Is it worth to get a degree nowadays ?

Will it help me in the future? Is there a correlation between having a degree and money?

a degree in what?

no, it just look good on your CV, you can learn everything from books

no, but it may depend where you live:

>you can learn everything from books
which school for brainlets did you go to??

economics, finance, general business

I'd say it depends on what you want to do. I fell for the college meme hard, believing that a degree, any degree, was a ticket to success. I got a degree in Economics which is totally worthless. I work in IT now, where certifications and experience are vastly more important than college meme degrees.

Unless your chosen field absolutely requires a college credential, I say it's not worth it and you're better off self-studying & getting OTJ experience.

It depends on where you are starting out and what skills you already have. If you don't have any skills, then an education that is a skilled trade is valuable. By trade I mean things you can do in exchange for money. Nursing, accounting, programming, etc.

Its OK for those majors. At least you're not going full retard into the psych/sociology/lgbt studies crap. Better to go for Med/Engineering/Technical degrees. Or get good at a trade and make a shit ton of money from lazy fucks who can't unclog a toilet or hammer a nail.

I find it hard to believe that an IT company would hire a person with an Economics degree. How did that happen?

What do you actually want to do?

Also what grades do you have/are expecting? I presume you're in the UK, so if you're looking for finance you either need to: Go to a top 20 university (absolute minimum) - For ibanking needs to be top 10.
Most will be hired from top 5, with only the absolute best of the crop coming from 5-10.

If step one isn't an option, you will need to do a masters to get a foot in the door to any reputable companies.

It depends on the bachelor's.
I spent 1.5 years pursuing a bachelor's in international relations, decided it was useless. I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad which turned me onto investing. Switched to a bachelor's in finance at my community college.
Recently however, I've realized that investing/investing education is becoming more and more accessible outside of the university. Not to mention it's mostly becoming automated.

I am going for my bachelor's in Cybersecurity now. The program I am in grants me industry certifications throughout the course of my education that combined, will be worth more than the bachelor's.

Go into tech. Everything else is becoming either automated or virtualized. The most valuable business education is experience. Learn AI, Cybersecurity, or Data. Then you can be entrepreneur and make big money.

why wouldn't they? College means fuck all in the IT field. I'm Microsoft certified which matters far more than any meme degree

>economics, finance, general business
Those aren't valuable unless they involve actual skills in analysis. Like statistics, regression analysis, and programming. If you want to learn about general business then starting an actual business would be a better use of your time unless daddy can hook you up with a job.

Listen.

You go to school for real degrees
-Engineering (get an internship your second or third year and you will get any job out of school 70k+)
-Medicine

Do not become a fucking biology major that think his stem degree = engineering degree.

If you feel you are too dumb to do the above start looking for trade to learn. Plumping, electrician, heavy equipment these are all good paying jobs with demand that universities just skip over.

Or

If you feel you can make it, start a small business and see how that goes. You will learn more through this experience than school will ever teach you regarding finance.

just enrolled civil engineering last autumn
literally nothing about it is appealing, the only thing that interests me is business and money making (not in a sense easy money and slacking) but i dont have the heart to tell anyone because everybody in my family is hardcore on engineering, even my mum whos an accountant
i know i shouldnt live their wishes and decisions but im too scared of what could happen if i did express myself as i am still too dependant on them and im trying now to reduce this as much as i can but im still not experienced and patient enough...
i just had to get this out sorry if its off topic

Stem - god tier
Business - medium tier
Rest - shit tier

So choose wisely user.

t. biotech master 60k p.a. fresh from university trading shitcoins in spare time

Math and econ double major?

I don't know OP but I just recently dropped out of university after doing a year for my bachelor's degree in engineering. I fucking hate STEM and judging by what I've heard it's the only worthwhile field to study that would yield any tangible results. Now I'm just gonna go get a job and hopefully start a business.

You fucking retard you're setting yourself up for disaster get out now before you start owing money

t. someone who was in your exact position and copped 15k debt before I realized I was making a mistake

i live in a country where if youre better than the majority during the enrollment process you get free tuition so i have no such issues other than wasting my time

>all the stress
>sociology degree

btw how old were you when you dropped out?

I've been invited for an interview for the NYU MBA. Will this degree help me get a finance job in the US?

No. Unless you have powerful connections in the finance field.

my thoughts exactly

Second year engineering student from top 10 uk uni here. After these two years, from being passionate about it I started to fucking hate my subject. It's worth it as long as you're really interested.

Knowledge is easy to get without it, there's plenty of learning pointless shit involved which you'll forget soon after the exam, and in real life you'd just write a program to do it for you. But some unis offer some hands-on experience - projects, doing stuff in workshop. And, most importantly, in a good uni the staff will teach you shit that's not in the books.

But you'll only benefit if you really want to do it, so if you have any doubts then just give yourself time. Maybe try an apprenticeship? I regret I didn't go for it desu.

Electrical Engineering, working on 3d printer prototyping.

I had some a very powerful connection to an investor when i was 18, was driving him around in houses around the world and he treated me like the son he never had but kinda fucked it up since i was smoking weed the whole day and that dude doesn't really care about me any more. What about Columbia MBA?

Also, another main use for uni is to find people with common interests and do shit. You'll probably benefit more from knowing people you'll get to know than from most of the lectures. 2:1 looks nice on cv though.

Yes, major in almost anything that is classified as a Bachelor of Science and it'll be worth the price if completed at any age under like twenty-five. It'll pay off big-league if you could find a track in the sciences that you actually like, and then find a way to use your hobby as leverage to state that you know your shit in that particular area.

(ie. A mechanical engineer who has a very active git repository in regards to robotics. Something like this could potentially land you an easy six-figure job out of college at a company where 90% of their applicants instead carry a CS degree with little to no work to show for except for an internship).

It's all about creating leverage.

You can get a job as a programmer almost anywhere in America currently and make, at the very bare minimum, 60k starting. All by just having completed your schooling and internship. Don't have the money to attend college? Yeah, well if you can fucking code & can show it, then you can still get the job. People are earning high-paying jobs coming out of high school because their parents were wise and made the participate in hackathons starting their freshman year of HS.

>but m-m-muh math. Im terrible at math.
A good bit of my friends work in the CS field, and they've told me that 90% of their day is filled with managing old code and copypasta'ing bug fixes from stackexchange. Basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division was the most math that they had to use.

It's all about what you fucking know. College is for the many of us who don't have the self-discipline required to have a good understanding of this knowledge on our own.

Hey. Engineering student here. That's the second time I heard internships boost starting salaries. Got an internship
lined up this summer and was wondering if I should try for another one next summer or if I should just go with classes and graduate by december '18. Aka does more internships = more starting pay?

>b-b-ut muh math
The actual job of programming may or may not require alot of math, it depends on the company you work for desu. If you're working for grubhub I can't see you using more than simple algebra but if you're coding an efficient fuel management program for NASA's V10 rocket, you'll probably need to know some advanced math.

Regardless, it's not so much about the math in practice as it is the math you're forced to learn in a CS degree. I'm on my third year and I had to do 3 Calculus classes, Differential equations, a linear algebra class, and a few mathematical theory classes (that were more like logic stuff than math). It's so much math that my damn school doesnt even let you minor in math if you're getting a CS degree.

As long as you have a year or so experience and maybe a letter of recommendation you should do well.

>pompey dyke

EWWW

u living in Portsmouth mate?

Nah. Rarely go there, only up portsdown hill in the summer for a burger.

How valuable is learning a strategic foreign language like Chinese?

I'm starting to think about this a lot too. There's a good chance I won't pass this year due to me bringing my expired ID to an exam, which meant I couldn't make it and without those credits I will not have enough. It's a bit of a coping mechanism, because I have no clue what I'll do with my life if I do indeed get kicked out. However, being at this university made me realise it's all a massive waste of time.

>undergrad in philosophy
>law degree
>make stacks
That's the plan faggots

I'm an old man lookin to go back to school at my local community college and get an associates and maybe transfer.

I was thinking between web dev, paralegal and accounting.

Are these any good or should I focus on something else?

If you're self disciplined enough you can learn web-dev online, do some jobs on upwork, then show employers your portfolio.

How so?? lazy fucks wont pay shit tons to one guy. only companies.

Medicine degree here.

You do make money but you do have to work hard for it. The degree isn't that hard, lots of vocational stuff (since you're being trained to do a job essentially).

I'm moving into GP to get some tasty locum cash. Minimum £80 per hour.