Is he the most underrated president?

Is he the most underrated president?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'état
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_U-2_incident
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like Ike!

He did a good job but he also had the easiest run out of all modern presidents

Probably 6th or 7th underrated president after people like Arthur, Coolidge or Hayes.
Or Tyler.
Or Van Buren.
Or Harding.
Or Cleveland.

And Garfield kind of but you know..

>you know

No i dont, please elaborate

He died very early into his presidency but showed a lot of promise and was an unexpectedly honest president.
Thankfully Arthur continued his legacy.

>unexpectedly honest president
Come on, he may have been a good President - but don't pretend he was honest.

After all he was the one who ordered Operation Ajax which overthrew a democratically elected Government.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'état

Not to mention the covert U2 incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_U-2_incident

It's strange to think that Nixon was nearly forced from the ticket since he received $18,000 in undeclared gifts from rich donors.

That's nothing compared to the level of corruption in our politics today.

Is strange to thing that Clinton was almost impeached for (lying) about having a (personal) extra-marital affair, but they haven't had the guts to even touch, Bush Jr or Obama and they won't have the guts to reign in Trump

He had the objectively best farewell address among all presidents

James K. "Mexican? More like Mexican't!" Polk
>acquired tons of land and brought US across the continent
>"acquired" California, New Mexico and Texas
>settle boundary issues with Brit in Oregon territory

>democratically elected
Why is this such a sacred cow again? Not talking about Iran in particular, just generally.

He was president when I was born.
Old fag here

What about the others, i honestly dont know much of anything about US Presidents outside the 20th century

Because you're trampling on the will of the people if you mess with their democracy

>will of the people
Literally a bunch of hospital janitors voting on the chief surgeon.

Not that I'm advocating the US fucking with other countries, mind you. But democracy is horseshit.

Churchill's quote comes to mind "democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried"

1.Washington
-Good as the first president. Didn't become a tyrant or anything.

2.Adams
-Great statesman but a mediocre president. Kept US out of war but unfortunately allowed to undermine civil liberties.

3.Jefferson
-Ditto and a bit of a hypocrite. Not many people know about his economic failures as the president.

4.Madison
-Got USA involved in an absolutely unnecessary war. His wife was seriously better.

5.Monroe
-First steps into a bigger government and Monroe Doctrine which allowed US to treat other countries in the region as their sphere of influence. Make of that what you will.

6.Quincy Adams
-Wanted the executive to be like the legislative. Had lots of ambitious and costly plans but didn't do shit.

7.Jackson
-Aggression against both Indians and the South. Opposed the recharter of the Second Bank, which was fine.

8.Van Buren
-Practiced restraint as the president. Basically all the positives of the Jackson era without any of that moral baggage that people love to remind everyone.

9.H. Harrison
-Died in 30 days. This probably makes him a good president for removing a really dumb president.

10.Tyler
-Completely betrayed his own party. Doesn't change the fact that he was behind probably the most successful economic policy ever which is why nobody knows him.

11.Polk
-Made shit done and then immediately died. It's up to you to decide if you approve of his actions, conquering foreign land and stuff.

12.Taylor
-Complete political newcomer. Died in his second year but wasn't bad.

13.Fillmore
-Signed the compromise of 1850 which prevented a civil war. And made way for a much bigger one in the future.

14.Pierce
-Complete spineless alcoholic. Signed a disastrous Kansas-Nebraska Act.

15.Buchanan
-Gets a bit misblamed. Not as bad as some others he was nonetheless really impotent.

16.Lincoln
-Saint or tyrant. In other words a flawed but great figure and people still argue if actually wanting to preserve the union at all cost was the best answer.

17.A.Johnson
-Wanted to go soft on the South but his personal flaws prevented him from being successful. Everything backfired on him.

18.Grant
-Good ideas terrible character with the most corrup cabinet. He was clean but personally unfit for this role.

19.Hayes
-Basically unknown. Because of presidents like him America is what it is/was.

20.Garfield
-Great vision cut short by an assassin's bullet. Second shortest term.

21.Arthur
-Basically a New York crony who suddenly became good when he assumed the office. Also reformed the Navy.

22/24.Cleveland
-Two non-consecutive terms. Very sound economic policy.

23.B. Harrison
-Complete opposite. Held some backward views about the economy.

25.McKinley
-Similar to Harrison. He was also the first imperial president before being killed by an assassin.

26.T. Roosevelt
-Charismatic and colorful character. Unfortunately introduced America to the proggressive era.

27.Taft
-Continued Roosevelt's policy. A better judge than president.

28.Wilson
-Ruined everything from economics to peace to personal liberty. Don't ask for an unbiased description.

29.Harding
-Hated by everyone because of a scandal of one of his man. In reality his economic policy was exactly what America needed.

30.Coolidge
-Harding without scandals. A source of amusing anecdotes and the most popular of the underrated presidents.

31.Hoover
-From the party of Harding and Coolidge but with different beliefs on the economy. Made the depression "big" but not because of the reasons many people think.

32.F. Roosevelt
-Hoover on steroids. Naive about communism too.

33.Truman
-All in all not what the world needed at the moment. Thankfully he didn't decide to go all out on his enemies.

34.Eisenhower
-More responsible than other presidents during the Cold War. It's not saying much but it's something.

35.Kennedy
-His lack of experience showed all too well. Way too many failures and close calls.

54-40 or fight.

36.L. Johnson
-Spent billions so that poverty rate could rise. Great job in Vietnam too bro.

37.Nixon
-Better relationship with China may be his one achievement. Personal flaws once again interfered with the presidency.

38.Ford
-Everyone only cares about his first day anyway. He was there so that people would forget Nixon before he left.

39.Carter
-Difficult to evaluate but I guess he really was out of his depth. Now he annoys everyone.

40.Reagan
-Didn't really practice what he preached and involved in many scandals. Way too uneven.

41.Bush Sr.
-More foreign interventions. But everyone is kind of used to them so nobody cares.

42.Clinton
-Many cases of civil rights violations that nobody talks about. But I guess it's still kind of early.

43.Bush Jr.
-Won't be remembered as one of the greats any time soon. He was the key to all of this.

44.Obama
-Very much like Bush not that he would like to admit that. It's getting worse and worse.

It's really all I cared to write and it's a world record in oversimplification that would need like a dozen asterisks each.

Nice posts. Agree especially on Wilson.

Best thing Ike ever did was destroy this man

Surpisingly Ike also chose Warren

No, based Wilson is. I'll give Polk an honorary mention though

Wilson did literally nothing wrong, your "personal liberties" were trampled on by Congress and the Supreme Court, not Based Wilson and his foreign policy was fucking revolutionary. Cemented the US as a world power, only dirty beaners or Huns would think he did anything wrong there.

No, Haig is

This is the best answer in terms of underrated.

James Garfield was elected in 1831, wtf are you talking about?

this guy was just cool and wasn't afraid of anyone! I really like Coolidge too

>Completely betrayed his own party
that is what made him so awesome.

>oh hey guys watch out for that military industrial thingy that I help build up ib spades. Yeah that was bad k bye

bump

And why is that? McCarthy was vindicated by Venona.

True. The Whigs had completely unrealistic program which would bankrupt America. Preventing a crisis is more important than living in "interesting times" especially if you're the one to blame for it.

>nice economy and peace negotiations you have there
>it would be a shame is somebody
>just came and ruin it

don't forget the most important part:
>he did it all in one term and kept his promise not to run again