Modern & Contemporary art thread?

Malevich's Black Square is perhaps a little memey but I find if I don't pick something that #triggers people it takes a while to start conversation.

Anyway, I think Warhol is underappreciated. There's widespread casual knowledge of his soup cans, but he's done plenty of interesting stuff besides. He was a really good draughtsman and prolific commercial artist. One of his first forays into fine arts I find his sketches of young men very good, it was just a bad time for it with AbEx being in vogue.

His later stuff too, like his death and disaster series I find pretty fascinating.

>money laundering """"art""""

>Malevich's art in 1915 was explicitly created for the purpose of laundering money for the Tsarist elite
ok bud

this

It's fake art, you fucking idiots. The artists have their head up their asses, the buyers and sellers are just laundering money and committing insurance fraud, and you're all dipshit plebs lapping it all up.

I'm sure you know this because you know a lot of artists and patrons and not because you believe whatever cynical horseshit you read on the internet :^)

Why can't you cucks just have the confidence to call your opinion exactly that, why do you feel compelled to bubblewrap your opinion with the impression of objectivity? Can you substantiate that all art from arguably 1870-1970 (modern) and everything since (contemporary) is more vulnerable to being used to launder money than all art previous?

Your appreciation of Warhol is interesting in light of the fact that when it comes time once a week for Veeky Forums to attempt serious discussion of modern art (and this has been true for many years, at least I have multiple personal anecdotes from ten-ish years ago), Warhol is one of the most go-to personalities to receive the hate and scapegoating. The most well-written and thoughtfully sincere hatreds of personal modern artists that I can recall reading on Veeky Forums have been on multiple occasions, condemnations of Warhol.

At least artists of the past put a bit of effort on it.

>Some people in this thread will say OP deserves as much respect as pic related

>thinks that's a good painting

I explained why most shit like this isnt even art in the last art thread and the post modern shills failed horribly to defend their meme

This triggers the teenager

Both the artists I mentioned were highly skilled and deliberately made the choice to advance their craft, not out of a deficit of ability or whatever other meme you will sling.

>i explained it all last time and you got btfo i swear on me mum

I really dig Mondrian

John Olsen bump

Explain this shit to me without sayng '2deep4u' or 'it's bad on purpose'

nice doodle of a froggy

It looks cool

It doesn't necessarily have to mean anything

It's basically rich people buying and selling rare maymays irl.

bedtime bump

don't try to look for art in paintings or statues, try to look for art in video games and movies

[spoiler]ubisoft is today's bernini[/spoiler]

bump

Big fan of David Hockney, i think he has a sort of psychedelic tinged use of colour.

Went to an exhibition of his recent works recently, thought I'd hate his ipad stuff but actually ended up thinking a lot of it was pretty bloody good.

It's fun. It's light hearted. If you had this in your living room it would probably make you smile each time you passed by. If art can create a feeling in you how can you not appreciate it?

"art"

Anyone /Kippenberger/ here?

Liu Xiaodong

this puts a smile on the pseudo-intellectual transexual otherkin

Chantal Joffe

>the art created to subvert the museum-gallery institution and avoid the art market was created specifically to make money off its sale and proliferation in museum-gallery institutions

Seems legit.

It does more for art than the semi-photographic illusionism of the 19th century designed to please the garbage uneducated tastes of the middle-class.

It's a direct engagement with the history of art and contains more of istoria and disegno that paintings of boats in a storm.

That isn't art, that's just beauty and craft used to tell a story. It's the same as film and television with their unobtrusive scores, cinematography and pretty actors. It's the absence of art.

>Thinks art is about "meaning"

Learn what aesthetics means, retard.

Learn what iconography means, retard.

Formenko has a lot of interesting pieces.

>memestetics

That painting is a masterpiece.
Who painted it? I must know.
(I'm exhibiting subjectivity for u)

1/11

Edwin Dickinson

2/11

Edwin Dicinson

3/11

Edwin Dickinson

4/11

Edwin Dickinson

5/11

Edwin Dilinkilinckilson

It's not a good painting really. I'll take Lebbeus Woods and Ralph Steadman instead.

6/11

Eldwind Dykison

7/11

Steve Huston

8/11

Steve Huston

9/11

Steve Huston

10/11

Dean Cornwell

11/11

Dean Cornwell

Did I introduce his works to you in another thread? You're welcome

no you little egoist. I've had that picture on my computer since July of last year.

bump

Good style imo

>iconography

Part of aesthetics retard.