Berserks and drugs

I'm trying to prove my friend that the Berserks did not use drugs, I feel right, give me sources.

No the Jew Edda does not count as a counter argument

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KWodyapGNxI&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=zLCzR34HfVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pSxWFNav8rk
youtube.com/watch?v=qu7II24go98
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Let's first see your arguement that they didn't use them.

Literally no one knows either way.

But if they existed truly in the ways described then probably.

youtube.com/watch?v=KWodyapGNxI&feature=youtu.be

youtube.com/watch?v=zLCzR34HfVQ

Even Jewish sources are countering this bullshit

Because the last thing you would want to do before going into a fight is using drugs?

I am a genuine Berserker from an old Berserker family. Drugs do help, but essentially it is condition of ultra rage that just gets triggered under certain circumstances.
And it is more of a curse than a gift in modern times.

let´s begin by defining wtf the state of being berserk is

Berserk=kings champions

Best fighter that would protect/fight for his king.

*teleports behind you*

Are pcp addicts modern day berserkers?

No idea, never tried, but amphetamines do help a lot with going berserk, thats why I don't do them anymore.

You need the shaman to cast berserk on you. Nothing to do with drugs.

Amphetamines are chemical and not natural though. Going berserk I guess is an endorphin boost rather than something chemical, Selfharm is addictive for a reason, it crawls in your mind and you keep doing it to get that feel of trance

bump

Kinda depends on the drug. Heavy psychos like acid and dmt yeah you probably don't wanna be taking those prior to combat but a deliriating stimulant could probably see some good results.

Also these guys are so jacked up on adrenaline in combat that drugs aren't even necessary to be frenzied

That is what I try to tell my jewish friend kek

There's zero evidence, literary or otherwise, of berserk and Scandinavian warrior in general. This idea comes from a single historians speculation about them using mushrooms.
Besides that, the effects of such drugs should be proof enough. Their effect is nothing like a berserk rage, and in fact would be detrimental to one's fighting ability.

Do we have any sources on viking military training/drilling or like their general warrior development philosophy?

I could see the idea of berserk originating from a latent disorganization of viking barbarian military where once the adrenaline kicks in these guys go nuts whereas a more professional army's behavior is dictated by drilling and disciplined tactics

idk just a thought

>Proving a negative

>I am a genuine Berserker from an old Berserker family.

What a convenient excuse to not provide any reasoning

Citation?

From my understanding, the word Berserk has two possible meanings: Bear-shirt or Bare-shirt, and most historians believe it's the latter. IIRC, the word arose originally in an old norse poem, and has since been used to describe any sort of magic-gifted warrior.

There's Viking-age depictions (carvings and decorations of the like) showing warriors wearing wolf-skins, and a lot of archaeologists believed these wolf-skin-wearing men were part of some warrior-cult that worshiped Odin.

Berserks are also mentioned in various sagas, and are attested to have many magical abilities, such as turning their skin impervious to weapons or dulling the iron on an opponent's sword or axe, in addition to their trance-like rage.

No one's really certain at all if Berserkers were genuine, how common they were, and how they were viewed in Norse society- they're mentioned in the Sagas, but these were oral histories that were first written down hundreds of years after the events they describe, and shouldn't be considered primary historical sources. These same sagas include stories about dragons and talking swords.

However, your interpretation of a Berserk being a king's champion seems to be... unsubstantiated.

There's a lot we don't know about the Viking-age Norse people. They were literate, and most people could read/write in their runic alphabet, but they didn't really record-keep. For the earlier portions of the Viking age, power in Norse society was very decentralized, and the Norse themselves, it seems, were pretty ameteurish at fighting. It's likely that boys grew up learning to fight from their parents, and warriors would have practiced rudimentary formations (like the shield-wall) together, but anything else is pretty much conjecture.

It's clear that almost every free man was a fighter, and carried weapons with him most of the time. Clan feuds were common, and if you couldn't fight, you wouldn't last long. Imagine, if it helps, the American Old West.

During the Christianization of Scandinavia you did see more regimented social and military structures, and power conglomerated in the hands of kings rather than hundreds of petty Chieftains or Warlords, but before that, I don't think you'd see professional warriors or trainers.

I never asked for this, I was just born with it. And I had lots of trouble because of it. I'm always afraid to get into a situation where I lose control and maybe kill or maim someone.

There are natural amphetamines like ephedrine.

>I'm always afraid to get into a situation where I lose control and maybe kill or maim someone.
>He's being serious

I don't even know what to say

I bought a $7 pen because I always lose pens and I got sick of not caring. I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Show him some Varg

youtube.com/watch?v=pSxWFNav8rk

youtube.com/watch?v=qu7II24go98

Hey, a good part of my family did time and had their lives ruined because of that. It is not like the law appreciates it when you go berserk nowadays.

>It is not like the law appreciates it when you go berserk nowadays.

Great meme potential

Starting with a conclusion and working backwards to find evidence to back it is no way to find out what actually happened.

My cousin claimed temporary insanity after an incident, but he had no chance, they did not believe him.

Maybe ur white trash

I used to do drugs, too
I still do, too
but I used to, too, too

Na, average middle class on average, everybody in my family holds a job, from construction worker to CEO. We are catholics, but thats about the only bad thing you can say about us.

OP here
His excuse was: Varg is not always right

Welcome to the 1st world man

For the sake of being a nerd, I want to believe you, but even I feel like this is probably bullshit. None the less I am interested in hearing what you "know" as I'm fascinated, and you might know interesting stuff.

How is one conditiobed to harness or gain this ultra rage?

nothing personal, kid

Well my cousin is a meak man of medium build, normal childhood, clerk at a bank.
Gets into trouble one Saturday night, 3 guys push him trough a window.
He crawls back trough the broken window and manage to knock out the 3 guys, one of them has a permanent brain damage as a result, the second one lost sight in one eye and the 3rd one got away with some facial fractures and teeth knocked out.
Apparently my cousin was still kicking their heads when the cops showed up and they had to taser him because he attacked them screaming madly.

Fun fact, the medical records show that my cousin needed 94 stiches for the various cuts he received an he lost more than 2 litres of blood because of the wounds. also he had several broken bones.
He was not trained in any martial arts.

Because of the brain damaged cunt he spent 18 months in jail, lost his job, his house and his wife. Sucks being a berserker in modern times.

Damn, reminds me of a family friend. He's best friends with my brother, good guy, very loyal. I watched that man just like black out or something, it was like he was possed. He fucking wrecked 4 guys in a fight, in this insane frenzy. I'll never forget that shit, it was like he was a whole other person. He's somewhat of a big dude, but no training or even works out, hell he works realestate now. It was just insane to watch.

>I watched that man just like black out or something, it was like he was possed.
It feels the same, like what I encountered one time was that I saw the world in red and gray only (I have normal color vision otherwise), and I had an insane urge to inflict damage on the worst damage possible, plus I couldn't differ between friend and foe anymore, I just wanted to rip everything that moves into pieces. Also, I have a partial blackout from that event, and I was totally sober at the time.
I was shit scared from that, and then my mum asked an old great aunt to "have the talk" with me. Apparently some males from my family (only via mother side, dads don't count) have a long history for such flights of rage. It is not all males tough, it looks likes my brother is normal, he has been in several fights and never triggered.

P.S. forgott, one of the guy obviously has been bitten by my cousin as he had several bite marks from my cousin and part of his ear was missing.

Toxi report on my cousin was that he had one pint of beer. Now I know the guy all my life and he never ever searched trouble, talked big or did give any other offense. Also no criminal record.

varg said they didnt use drugs

He drunk his share.

Is nobody even bothering to consider alcohol??

usually it does make you real shit at fighting.

Dude I was just kidding, did you actually show him?

Likely crack. The also found cocaine in Egyptian mummies, so I guess they had crack back then too.

Many fighters actually utilized drugs. While "berserkers" didn't exist in the stereotypical sense, there may well have been Vikings who utilized mind-altering substances to go nuts in battle. A recent example was told to me by a relative of mine. He fought in Fallujah and claims that the insurgents had raided all he hospitals and clinics for drugs. They were so fucked up, that my cousin recounts having to empty out half or all of his magazine just to put one down.

Nobody knows, but it was common enough practice to scoff down any weird herb or mushroom from the forest you might think gave you mystical abilities that it doesn't seem all that unlikely either. Whether or not you'd consider that drug or what we would call "herbal supplement" these days is wholly dependent on the circumstances and substance in question.

What about dextroamphetamines
I'd want that if I were going out to fight.

>not Pervitin

b i t c h n i g g a

Chances are they raided those hospitals and clinics for any medical supplies. That stuff is kinda valuable when one has unreliable supply lines.

PROTIP: "Medical supplies" mean hard opiates to treat pain among other things.

Medicine = drugs

One can't help but feel sorry for soviet airmen
no records exist of them getting a proper dosage of vitamin A

Meth saved the RAF in the skies over Britain.

Hard opiates being kind of shitty for actual combat and extremely useful for, you know, treating combat wounds. Among other supplies like gauze, saline, medical alcohol, and so on.

Insurgents are documented obtaining drugs, captagon made the news a couple years back, but that's an amphetamine, not an opioid. idk how much amphetamines they keep in iraqi clinics, and I doubt it's that much,