Do Hindus (for lack of a better generic term) like foreigners coming over and learning/converting to their religions...

Do Hindus (for lack of a better generic term) like foreigners coming over and learning/converting to their religions? Or do they view it as the evil white piggu appropriating their culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2011/09/26/world/asia/borneo-tribe-practices-its-own-kind-of-hinduism.html?_r=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hinduism doesn't seek converts and views non-caste as untouchable.

Yeah but as an extremely pale white person do you think they could bump me up a few castes for my aesthetic?

Joking aside, I thought Hinduism was a pretty diverse religious group. I doubt every single last Hindu would view me as an untouchable and exclude me. They might try to scam me for my money (like they do to everyone), but they won't exclude me.

Depends, do you have cash?

Yes senpai, loadsamoney

Any religion will take you because the people collecting the church/temple/mosque revenue and spreading their word of god aren't the same people crying about white people culturally appropriating them.

why is there a swastika on his head?

That's total bullshit.

It does welcome converts . Though I don't know what caste you ll be on conversion I pretty much know for sure you ll not be untouchable. I think for reservation purposes you ll be considered "general category" if you decide to stay in India and become a citizen.

Why would you need a generic term ? Hinduism these days is pretty well defined and you could call us that itself.

Second most of us don't give a shit what you do. Want to be a Hindu ? Good for you. Want to follow our rituals. Again good for you. We don't care. If you have any doubts the priests in temple will help you out. People might stare at you doing those rituals though out of curiosity rather than anything else considering we have set in our mind that only brown people could possibly be Hindus.

Hinduism is like Judaism in that it is also a pedigree or breed,something you are born into, in addition to creed and culture, . You can't just become fans of their sports team, it's not sufficient.

From the hair cut think it's a young brahmin boy who is bring initiated into the ritualistic practices and hence starting with an auspicious symbol. I could be wrong though as it clearly looks North Indian and I'm from the south.

Because its a sacred symbol around the world.

>You can't just become fans of their sports team, it's not sufficient.

You most certainly can. No one is gonna stop you as there is no rigid organization in Hinduism as in abrahamic religions

(Cont...)

That being said we'd appreciate if caucasoids who became Hindus in the West can stop singing and dancing like loony bins on street corners. It just comes across a bit cringey .

He's a neo-nazi.

Yes I am, I am also a Muslim, a Christian, a Buddhist, and a Jew.

>Gandhi's memorial (or Samādhi) at Rāj Ghāt, New Delhi, bears the epigraph "Hē Ram" (Devanagari: हे ! राम or, He Rām), which can be translated as "Oh God". These are widely believed to be Gandhi's last words after he was shot, though the veracity of this statement has been disputed.[146]

>no rigid organization in Hinduism as in abrahamic religions
only applies to judaism, and even then they appreciate converts except the most orthodox zionist groups that believe in jewish masters

but hinduism is extremely rigid, what are you talking about? caste importance is reduced politically, but is still religiously significant and a foreigner cannot become a temple priest or brahmin in all but the most liberal of traditions

From second-hand experience, hindus don't want to rip off converts, but what has been said about family is true; you need a pedigree as culture is much more important than philosophy/religion of thought

>Tradition doesn't matter
>Any one can waltz into India and be a hindu

I don't think they hate them but just from dating stuff they seem to not be interested in anyone who isn't Indian. So if you are white and convert that is cool and all but you know fuck off.

they are considered LARPers at worst

Is this why I never match with Indian girls on Tinder?

If a white guy with money (in comparison to your average Indian) came over and converted, which caste would he be in?

Depends, initially people will probs just think you're a hippy, but if you are serious and sober, about it, people will largely not care I think.

I highly doubt anyone in India cares about cultural appropiation, certainly my cousins have never come across the term.

Yeah it's weird. They revere white people to an extent (e.g. a family friend's wedding had a white woman stand out the front and greet people as they came in, some rich families will hire a white person to act as a server at parties, etc), but yeah marrying one is fraught. Some are totally against it, some are fine (at least they're not black, Asian or Pakistani) and some are fine as long as it gives permanent residency/green card/etc.

They'll see you as glorious west aryan masterrace

>fill out census form
>say you are hindu.
there. done.

Its because white people are considered to be exotic in india.

well you wouldn't have a caste since a caste is a function of your clannish heritage far more than some strict hierarchy people see. JDS Haldane didn't have a caste for example.

As a muslim, you took yourself out of the fold of Islam by saying you're a hindu, Christian and jew too.

Your new age hippie dream might tell you that you can be part of all these religions, but frankly, that just means you don't know shit about any of them. Lrn2Salvaic exclusivity.

La ilaha illa allah, mate.

So he was going to Hell?

Could untouchables convert to Islam, then convert back to Hinduism and not be untouchables anymore?

As a whitey they wouldn't treat you poorly like actual untouchables, but they would dismiss any attempt you make to get into the religion.

So the HARA HAREEE KRISHNAAA~ guys who pester you with flyers when you go shopping downtown dont act like that in india?
I once heard they are an american sect masquerading as an indian one, might explain everything.

it's just americans being american due to their flouride water.

ISKON in india are like your regular temples, only far better funded than your village shrine.

Islam in india had a caste system. Caste is an indian phenomena, not a hindu phenomena.

Eh we got them in europe too.
Jehovas witness and even the fucking mormons spilled over too after all.

>weird
I guess it means having pride or not wanting "the other" in the family on a subconcious level.
People just know that if you mix the kid might question its identity and the bicultural upbringing will also mix the way it perceives things from one cultural/ethnic perspective to two, thus slightly alterating the neatless continuation of your line and tribe.
I can observe a heightenend interest in the culture of their fathers concerning the two singlemother raised half-ones I know.

>function of your clannish heritage
If you had a group of lets say serbs converting and they choose to not ditch the caste aspect, would they be accepted as "serbcaste" by indian hindus if numerous enough?

depends on what exactly you mean.
The same thing happened with the rajputs over centuries of living in the fringe and mixing with steppe invaders.

Interesting, I wouldnt have thought castes work like this. If ethnic or profession=caste and its variable by a groups selfproclamation of difference and identity then the old vedic system which parted people under different criteria and without their saying has already been discarded long ago in some regards.
You guys start to look quiet similar to how the romans saw it with the faith.

to explain, I am a bengali brahmin, but my ancestors were originally from Prayag (now called Allahabad) who were invited to the court of Ballal Sen who created the last hindu empire in bengal. To further legitimize his pious nature and that he was a samrat, he invited distant brahmins to settle in bengal, since Bengal was always on the outskirts of the Aryan core that was north india. My ancestors settled there and basically became known as Kulin Brahmins, and had particular rituals that other brahmins in bengal were not expected to follow.

Over time we became as much a part of bengal as political agitation, laziness and easy living.

Mh, this then more of a taking out a portion of a hindu population and then declaring it a new caste when it developed differently in isolation.
I was more thinking along the line of "castification" of whole non-hindu ethnic groups such as it seems to happen here: nytimes.com/2011/09/26/world/asia/borneo-tribe-practices-its-own-kind-of-hinduism.html?_r=0

Mihirakula was a hepthalite who was a pretty infamous shiva worshipper.
Large parts of Rajasthan, haryana and punjab have had the kushans settle down and mix with the natives and earlier greek colonies.

Sahih International: And We have revealed to you, [O Muúammad], the Book in truth, confirming that which preceded it of the Scripture and as a criterion over it. So judge between them by what Allah has revealed and do not follow their inclinations away from what has come to you of the truth. To each of you We prescribed a law and a method. Had Allah willed, He would have made you one nation [united in religion], but [He intended] to test you in what He has given you; so race to [all that is] good. To Allah is your return all together, and He will [then] inform you concerning that over which you used to differ.

Huh? How did you come to mention Mihiri "sending Zen in the den" Kula now?

quick example of a non indian hindu ruler.

>tfw islam ruined everything
>no weird esoteric mix of hinudism buddhism and zoroastrianism in afghanistan.

>takshashila will forever be a run down hovel instead of the shining beacon of learning, trade and culture that it was.

>no weird esoteric mix of hinudism buddhism and zoroastrianism in afghanistan.

Also some weird pagan stuff about a Sungod called Zuul and the indoeuropean offshoot that lived in Kafiristan up until they got jihaded 200 years ago.
Could have been such an interesting region, the same for the blending of religions in Zentralasia before it got religiously sterilised.
Manicheans were weird fucks combining anything the region bordered with, so basically anything.

>but hinduism is extremely rigid, what are you talking about? caste importance is reduced politically, but is still religiously significant and a foreigner cannot become a temple priest or brahmin in all but the most liberal of traditions

You are conflating two different things. Caste and religion. Caste is cultural. Every religion in India be it Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Sikhism or Buddhism has castes in it. I was not talking about it. I was talking about lack of organization which decides who is Hindu, what one should do to be considered Hindu etc. There is no such authority or rules. If you think you are Hindu, you are one. That's it.

That's unironically true.

Two things - untouchability is a crime and law will fuck u up if you are caught practicing it.

Second those castes that used to untouchable enjoy such wide reservation benefits tat no one will willingly move out of it. The benefits AAs enjoy in USA due to affirmativve action pales in comparison to the reservation benefits the former untouchable castes enjoy.

I cringe Everytime at the hare Krishna guys in US. Stop giving us Hindus a bad name you autists.

>If you had a group of lets say serbs converting and they choose to not ditch the caste aspect, would they be accepted as "serbcaste" by indian hindus if numerous enough?
Good question. Immediately might not. But after some time with some history why not. That's how most castes/clans came into being.

>>takshashila will forever be a run down hovel instead of the shining beacon of learning, trade and culture that it was.

Takshashila..? The even bigger loss was Nalanda which was the biggest university in the world at that time. Fucking sand nugfers destroyed it.

Caste is ethno-religious its religious significance persists. Hinduism without caste is biology with no evolution.

Stop blaming everything to Islam.
Mughals brought a lot of things with them, but you only cry about 'muh temples' that were destroyed by Temples.

How about the things destroyed by Peshwas.
They denied education
Created hate system.
Slaughtered their own hindu people.

People celebrated when British destroyed Peshwas

>t. Paki

Yes, before the Muslims India was a wonderful land of peace and bread and roses and nobody did anything bad to each other.

After the Muslims came, all the Muslims as one giant homogenic bloc spent literally the rest of their lives destroying hinduism and hindus as much as possible.

Jains are far better desu