebel rather than recognize the fragile hold over the region.

>there's no stretch in linen or wool
>textiles can't be tailored to fit the shape of the leg
Have you no eyes or hands?

These materials are still around today, you can see them for yourself.

>uses significantly more materials
Don't be a faggot.

>Is this one of those threads where someone blatantly knows absolutely duck all about a topic, but pontificates their theories anyway?

no those are the lindybeige threads

that looks fucking amazing

thats just bad spinal form has nothing to do with the reproductive organs

>it's another "modern people think common items from old times (each of which was custom-made) must have been of low quality, unlike the cheap modern mass-produced items they normally buy - when they're not paying several times more for 'artisan' products instead that is" episode

Modern clothing is made of superior material though and always accurarely sewn. Please enlighten me on how standard jeans are inferior to pants from the middle ages.

The UK loaded it's ships with gunpowder while claiming they weren't for a war effort and expected them not to be attacked.

Depends on whether you're talking Levi's or Kirkland.

This one has been proven to be a plot to get the US into the war, iirc they even released papers admitting to such.

The material in old days wasn't bad at all. Industrial production triumphed based on cost cutting, not quality.

>always accurarely sewn

Accurate to what? Most clothes from the middle ages were made to measure for a particular person. The clothes today are made to a standard cut to match the common denominator.

No free man would let anyone call him "serf", a vassalage is an honourable thing, a link which regulates the unequal relation between two free people. Serfdom is not, while its posible for a free person to renounce to his freedom to become serf to someone else, thats not a honourable deed while vassalage is, its shameful, very shameful.

In your example you seem to imply that those peasants are not free, and they can be of free status and be "dependant" and thus vassals to that baron. Of course, barons and kings and tons of people back in the day had unfree dependants who were serfs, and sometimes those serfs could be refered as vassals (just like a non-noble woman could be adressed as "donna" in a document) by a polite lord or more likely scribe, or by the serfs themselves (as they usually tried to get rid of the most shameful labels).
But a vassals being referred as serf? That would be a insult, a very serious one.

>tfw we'll never have autistically detailed recorded history for precolumbian american history

Imagine how cool it would be if european empires left them more or less alone. We would essentially have two completely parallel histories to study. How fucking cool would that be?

They were alone for long enough, the problem is the lack of writing and record keeping.

Same with places like eastern Europe/Slav lands where we barely know anything about pre-Christian history.

What you should do is sweep in as gods, give them writing and fuck off. Maybe watch from afar.

In the future it would be cool if wasteful to simply seed a terraformed planet with colonists and fuck off for several millennia just to return and see what became of then. Or you could use computer simulations for that.

Maybe we're just that sort of fun experiment, just aliens fucking around with a pseudorandom vhistory generator.

Sorry but cancer is not real.

ITT: We've never been to the local Ren Faire.

that wasnt the defacto case since the 11th century anymore

They had writing though. Even pretty complicated and detailed land surveys and shit, pic related

TELL ME MORE OF THIS MAP

But that's clearly Spanish, I can even make out some words.

Correct, that's clearly a European writing style.

sadly true

duh what language do you think they speak in South America?

*pubescent screeching* A big section of it speaks Portuguese

I was talking about the human population.