How did people of the past understand dreaming?

Dreaming is a fascinating thing ruined by Positivist plebs and new atheists.

Tell me, Veeky Forums, how did the cultures of the past view dreaming? Did they think we travel to other worlds in dreams? Did they think it was heaven/hell?

What are some fascinating esoteric interpretations?

holy shit, science itself isn't logical positivism you retard.

science isn't, but modern "science" is

I didn't say logical positivism.

I said positivism, brainlet!

bump

>Dreaming is a fascinating thing ruined by Positivist plebs and new atheists.

aka "sensible people keep shooting down my teenage mysticism"

Le dreaming is just a bunch of atoms connecting bro, it's just your brain like a computer (conveniently so hah) sorting previous memories bro haha its just neural networks senpai

There's no 'just' in emergentism. Wew Lad, Honestly

Hebrews - dreams can be prophetic.
Platonists - your soul can leave the body during sleep.
Those are all I know.

You sound like a salty 12 year old with doubts about his faith. So, you go online to make it seem like you're superior for whatever reason, even though dreams have no other reason to be anything but how you described.

Hope you sort yourself out!

>You sound like a salty 12 year old with doubts about his faith. So, you go online to make it seem like you're superior for whatever reason, even though dreams have no other reason to be anything but how you described.
>Hope you sort yourself out!

Except I'm someone who has studied the entire history of philosophy and the history of the scientific method.

You sound like a 12 year old who still thinks matter is not a reductive explanation as to how consciousness comes to being.

Hahahahahah I can say I have a phd in biochemistry faggot

Materialism is true, people don't want to accept it cuz muh feels and muh death

>lmao it's reductionist bcuz muh feels and emotions

Just something we haven't figured out yet. Just like everything else that spirituality and shit tried to explain and was btfo

>Materialism is true, people don't want to accept it cuz muh feels and muh death

muh atoms, muh non-existent axioms

Read a book on Epistemology, nigger.

>Except I'm someone who has studied the entire history of philosophy and the history of the scientific method.

>You sound like a 12 year old who still thinks matter is not a reductive explanation as to how consciousness comes to being.

If you think emergentism is reductive you have some brushing up to do.

>Except I'm someone who has studied the entire history of philosophy and the history of the scientific method.
And it seems you're still a dumbass.

I never replied to your Emergentism post, you retard.

If you think I was replying to yourself you have some reading comprehension to do :^)

Literally, NOT, I repeat, NOT an argument

If you think the idea that consciousness emerges from interactions in the brain isn't emergentism, you have some brushing up to do.

Prove it does, retard.

Emergentism is literally a child's philosophy. Prove me wrong.

Go back to pol faggot

Emergentism is supported by the extensive body of evidence that changes to the brain result in changes to the mind. All other explanations rely on "but you can't completely rule out...!".

Le memes that originate from /pol/ must only be used by /pol/tards

is that way

who /dreamdiary/ here?

I have 19 recorded, started in late 2015

>Emergentism is supported by the extensive body of evidence that changes to the brain result in changes to the mind. All other explanations rely on "but you can't completely rule out...!".

Still have provided no argument except an appeal to authority fallacy.

Friendly Reminder that I made this thread to find out how people of the past viewed dreaming and a bunch of Veeky Forums Positivistards came into it and shat it up.

Like clockwork, when will they learn.

Well if you didn't come from pol I think you should check it out you'd probably fit right in, you know being a dumb faggot and all

The first actual response to the thread's topic. Thank you

>physical evidence is appeal to authority

Jesus christ, just stick to the Alan Watts and keep it to yourself.

Still haven't provided any evidence except for the usage of the word evidence.

It's almost as if you don't have any. Wow.

Really makes ya think

Because you couldn't help tossing in digs at realism in the OP. Pretty clear what you actually wanted to talk about.

I kept a dream diary for a while a few years back. It helped me remember each dream more vividly later.

Phineas Gage would be the classic case. Read a book.

>Pretty clear what you actually wanted to talk about.

Yes, dreaming and the people of the past's interpretations of it.

Fucking autist.

>Read a book.

Read a book on the scientific method, retard :^)

If you think that neurologists can account for consciousness via Emergentism then you literally, EQUIVOCALLY do not know what you are talking about.

At least I know what equivocally means kiddo :^)

le my way of interpreting the sentence is the correct one and you are wrong hah!!

Learn how language works, retard. Pick up a book on Linguistics. Maybe even knock yourself over the head with it.

>the autists itt

Just talk about the history of dreams you passive-aggressive faggots

Yeah, whenever I read about them images come flooding back into my mind.

I imagine they would have all been forgotten if I didn't write them down.

I don't understand why non-materialistfags always attack the scientific method for relying on a few basic axioms but then turn around and use personal mystic experiences

>but then turn around and use personal mystic experiences

Where did I do that :^)?

>getting this mad

the OP, man. dream interpretation.

How is asking how past cultures viewed dreaming an example of OP supporting a mystical viewpoint of consciousness?

you said a bit more than that.

The modern lucid dream technique WILD is based off of Buddhist lucid dream instructions.

Buddhist saw dreams as an illusion of the uncontrolled mind, lucid dream techniques was created by them to master the dream world. This mastery would then be used as an analogy for the illusion of the real worlds endless uncontrolled mind.

lol &humanities

I hear aborigines think think THIS world is a dream and the dreamworld is reality

Can any aussies confirm?

Maybe when we dream we become aborigines and that's why they're so irrational.

I have retarded dreams with no words in them cus I'm a retard who hardly speaks or thinks.

And you also have self esteem problems, you stupid faggot.

And I should.