Is this still the definitive go-to history of Nazi Germany?

Is this still the definitive go-to history of Nazi Germany?

is long as fuck, never could finish it

No. And it never really was.

What do you recommend then?

I want a real peer-reviewed history book, so no /pol/ autism plz

Written by a non-historian, has lots of inaccuracies

Evans' trilogy is good

Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer is good

and Richard J Evans Third Reich trilogy is great to.

The Greatest Story Never Told, the ultimate truth. Prepare to get red-pilled AF.

It provides everything, including the Danzig Massacre that is always omitted from those Jewish textbooks that corrupt the youth and destroy society. Even fucking Veeky Forums is too Jew'd to realize the truth.

This guy has it.

Have some good additions:

The 12 year Reich by Richard Grunberger is a good place for "what was the 3rd Reich like."

Ian Kershaw's Hitler biography is the go to on the man at the center of it.

The Wages of Destruction by Adam Tooze is a good place for the German Economy.

Ordinary Men by Christopher Browning is essential reading.

I'm him and you're right. Ordinary Men is great. Once you've read it it would be intellectually stimulating to read Hitler's WIlling Executioners if you can suffer through it just to get a sense of where modern nazi historiography is at.

(you)

INTENTIONALISM BLOWN THE FUCK OUT.

There, I just saved you the Goldhagen-Browning "Debate"

Reading Speer's book at the moment, when I started I had no idea who he was yet I could tell from the first chapter he was a spineless loser. Looking him up afterward only reaffirmed my assumption. Despite this, the book has been a fantastic read so far.

Shirer was a fun read but he is biased as fuck.

Not even close to objective.

He writes about the lamp shades and soap.

Interestingly he ends major Jewish pogroms in 1943 and sees them moved to labor camps instead.

Everyone who supported hitler was 'stupid, low intelligence, toadie, thug, etc' Everyone who conspired against him was 'intelligent, smart, well liked, popular'.

He didn't even read Mein Kampf all the way through nor bother to understand it. He just goes, well idk what he was talking about man, it was long.

Inside the Third Reich by Speer is truly the best. He was there. Goebbels's diaries are also good.

The old David Irving book before he went nuts was considered very good by his peers but has since lost popularity for obvious reasons.

I'm going to read Kershaw and Toland soon.

Speer and Goebbels are best. I'd try Kershaw if you want an actual biography.

I just get annoyed because Shirer goes full comic book bad guy and doesn't bother pretending to be fair. His thesis is Hitler lies about everything and he narrates the story around that idea which just doesn't explain a lot of details that he clearly knew about but left out. For example you'll read stuff in Goebbels that contradicts the Shirer story and Shirer clearly had access to Goebbels and chose to leave it out for the more exciting story.

I will say Shirer's style is very good, as in its a fun read because he makes all the characters interesting. I plan on reading his book on the Third Republic despite my harsh criticism of this book.

>Speer
Isn't he one of those "I WAS A GOOD BOY I DINDU NUFFIN I SWEAR" self-serving ex-Nazis ala Fritz Fischer?

I avoid everything written by an Anglo historian, not just on nazi Germany but literally everything. Biggest horseshit peddlers ever and I'm not sure why they're so prominent in historical literature.

This x1.000.000

German historians are often even more critical of the regime. Fest and Mommsen describe NSDAP as a criminal organization practically run by gangsters. Hamann proves that Hitler was a pathological liar. Winkler is incredibly critical about everything that happened to Germany after the unification and so on.

Fuck I hate useless posts like this

Just go fuck your mother you non contributing cunt

Your post consisted of two empty statement, backed by no explaination, rationale or information

Absolutely useless to anyone, just like the person who typed it

Kill yourself

At least I was able to answer OP's question. Unlike you.

You didn't answer his question though, faggot

He asked to be informed, and you did not inform him. You merely stated that you think the book isn't definitive. You have no reason why

That is utterly useless to anyone who reads it

Don't fight it, you know I'm right. Contribute more in dialogues in the future or just don't talk. Up your fucking game

I'm surprised this book hasn't been banned as homophobic hatespeech in my country with the way he holds up insinuations of every major Nazi figure's supposed homosexuality to show how corrupt they were.