What is the dark side of being intelligent?

What is the dark side of being intelligent?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressive_realism
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no one will ever love you and life is an endless pit of despair where the only source of happiness will come from your transient ''accomplishments'' as they happen

There is no dark side, for when, by the fruits of your intelligence, you have cast away any phony god's blessing, you will finally be be wholly enlightened. In that moment, you will become euphoric

You will eventually come to despise those unequal to you, because they are holding back the pursuit of knowledge

If we were real intelligent we'd posting in Veeky Forums anyway.

I wouldn't call myself particularly intelligent, but in my experience legitimately intelligent people have a very high opinion of the average person and project their high intelligence on to the rest of the world, assuming everyone is more or less rational and on their level.

In my opinion

>but in my experience legitimately intelligent people have a very high opinion of the average person and project their high intelligence on to the rest of the world

>To show your intelligence and discernment is only an indirect way of reproaching other people for being dull and incapable. And besides, it is natural for a vulgar man to be violently agitated by the sight of opposition in any form; and in this case envy comes in as the secret cause of his hostility. For it is a matter of daily observation that people take the greatest pleasure in that which satisfies their vanity; and vanity cannot be satisfied without comparison with others. Now, there is nothing of which a man is prouder than of intellectual ability, for it is this that gives him his commanding place in the animal world. It is an exceedingly rash thing to let any one see that you are decidedly superior to him in this respect, and to let other people see it too; because he will then thirst for vengeance, and generally look about for an opportunity of taking it by means of insult, because this is to pass from the sphere of intellect to that of will--and there, all are on an equal footing as regards the feeling of hostility. Hence, while rank and riches may always reckon upon deferential treatment in society, that is something which intellectual ability can never expect; to be ignored is the greatest favor shown to it; and if people notice it at all, it is because they regard it as a piece of impertinence, or else as something to which its possessor has no legitimate right, and upon which he dares to pride himself; and in retaliation and revenge for his conduct, people secretly try and humiliate him in some other way; and if they wait to do this, it is only for a fitting opportunity. A man may be as humble as possible in his demeanor, and yet hardly ever get people to overlook his crime in standing intellectually above them.

>You should know that foolish people are a hundredfold more averse to meeting the wise than the wise are indisposed for the company of the foolish.On the other hand, it is a real recommendation to be stupid. For just as warmth is agreeable to the body, so it does the mind good to feel its superiority; and a man will seek company likely to give him this feeling, as instinctively as he will approach the fireplace or walk in the sun if he wants to get warm. But this means that he will be disliked on account of his superiority; and if a man is to be liked, he must really be inferior in point of intellect; and the same thing holds good of a woman in point of beauty. To give proof of real and unfeigned inferiority to some of the people you meet--that is a very difficult business indeed!

tl;dr You've either met very, very good actors or not quite so intelligent individuals to begin with.

If you're in any non stem field you realize that you'll always be muffled, outnumbered and outvoted by the masses who are too blind to see how indoctrinated they are, how unshakable they are when it comes to what they've been taught (be they communists, /pol/, radical muslims, loud atheists, some christians)

That you will never be satisfied with anything 'normal' ever again for the rest of your days.

The crushing depression associated with knowing what could be, but never was.

you get a wicked sense of humor

not being intelligent enough

what's your position you on your own graph, user?

>Schopenhauer
>intelligent

3/10

l'humour est la politesse du désespoir

Lack of general satisfaction and trouble feeling entertained

at least that's where I'm at now

iktf. keep going user

>anyone in this thread
>intelligent

Mental illness is a J-shaped curve: it clusters highly in low IQ and high IQ populations alike.

good thing i'm so dumb, it seems

This, but instead of despising them I just feel like they're a less developed lifeform who is deserving of my compassion. The strong should protect the weak, from themselves especially

I don't think bipolar disorder encompasses all mental disorders

what is the distribution for depression

underrated

>What is the dark side of being intelligent?

Being able to manipulate all the little low-IQ roaches around you at will.

They will never know the malevolent cunning of a true high-IQ master such as myself as they run through the maze I create for them.

Just like everyone in this thread. That means you too, roach.

Turning into a control freak is generally one of the vices with high intelligence.

>To Be Continued

Intelligence has a direct correlation with insanity

More likely to kill yourself

How intelligent we talking here? Above average or autismo levels?

I like how you made yourself believe you are on the side of the intelligent.

>implying anyone on this board would know

They always do, not realizing they've fallen into the dunning-kruger trap.

PROTIP: If you're *all* ""above-average"" in intelligence, where's the fucking average?

when every one you loves expect great things out of your intelligence and your life becomes a living hell and your never happy

its why i act so stupid i am just alot happier

ITT endless edge.

The dark side of intelligence should be "knowing enough to know that you'll never know enough". But there is a difference between "knowledge" and "wisdom".

is literally the exact same as Veeky Forums except instead of obscure history events and LARPing it's obscure scientific theories and asking some depressed, jobless Physics professor to do your homework.

Dealing with the temptation to Jew people.

I have severe depression and wanna kill myself erryday

Intelligent people may become anxious and depressed because they acutely perceive problems in the world, especially before anyone else perceives them at all.

There is the temptation to be arrogant, although I think it really has more to do with personality and level of wisdom.

Hubris/Arrogance.

Intelligence people are (surprisingly, to me) rather prone to foolish behavior as well as idiotic logic. I guess that's why wisdom and intelligence are two difference concepts.
I honestly don't know what's worse: stupid people who aren't smart enough to get fooled by bullshit or "intelligent" people who are bright enough to get caught in mental pit-traps but not bright enough to be able to cut through the bullshit.

responsibility

The latter. Most times, the former is still open to new information and their opinions aren't as rigid.

There is literally nothing worse than knowitalls.

Nihilism and a wicked sence of humor.

>that think when to intelligent too have dark side

There is none. Intelligent people are happier.

If they have a problem they sit and think and brainstorm, they find a solution and execute it while normies are stuck in their ways and spend their lives like that.

>ignorance is bliss
Death is a really big problem and you don't have to be smart to see it coming. So why aren't you anxious and depressed about this (unless it is personally affecting you right now)? Because you haven't worked yourself up over it, you don't spend all day dreading what will happen, you view horrors like bone cancer abstractly. You can look it up on wikipedia right now, look at all the technical terms and not really care.

It is the same with the innumerable other problems in the world. Maybe you should feel bad, but you don't have to.

>le edge
If I wanted to I could kidnap women, skin them, wear their skins and get away with it, but why bother? Similar to the last one, if I had sadistic impulses the most effective means of sating them would be to introspect a little, figure out where these emotions come from and use that to figure out an easy way to sate them. I would convince myself that every time I finish a bit of code I am proving to my abusive stepfather that he was wrong and gain my catharsis that way while simultaneously getting one step closer to making my first million before the age of 30 while he continues to be a worthless piece of shit.

Knowing shit

>I would convince myself that every time I finish a bit of code I am proving to my abusive stepfather that he was wrong and gain my catharsis that way while simultaneously getting one step closer to making my first million before the age of 30 while he continues to be a worthless piece of shit.

this isn't a healthy outlet, this is just using money to define yourself as a salve while your actual relationship with your stepdad goes unaddressed.

if you are successful, you'll collapse in your thirties when you realize this. if you aren't, the collapse will come much sooner.

cringeworthy. deflection instead of counseling. yeah, you're definitely going places. regular einstein.

>that think when to intelligent too when elections

criminally underrated, evident by the lack of (You)s

Arrogance. You're smart on some things, which tends to make you're smart about ALL things, which also means you tend to think you're smarter/better than anyone around you. Which makes for a nasty surprise when you come across someone who knows more about something than you do and smacks you down hard.

hook, line and sinker

I sincerely hope your edginess is blunted by the time you finish college otherwise you're entering a world of pain

Being a sperg is the dark side of intelligence

>maybe you should feel bad, but you don't have to.
You don't know what it is to lose something that you love.

This
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressive_realism

Nihilism and a wicked sense of humour.

Frustration.

Autism

labeling yourself exclusively as "intelligent" is pretty fucking arrogant but I like to think that I'm more reflected than others, at least in some sense
that lately makes me feel resgination along with the periodical peaks of arrogance which I try to repress as soon as possible, it's not healthy, in a social sense at least

You live a life of pure suffering because you are not able to enter the delusion normies live in. You see the world for what it really is: a cold dark degenerate shithole.

There is no. Most of the things pointed out are because the posters are massive faggots and autists, not because they are too smart.

Anyone who thinks they're intelligent and different are actually stupid.

Literally one of the few right answers in this thread

So a cynical person is the opposite of a smart person.

>Intelligence people are (surprisingly, to me) rather prone to foolish behavior as well as idiotic logic.

That's the definition of stupid person.

You are describing a person who is both intelligent and depressed.
There are plenty of intelligent people who are not depressed (though I must admit that there is a great correlation between intelligence and depression).

Realizing how many stupid people there are in the world

It is a healthy outlet, I know I shouldn't indulge in aggression and should try to let it atrophy, but I still have it, so when I get mad I direct it towards something productive.

>you're definitely going places. regular einstein
>you're entering a world of pain
I take it this has something to do with the last part of my post. Why is it a crime to want to make money? Everyone wants money. How will focussing on making money more than average make me worse off than average?

Why must I pretend to be stupid just because some dunning-kruger afflicted fedoras pretend to be more intelligent than they really are? About half the people you meet are more intelligent than average. Is it really far fetched that someone you meet might be intelligent? Note I posted anonymously, never said I am intelligent outright and this discussion is about intelligence, it is not like I'm bragging about how smrt I am to convince you to suck my dick.

It is odd how people get so triggered by these things.

>deflection instead of counseling
>edginess
I'm not really going to skin women, buffalo bill from the film Hannibal just sprung to mind as an example to use.

pretty but I can't do much to prevent the decline of coral reefs

Ignorance is a bliss

I wouldn't know.

Realizing that it's all a game and most people are npcs. Including yourself. You are smart but not smart enough to be a player.

>when you look at the comments and realize again, as you have before, that most of the posters are teens or just over 20.
Nobody explained this to me when i was your age but you have very distinct thinking patterns and oppinions. I would look into that since, if you are indeed intellent, intelligence doesnt seem to guard you against certain phases of life and thought that are characteristic of a certain age.

This is a lie.
severely underrated.
>holding back
>implying you're not just slightly above average
>implying you aren't holding back their fickle hedonistic pursuits
>implying knowledge is better than pleasure
>human calculators
>intelligent
pick one
Yes, but this doesn't mean they aren't pragmatic.
This is surprisingly true.
Intelligent people aren't maniacal brooding evil masterminds seeking to dominate their self proclaimed "lessers".
Nah dude, its only modernistic people who exalt fashion that are vain in a detrimental way.
Who wouldn't want an intelligent person as their friend or teammate?
It's literally retarded to scorn someone because they are better, their skills are your skills, you've just got more work involved in using them.
Friends should be a point of pride, not a point of comparison.
The inability to set aside the self is the root of this corrupted form of pride.

>can't do much to prevent decline of coral reefs
There is so much to be done actually.
The solution to. The solution to the spratlys was relatively straightforward, don't burry them.
Even if nothing could be done that would not stop me from having to deal with the death of everything I love in the world and my lives passion.