Best and worst designed helmets

What were the best designed helmets to protect your head during a battle and what is the worst, and why is it the brodie helmet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KVFm1dc8luM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Best - Brodie
Worst - Stahlhelm

Source:
youtube.com/watch?v=KVFm1dc8luM

Brodie wasn't nearly as bad as you think. It was great at protecting the British soldiers from bullets and other projectiles while the troops were in the trenches.

can't you just read all the other reruns of this thread in the archive?

could be worse I guess like the non-Belgian helmet

go away lindy

Modern helmets are shaped a lot like the Stahlhelm and I believe the US army originally used a helmet similary to the stahlhem in WWII but abandoned it due to being mistaken for Germans.

So probably the Stahlhelm type.

Those guys look pretty tbqh

pretty cool*

gayyyyyyyyyy

Best one

Isn't any modern helmet by default better than any other helmet from a functionality standpoint?

Best - Stahlhelm
Worst - Pickelhaube

>a helmet that covers the entire top of your head, when you spend most of your time in a trench and most dangers are going to come directly from above
>bad

Every "best designed" modern helmet is basically a modified version of stahlhelm

we /aesthetic/ now

fucking knew it it's gonna be Lindybait

This is perfect helmet design. You may not like it but this is what peak battlefield ergonomics looks like.

Only VI combines maximum protection with minimal perception and head mobility loss, but yeah, roman helmets in general were very well designed.

Modern helmets are designed for modern combat doctrine, and for protection your head from shrapnel and shit. For that they're no doubt better than earlier designs. For protecting your head from a sword blow? I doubt it.

In ww1, it was definitely the brodie helmet. It protected your head and inner shoulders from shrapnel fire.

The best in ww2 was the American m1.

Visored Barbute > The rest

The visored barbute didn't actually exist, my man. It was an error by 19th century reconstructionists

>Like I care when I look this dope.

>be American
>worship German military
>invade Iraq
>claim it's more of an achievement than conquering France and the Low Countries

How does anyone take America seriously?

that's a sallet.

You sallet, I barbute.

>Segmented plates riveted to a band

It's like your metal industry got killed in the third century senpai

Best steel-helmet.

Stahlhelm and its modern, American descendant are poor infantry helmets.

The lower back, designed to cover the neck, pushes the helmet up and off the head whenever soldiers lie prone.

This is why the US military is slowly phasing out the Stahlhelm-like helmet, in favour of ones without neck protection.

Just like the Brody, minus the lip.

Is there a medieval equivalent to this helmet, or any other Roman type such as the Galea and Montefortino (which isn't really Roman)?

Lobster pots and the like are post-medieval.

One thing that I noticed is that the majority of helmet types in classical Europe were open-eared regardless of where exactly they were from, while medieval ones usually weren't. One of the few exceptions I can tgink of are kettle hats and such, but even then chances are that padding and mail might cover the ears.

I wonder if there's a reason behind it? Was there something about ancient warfare that made hits to the side of the head less probable? I was thinking it could be correlated to the length of cutting weapons - sword blades were far shorter and two-handed polearms and such were rare. Also helmets were typically made of expensive stuff like bronze, which may have limited helmet size in some cases.

Vision is overrated

Most of your early medieval helmets are constructed in more or less the same way as late Roman helmets.

By the time we see single piece skull caps being used again under a mail coif we're at the Crusades. The first true one piece helmet we see then is the bascinet but it looks nothing like those Roman type helmets you mentioned.

Hinged cheek plates weren't popular during the High and Late Middle Ages as far as I can tell. I believe Burgonets were the first one to use them again after the Early Medieval Helmets did.

As for open ears. Might be function or it might indeed be the weapons they faced. The shields of Early and High medieval soldiers weren't as large as a hoplon or scutum. Some were, but many weren't.

Correct

>IIII
>triggerd.

You know that's a visor you can lift up, right?

>muh "they used the wings because they made noise at high speed" meme
lets be honest, the only reason hussars wore them was because they looked savage af

Actually that is a valid way to write it
The larger round and kite shields definitely approach or exceed the size of a Scutum or Hoplon. There were other large shields like the infantry pavise too.
In addition, let's not forget that not all classical infantry shields were necessarily very big. The oval type of shields that were common across multiple cultures (Celtic shields, Thyreos, auxiliary Clipeus, etc) often isn't depicted as being very large, though of course size varied.

I guess the ketle hat's relatively unobstructed hearing is one of the reasons it stayed around for so long. Also some sallets seem to have been kinda loose around the side of the head, which depending on the suspension method may have helped a bit.

What's up with that Stahlhelm?

Thanks for posting this. Too many Wehraboos in this thread spouting shit.

The Brodie was a fine helm for the intended fucking purpose of steel helmets: stopping overhead shrapnel.

I don't care if this helmet is best or worse, I just love the look of it. I would love if people today made helmets like this with today's materials, techniques, and technology. Then wore them in war, fucking badass.

This thing sucked. It would be embedded into your cranium if anything passed through it.

It's too bad that the most functional design is so damn ugly. The original helmet is fab as fuck.

That horse looks like a haggard, single mother of 5 living in a trailer park

I reckon it would set you back something between 15.000 and 35.000

>What were the best designed helmets

The Boeotian Helm.

Are you even trying?

looks like someone is triggered about the fact that the Stahlhelm is vastly better than the shitty brodie, a design that's nowhere to be found nowadays and for a good reason.

Best Helmet (pic related)

Worst Helmet - Shitty third world ripoffs of the M1 such as the M80

I'd rather endure the discomfort and not bleed out from a gunshot wound to the jugular thank you.

More proof that the US Military post-2001 can't do anything right.

>Iraqi M80 helmet
>constructed from compressed layers of fabric coated in plastic
Was the helmet seriously made without any metals? Weren't there any concerns about protection?

The only real reason that they changed it to that was because nobody wanted the police walking around with the same helmet as the Nazis

Helmets before and under WW1 were not intended to protect you from bullets because they couldn't.

the pickelhaube wasnt a helmet,it was a cap that LOOKED like a helmet.

Swiss WWI helmet

When I got to upgrade from an ACH to Ops-core the difference was night and day. When you have to wear that shit for hours, and run around, march, start getting hot, et c. you vastly prefer a lightweight helmet, and the fact that my ear protection clips on the the opscore and can flip up when I don't need it is great. It's ridiculously simple to adjust and easily modified.

This is someone who does not know what he's talking about.

>Veeky Forums Tier
II, III, IIII, VI, XI
>Would wear to battle but not to parade Tier
V, VIII, IX, X
>might as well be a german Tier
the rest

Might be that sound commands were more preveilant in classical warfare, while medieval combatants relied more on flags and other visionary objects in fight.

the only reason the nazis didn't adopt that very same helmet themselves was that it looked goofy af

what modern helmets can protect you from bullets
stronger than pistol caliber?

stahlhelm ist best helm

Aesthetic and good for jousting

>The best in ww2 was the American m1.
Looks like you seen band of brothers a little two much

>posting lindy video

VI looks like you'd lose your hearing. If it weren't for the weird crest on III, I'd say it's the best

too long

I still love that in the 90s, a lot of games gave you +1 or +5 or +10 armor for each Barbutta you collected.

what's your problem with late centurion helmets you fucking homo

I think it looks like a fish

Even in Wolfenstien: New Order, you can do that with nazi armors

Looks gay 2bh

We need to put this in a master infograph of "Things Wehraboos think are awesome but were actually shit"

We'd have:
> Panther
> Tiger
> StG-44
> G-43
> MP-40
> Stahlhelm
> 88mm Flak
> Kubelwagen
> Bf-109
> Me-163
> Me-262
> He-117
> The entire Waffen SS

Veeky Forums as fuck boy

this

The Swiss army used to look great during the 1930s and 40s
It's a shame they never saw action

But Come and See literally is blatantly propaganda though, even if the movie is pretty aesthetic by itself.

Also the STG, Flak 88, and BF109 were perfectly fine.

>so damn ugly
It is because the original is basically a symbol of German forces and used in all WWII entertainment while the NVA variant is some obscure "commie" shit?
Because the NVA looks very good with them.
If you look long and hard at the original Stahlhelm it start to look silly.

>implying the NVA wasn't aesthetic

>the Irish were still using these in the 17th century

Modern helmets are based on the Steel pot, not the Stahlhelm.

NVA was basically Wehrmacht + the new helmet

Not a wehraboo, but what's wrong with the flak88? It was good at it's designed purpose and using it successfully as an AT weapon was a happy coincidence that worked pretty fucking well.

There's literally nothing wrong with the flak 88 and it was an effective weapon. You don't have to hate everything German in order to avoid being a wehraboo.

>best
stahlhelm
>worst
whatever that shit the british wore
>mixed
russian and american helmets

But Stalin did kill more

Best helmet coming through.

name a better helmet used in WWII
protip: you can't

Steel pot.

'no'