What was African American urban life before the 1960s?

What was African American urban life before the 1960s?

How insular were their communities? Did gang violence exist? Would a black teenager in 1940s Harlem have any hope of dying wealthier?

good question, not memeing

I hope someone on this board has an answer

Lazy yardbirds with their jazz cigarettes, typically fine as long as they didn't look at the white ladies.
>obtaining wealth
That's asking for a beating.

It was still pretty dangerous.

The police didn't really bother to police black neighborhoods, and heroin hit early for black America.

In Harlem in the 1920s, the homicide rate for blacks was 13 times that of whites, but I don't know how representative that was of urban America in general.

meme answer.

Do u no whre u r !?
KEEEEK

Getting stabbed up for nothing
Your house broken into daily
Any white police officer shooting you
If your a black woman expect to be violently raped sometime
Getting the living tar beaten out of you by gangs of random black people for no reason
Literally anything you dont have bolted down will disappear
Get use to seeing black people casually walking around with guns
Lots of drug addicts all over the place
Sexual harrassment everywhere

Lmao

1940s /pol/

I keep hearing from more conservative circles that incidents like that were less likely at the time before more liberal policies took over

Given how rampant the mafia was in 20s white communities, the black murder rate must have been HUGE.

Really funny when anime Nazis pretend that black people were better off 60 years ago

Eating fried chicken. Eating watermelon. Being lazy. Fishing. Playing blues and jazz music. Shining shoes, share cropping, proto-kanging.

>The police didn't really bother to police black neighborhoods,
Sounds like modern day Chicago, I think black people really ought to rethink the whole #stopoverpolicingus bullshit being pushed by BLM.

I don't think black people are capable of thinking in a hive mind.
Only memes can do that.

The single motherhood rate was a lot lower before the 60s.

That's the main reason why so many black people are in long term poverty today.

Noting a general sentiment doesn't mean it's a hive mind, the idea of overpolicing being a problem definitely seems to be popular.

Sounds totally different from today's urban black communities

No it was hidden in other ways by women claiming that they were widows or the dad is on a long trip.

Also Single motherhood is not the reason of long term poverty in the black community but it's the generic go to "I don't know much about the topic" arguments by blacks and whites is coming up with a reason of why poverty is so rampant

The existence of high-crime areas doesn't overlap with the institutionalized racism present in America's justice system.

There are more plots on the scale then

>police get out reeee

and

>police do your jobs reeee

They didn't have mass immigration or desegregation to pinch their employment opportunities.

Desegregation opened up so many jobs to blacks

Well... at least the music was better