How do you beat this /his? How the hell do you kill an elephant with like 500 lbs of steel armor?

How do you beat this /his? How the hell do you kill an elephant with like 500 lbs of steel armor?

I know cannons would work and guns might, but what else?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Zama
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hodów
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lots of pikes into the vulnerable areas.

A mouse.

You make a ditch.

legolas

>outright retarded question
>weight in lbs
Very American of you, OP.

>Timur tied flaming straw to the back of his camels before the charge. The smoke made the camels run forward, scaring the elephants, who crushed their own troops in their efforts to retreat. Another account of the campaign reports that Timur used oversized caltrops to halt the elephants' charge

Many many slingers

Horse archers>everything.

ei vittu

pigs

Did they not beat them by just having large holes in their infantry lines and since the elephants are retarded animals they naturally just chose the path of least resistance(the empty way through the infantry) and ran through the entire enemy lines of the enemies?

Where was this?

Zama.

This elephant seems to be from Asia. Most likely Mughal India.

>This elephant seems to be from Asia.
kek, Carthage got its Elephants from the east. You can't use African Elephants for warfare. Also, Elephants used to exist in the Levant.

>Zama

Yeah that is right, thanks

literally you just tell your infantry ahead of time to move out of the way and make aisles for the elephants to run down, and they will run down them.

An undead army of spirits.

Up until you need to hold something.

I love that scene, it is Alexander and his companions, it is Sobieski and his Hussars. Such a great scene.

I was more talking about the armor of the elephant and the clothing that the people on top of him are wearing.

I thought you were Vlad the Implier

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Zama

>At the outset of the battle, Hannibal unleashed his elephants and skirmishers against the Roman troops in order to break the cohesion of their lines and exploit the breaches that could be opened. The attack was confronted by the Roman skirmishers. In addition, Scipio ordered the cavalry to blow loud horns to frighten the beasts, which partly succeeded, and several rampaging elephants turned towards the Carthaginian left wing and disordered it completely. Seizing this opportunity, Masinissa led his Numidian cavalry and charged at the Carthaginian left wing, which was also composed of Numidian cavalry, and was unknowingly lured off the field. Meanwhile, the rest of the elephants were carefully lured through the lanes and taken to the rear of the Roman army, where they were dealt with. Scipio's plan to neutralize the threat of the elephants had worked.

I fucking hate Elephants in MTW 2, I bring in 6 cannon groups, and still the bastards don't die.

Cut the tendons in the back of a leg. It wouldn't hobble far on three legs.

Have your archers shoot the driver.

Once there isn't anyone pulling on the reins to tell it where to go, the elephant will do its best to leave the battlefield.

>elephants are retarded animals they naturally just chose the path of least resistance(

sounds pretty smart, to be honest

why not?
size?

>Luke, did I ever tell you about the Anal Cannon? The Anal Cannon is loaded when a funnel is placed into an asshole, and the 2nd whore pukes into it. After the ass is filled with puke, a cock then fucks it until the pressure is all built up. After the Asshole has been fucked hard enough, the cock is pulled out and the Anal cannon explodes! To top it all off, ass to mouth occurs, with both ladies licking off the fresh mix of vomit and ass for the ultimate anal dessert! They were good friends.

In practical terms elephants don't really make effective force multipliers. At least not in the way that Westerners tried to make it work, grouping elephants into squadrons and charging them en masse into the enemy line.

The problem is that far from being simple-minded beasts elephants are actually highly intelligent, emotional animals. Hauling one into a pitched melee is the equivalent of locking a person in a room with a bunch of rapid dogs tearing each other to pieces. Even the big alpha males are inclined to panic and when that happens they'll run as fast away from the fighting as possible, which usually means back through your own lines.

There were several ways of making them panic. For one thing, they don't like being pelted with missiles so one way of stopping them is screening your heavy infantry with skirmishers who with javelins, slings, darts, etc fling them at the elephants by the shitload. They don't like that.

Another way of doing it is by spooking them. Elephants are totally creeped out by pigs, there's one story of a legionary using a pig against an elephant in a siege, shoving it out the window and sticking it in the elephants face, making the elephant panic and screw. There was another instance where the Romans cranked this idea up to 11 by herding out a bunch of pigs on the battlefield which had been coated in pitch, lining them up facing the oncoming crush of elephants, and then lighting the pigs on fire and setting them free. The result was yet another case of elephants completely losing their shit on the battlefield and trampling back through their own army

The third way of doing it is really why elephants fell out of favor on western battlefields: you just open your lines up so that there are travel lanes where soldiers could funnel and surround the elephants and stab up into their guts from all around and behind them. And once the first few started falling, you can bet that their death screams were rattling the other elephants.

>having large holes in their lines

mission success, then.

>the Romans cranked this idea up to 11 by herding out a bunch of pigs on the battlefield which had been coated in pitch, lining them up facing the oncoming crush of elephants, and then lighting the pigs on fire and setting them free.

This is such a Roman thing to do

Scipio just made lanes in troops and the elephants would avoid spears into the lanes. Once surrounded long pikes or killing the riders and scaring it off does the job.

Except that hole is now plugged by a panicking elephant.

it made me chuckle

Elephants,horses,camels.
This will stop any of them.
Defending armies would spread these around to stop advancing cavalry.

fire

You convert them with the power of God.

wololo
wololo
wololo

Thinking about elephants in combat makes me sad.

Now imagine all the horses throughout history.

:(

Get ready for ocular discharge.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

Except for foot archers, crossbowmen, or heavy cavalry on better horses, sure.

Temperament.

Except the use of the north african elephant in war is well documented, and is part of the reason they're extinct.

Except no. There's literally nothing stopping the lines from simply reforming behind them.

>retard doesn't know the difference between forest and bush elephants
>still comments
One was used in war and was driven extinct by war, hunting, and use in gladiatorial games.

The other is in ill tempered cunt of an animal that occasionally raids niggers farms for food, when it isn't being slaughtered by said niggers.
Stop. Please.

Correction, North African elephant. Dead as the dodos. Literally.

The third way of doing it is really why elephants fell out of favor on western battlefields: you just open your lines up so that there are travel lanes where soldiers could funnel and surround the elephants and stab up into their guts from all around and behind them. And once the first few started falling, you can bet that their death screams were rattling the other elephants.
The Chinese used similar methods against heavy cavalry, where lines have narrow travel lanes to funnel horses into them as they try to avoid the spears and pikes while troops beside the lanes would attack the legs and guts of the horse and fell the riders.

Against elephants, there was a Chinese commander who made lion props to scare them.

>and since the elephants are retarded animals they naturally just chose the path of least resistance

As opposed to the intelligent animals who run head on into hostile people with sharp objects for zero personal gain.

Woof
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

>foot archers, crossbowmen, or heavy cavalry on better horses

Not even one of them is better then horse archers outside of european terrain.

Horse archers are really nothing amazing.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hodów

elephants are quite intelligent

Actually whenever I play Medieval II: Total War™ horse archers tend to be one of the most powerful and useful units.

desu if I saw a horde of burning pigs run towards me I'd also lose my shit.

5 mice will do the trick, elephants are terrified of mice
Or just horse archer 360 no scope into their eyes

In game units will be the way they are programmed to be. And as I remember, in that game horse archers were absolutely destroyed by crossbowmen.

CAltrops/Ditches

Both are /thread

Sure. You're wrong, but sure.

Carthage got it's Elephants from North Africa.