Who is the most Progressive/Liberal and most Conservative Pope ever?

Who is the most Progressive/Liberal and most Conservative Pope ever?

Other urls found in this thread:

snopes.com/politics/quotes/popeatheist.asp
snopes.com/pope-forbids-catholics-from-voting-for-hillary-clinton/
cruxnow.com/vatican/2017/01/02/vatican-debunks-fake-pope-quotes-christianmuslim-merger/
ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/debunking-three-urban-legends-about-pope-francis
christianpost.com/news/vatican-debunks-fake-pope-quotes-calling-jesus-muhammad-distinctly-the-same-172555/
time.com/4013801/the-top-4-misconceptions-about-pope-francis/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Most conservative = St. Peter
Most progressive = Pope Francis

>most Progressive/Liberal
Fab Francis
>most Conservative
Pius X

There's never been a pope named Peter

Catholics aren't Christian

t. pr*testant heretic

Francis' progressivism is nothing more than a facade

>most liberal
>fucking Francis!?
Ya'll bring up Pope Francis, who has just said shit (largely quoted out of context) and not done anything.

Meanwhile, not one post for Pope Paul VI who fucking resided over Vatican II, the most radical progressive top-down change in both fundamental rules and core nature the Church has ever seen.

SHAME!

(Also Pope Innocent III for most conservative - gotta get some credit for decimating the largest portion of the European population ever, outside of the black plague, when he slaughtered all those Cathar heathens and wiped their religion from map and memory.)

Francis isn't saying anything that past popes haven't said, people like to contrast him to JPII but the only difference is that JPII hated commies so that made his talk about the immorality of hard capitalism acceptable.

>the eternal Jesuit pays some lip service to issues regarding poverty while sitting on a mountain of Vatican gold and suddenly he's the darling of the liberal media

so progressive!

>and not done anything

read your bible user

Clockwork

Fuck off. If you believe Jesus is God (which Catholics do) then you're a Christian.

Should rephrase - has not *changed* anything. Though he isn't actually the first pope to wash some random moor's feet, nor the first to advocate for immigrants or even open borders.

Don't forget about the trinity, brother.

Credo in Deum Patrem omnipotentem, Creatorem caeli et terrae,
et in Iesum Christum, Filium Eius unicum, Dominum nostrum,
qui conceptus est de Spiritu Sancto, natus ex Maria Virgine,
passus sub Pontio Pilato, crucifixus, mortuus, et sepultus,
descendit ad infernos, tertia die resurrexit a mortuis,
ascendit ad caelos, sedet ad dexteram Dei Patris omnipotentis,
inde venturus est iudicare vivos et mortuos.
Credo in Spiritum Sanctum,
sanctam Ecclesiam catholicam, sanctorum communionem,
remissionem peccatorum,
carnis resurrectionem,
vitam aeternam.
Amen.

There is one God (Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 45:5-6). Yet there are three persons presented as deity in Scripture: the Father (John 6:27; Colossians 1:3), the Son (John 1:1-3, 14; 8:24; 20:28-29; Romans 9:5; Titus 2:13; 2 Peter 1:1; Hebrews 1:10-12) and the Holy Spirit (John 14:16-17; Acts 5:3-4; 2 Samuel 23:2-3; 2 Corinthians 3:18). Lastly, these three are presented as distinct persons (John 8:16-18; Luke 11:1; 3:21-22; Galatians 4:6). Thus from Scripture we learn that although there is one God, there are three distinct persons who are deity. So the Trinity is the biblical position to hold to once one examines what Scripture teaches.

This.

When Jesus had washed their feet and put on His outer garments, He reclined with them again and asked, "Do you know what I have done for you? You call Me Teacher and Lord, and rightly so, because I am. So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example so that you should do as I have done for you. Truly, truly, I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

This doesn't say Jesus sucked on muslim feet

I'm pretty surprised that you don't understand what "sucking" means, considering it's your favourite pastime.

I hear this all the time but it's a fucking retarded point to make.

The institution of the papacy is a facade in and of itself. It has no power in the real world, only symbolism and the power of persuasion. Hence, if the pope assumes a liberal facade, then that papacy will be liberal. There is no hidden agenda that he can carry out, because all his power lies in his word.

epic!

>Kissing the feet of the negroes and washing the feet of his disciples and friends is the same

NOPE
O
P
E

In the scope of the church, the pope's word is the word of God, and he's entirely capable of making decrees to radically change the religious policies of the church as many other popes have. (A church which governs over 1.2 billion people's religious lives as the largest religious institution in the world),

If all he does is say "Be excellent to each other and party on dude", but doesn't make any institutional changes (such as Pope Paul VI did), then yes, he's liberal in word only, and not in deed. Thus, facade.

Though a lot of it is folks just taking quotes out of context as well, and occasionally outright lies:

snopes.com/politics/quotes/popeatheist.asp

snopes.com/pope-forbids-catholics-from-voting-for-hillary-clinton/

cruxnow.com/vatican/2017/01/02/vatican-debunks-fake-pope-quotes-christianmuslim-merger/

ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/debunking-three-urban-legends-about-pope-francis

christianpost.com/news/vatican-debunks-fake-pope-quotes-calling-jesus-muhammad-distinctly-the-same-172555/

time.com/4013801/the-top-4-misconceptions-about-pope-francis/

...and so on and so forth... A lot of it is just people trying to use the public perception of the pope towards their own political ends.

fuck off, Catholic theology is not going to change no matter how much you want it to. If you don't like our beliefs like homosexual sex is a sin or that women can't become priests, fine, go form your own church. But don't act like we're going to change our beliefs.

All you people demanding the Catholic church "change" aren't even Catholics, you just hate us and want to see us fail.

Catholics and Orthodox Christians are the only true followers of the church of St. Peter handpicked by Christ, rather than some German on a power trip or an obese english king who wanted a new wife

>what is the good samaritan?

>fuck off, Catholic theology is not going to change no matter how much you want it to.
I don't personally care one way or the other, but my point was that Francis hasn't made any changes, and likely won't, thus he is not a "liberal pope".

But your Church is prone to the occasional radical change - Vatican II wasn't that long ago, in addition to good ol' reformation. The migration to a Mary-centricworship, moving to a globally inclusionary evangelical model, etc, all pretty radically changed the nature of the church. No human institution remains static and survives.

Could just as easily go back to kill all the gays and burn all the heretics again though.

>Most progressive = Pope Francis
Are you sure? I don't know too much about Popes, but I think since he is the latest, as long as he wasn't reactionary, he'd always look "progressive" compared to the guys before simply because he is the furthest from the origin.

>snopes.com

t. Doesn't actually understand Jesus' teachings

A parable to shame the religious Jews. So, a parable.

Shaming them into admitting that a Samaritan scumbag who helps the man is a better neighbor than the levite priest who is late for temple.

t. negro

I don't know what your point is, but since it relies on snopes, you're wrong.

Exactly! Gonna keep murdering everyone all sneaky like until we rule the earth, have all the clay, and all the gold!

Stay cucked Christians.

Catholics aren't Christian

Probably Francis just owing to the fact that he's a man of his time.
He's got that whole, I'm too fucking humble and holy schtick, like he's a secular leader or something.
He's the goddamn Pope ffs, the Papacy is first and foremost an office, not really a fucking place to feign humility in.

Also people should stop taking anything he says so seriously unless he's speaking Ex Cathedra.

I guess everyone till him have been more or less conservative, but still then the Church has been falling apart since John XXIII.