PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

DO NOT KEEP IDLE COINS IN EXCHANGES.
REMEMBER MTGOX
REMEMBER CRYPTSY
REMEMBER THE NUMEROUS EXIT SCAMS THAT HAVE OCCURRED
LEARN TO SAFELY HOLD YOUR OWN COINS YOU FUCKING RETARDS

Other urls found in this thread:

support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1662379-how-is-coinbase-insured-
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thanks user I need to get my head out of my ass and do this. Have been delaying

B-b-b-buh it's so inconvenient user.

What's the best method? Encrypted flash drive and paper wallet?

I did this after my exchange spooked me with a random 404, thank you for reminding everyone friendly bull

I own .14btc IDGAF

coinbase is insured tho

THIS THIS THIS

anyone have good cold storage links for noobs?

I use Exodus. Is that okay?

bbbbut doesn't coinbase have like 99% of their clients cryptos in cold storage?

Just downloaded jaxx for ether. Any other wallets that don't download the blockchain? I have 600kbps down dsl and it's fucking +10 gigs.

Wise advice.
Now to get off my lazy ass and actually follow it.

For USD, not crypto.

Wrong, they are FDIC insured for both

Just look up "paper wallet"

Pretty much a wallet is just a keypair. To make a cold store paper wallet, you generate a keypair using an offline piece of software and keep serpate from your online wallets.

FDIC is only for 100k tho, right?

WORRY.JPG

I trust kraken more than my own self

Good thread and should be posted everyday for newcoiners, especially after the NSA and CIA "lost" all of their hacking tools. Never know who is coming after your coins now, new friends.

FDIC insurance only kicks in if Coinbase is insolvent.
Separately, they insure every coin stored in *online* storage. This insurance is backed by Lloyds of London. But only 2% od customer funds are store in online storage. The rest is stored offline. Which means if someone steals your shit from offline storage you're fucked

support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1662379-how-is-coinbase-insured-

Just pulled out my last assets and backup my wallets an hour ago.

Its far too expensive to do it every day.

Is there a wallet that can hold all my coins?

how the fuck do i hold coins that have no wallets apart from the exchange?

is myetherwallet safe?

If its on an exchange, it has a wallet.
Depending on your coin, you might want to set up mining software on your (Linux) computer to better hodl your wealth.

Newcoiner here, let me see if I understand this correctly.

The coins aren't some discrete 'thing' that's actually stored somewhere, right? There is only the blockchain which is an enormous list of every crypto transaction, which tracks the balances of every wallet. The public & private keys are sort of like maps to a given wallet in the blockchain.

So if I left my coins in an online wallet, they're at risk because someone could learn my private key if the website were compromised. If I move my coins to an offline wallet and then just write the public & private keys down on paper, I'd be able to recover my coins even if my computer blew up..

Is that about right?

No. Mine is

You got it, user.