Ancient/Ptolemaic Egypt = multicultural shithole?

Been watching Rome by HBO and I wonder whether their depiction of Egypt was based in reality.

Had Egypt(lower) really such a big non-Egyptian population? Every scene where you see many Egyptian civilians, it seems black people are the most numerous. Were Nubians so plentyful in Lower Egypt?

Also about 90% of all the soldiers and guards seems to be Nubians, did they value Nubian soldiers to such an extent? I know Egyptians used Nubians in their armies but to such and extent showed in the tv-series?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nubia#Nubia_and_Ancient_Egypt
amazon.com/Last-Pharaohs-Egypt-Ptolemies-305-30/dp/0691156387
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>However, relations between the two peoples also show peaceful cultural interchange and cooperation, including mixed marriages. The Medjay represents the name ancient Egypt gave to a region in northern Sudan where an ancient people of Nubia inhabited. They became part of the Egyptian military as scouts and minor workers.

>During the Middle Kingdom of Egypt, "Medjay" no longer referred to the district of Medja but to a tribe or clan of people. It is not known what happened to the district, but, after the First Intermediate Period of Egypt, it and other districts in Nubia were no longer mentioned in the written record. Written accounts detail the Medjay as nomadic desert people. Over time, they were incorporated into the Egyptian army. In the army, the Medjay served as garrison troops in Egyptian fortifications in Nubia and patrolled the deserts as a kind of gendarmerie. This was done in the hope of preventing their fellow Medjay tribespeople from further attacking Egyptian assets in the region. Later, they were even used during Kamose’s campaign against the Hyksos and became instrumental in making the Egyptian state into a military power.

>By the Eighteenth Dynasty of the New Kingdom period, the Medjay were an elite paramilitary police force. No longer did the term refer to an ethnic group and, over time, the new meaning became synonymous with the policing occupation in general. Being an elite police force, the Medjay were often used to protect valuable areas, especially royal and religious complexes. Though they are most notable for their protection of the royal palaces and tombs in Thebes and the surrounding areas, the Medjay were known to have been used throughout Upper and Lower Egypt.

>multicultural shithole

Try the most important province in the Roman Empire.

Look at all the fayum portraits, hundreds of examples where like 80% of them look fully african or at least mixed and is still the source of many a we wuz

>By the Eighteenth Dynasty of the New Kingdom period, the Medjay were an elite paramilitary police force. No longer did the term refer to an ethnic group and, over time, the new meaning became synonymous with the policing occupation in general. Being an elite police force, the Medjay were often used to protect valuable areas, especially royal and religious complexes. Though they are most notable for their protection of the royal palaces and tombs in Thebes and the surrounding areas, the Medjay were known to have been used throughout Upper and Lower Egypt.

Oh alright so the guards being black makes sense atleast.

But the majority of civilians on the Mediterranean coast being black makes less sense.

Thanks though, nice to see that the guards being black wasn't just some liberal PC shit
>Look at all the fayum portraits, hundreds of examples where like 80% of them look fully african or at least mixed

Not true at all

I'm not But SOME pharaohs were of mixed Nubian descent

>Various pharaohs of Nubian origin are held by some Egyptologists to have played an important part towards the area in different eras of Egyptian history, particularly the 12th Dynasty. These rulers handled matters in typical Egyptian fashion, reflecting the close cultural influences between the two regions.

>[T]he XIIth Dynasty originated from the Aswan region. As expected, strong Nubian features and dark coloring are seen in their sculpture and relief work. This dynasty ranks as among the greatest, whose fame far outlived its actual tenure on the throne. Especially interesting, it was a member of this dynasty that decreed that no Nehsy (riverine Nubian of the principality of Kush), except such as came for trade or diplomatic reasons, should pass by the Egyptian fortress and cops at the southern end of the Second Nile Cataract. Why would this royal family of Nubian ancestry ban other Nubians from coming into Egyptian territory. Because the Egyptian rulers of Nubian ancestry had become Egyptians culturally; as pharaohs, they exhibited typical Egyptian attitudes and adopted typical Egyptian policies.

>It is an extremely difficult task to attempt to describe the Nubians during the course of Egypt's New Kingdom, because their presence appears to have virtually evaporated from the archaeological record. The result has been described as a wholesale Nubian assimilation into Egyptian society. This assimilation was so complete that it masked all Nubian ethnic identities insofar as archaeological remains are concerned beneath the impenetrable veneer of Egypt's material culture.

They however were culturally completely Egyptian. But they were still a minority compared to the Egyptians.

Having not been here in a long while, I can recall a time when it was laughable to rely in "wikipedia" as a viable source for anything. Never-mind and issue such as this where they are terrified of the "we wuz..." crowd. You realize there is no..sort of final arbiter of truth on the site, just whoever manages to right the system and put enough pressure on the very pliable "editors." You'll notice, they have very, very few controversies re: their entries. I'd argue that is because they give the "noisiest" people what they want. I'll let you decide who the "noisiest" people are in this context.....

"For a 1991 column in U.S. News & World Report, I phoned seven Egyptologists and asked whether the ancient Egyptian population had been “black.” Of course not, they all responded, but not for attribution, since, as one said, “this subject is just too hot.”

[The Hazards of Telling the Truth, by John Leo, Wall Street Journal, April 15, 2008]

Its pretty decent more or less

All of the sources are cited in those paragraphs.

Its really not controversial to say that two neighboring empires mixed in with one another

half of those are as black as fucking Obama
Come on now if you saw that guy in the top mid and he told you he was white you'd be sent reeling back to /pol/ to screech autistically

No, there is not a single black person there. I have no idea what you're talking about

They look like a light Cushitic mix with heavy Semitic admixture.

They don't look like Obama tbqf

>multicultural shithole

just go ask on your /pol/ hugbox if you're looking for an answer you want to hear.

Imagine living in a hellhole like Brooklyn. Brrrr

You made a retarded claim, if you think they look black, then you've never seen a black person.

They look North African/Arab

They're brown you mongoloid burger, but I guess having more categories than black/white/taco is too much for you to comprehend.

>Mommy the black man trigger me!

Even tacos get generalized as all being tacos.

T. Non mexican latino

I remember reading somewhere that the Nubians did take over Egypt for a short period of time until the Assyrians ousted them. If I remember correctly the Assyrians even made reliefs basically depicting the former Nubian rulers as straight up monkeys.

Having trouble finding any pics of the last part of that story though.
lel weird how so few people have managed to make Egypt such a touchy subject.

I mean as far as I know the only people who says the Egyptians were black are African-Americans.

Not that I really blame them, in the US African is synonymous with Black so the average person with no further knowledge than that when they hear Egypt is in Africa, is basically means Egyptians are Black, since Africans are nothing but Blacks.

This. Americans are so fucking autistic when it comes to race.

>non-white = black
You're an Ameriblubber aren't you

>rare thread about ptolemaic egypt
>op and everyone else only cares about how many niggers lived then

It's interesting to people who care about History whether or not popular shows forsake historical accuracy for politically correct statements.

Atleast to me it is.

>i only care about history as long as it helps me analyze pop culture

surely you are a pleb

>my focus and interest is nothing but a pinpoint which makes everything else around it feel irrelevant to me

That is a clear sign of autism

I just watched the series myself, I didn't find it too weird or an overabundance of blacks. Consider Alexandria was a major city and had connections with far reaching places, you'd see Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Nubians, and probably Persians, Jews and Libyans too.

And considering Nubians were just south to them and given their shared history it isn't weird to see them present in the court. Also this

Recommend a book on Ptolemaic Egypt

>Been watching Rome by HBO and I wonder whether their depiction of Egypt was based

The way you guys think about such serious and important topics is pure dogshit.

They all look like modern Egyptians.

>Been watching Rome by HBO and I wonder whether their depiction of Egypt was based

"in reality" was the takeaway from that sentence I believe

>I remember reading somewhere that the Nubians did take over Egypt for a short period of time until the Assyrians ousted them. If I remember correctly the Assyrians even made reliefs basically depicting the former Nubian rulers as straight up monkey

Yes the 25th dynasty but there were Pharaohs mixed nubian heritage before that as early as the 12th dynasty

There were also Nubian rulers who had some Egyptian in them

amazon.com/Last-Pharaohs-Egypt-Ptolemies-305-30/dp/0691156387

Alexanderia had decent greek population. Other than that whole egypt was full of egyptians. Numbians were part of population too. Also go back to /pol/ pls.

Thanks