1st Credit Card Approved

Hey fellas, I'm a college sophomore that just got approved for my first credit card (Discover it® card for students) with a credit limit of $750. I should fairly get it in a few days, but I'd like a couple tips in regards to how responsible should I be with it, payments, and would just like any extra information that could help a credit card newbie like me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=attQKzngqoE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Always pay off the balance before the statement date so you don't get charged interest.

My advice is that you should use all $750 to buy MoonCoin and then shove the credit card up your ass

Always pay off the entire balance monthly and never use more than 25% of your limit in a cycle. This will help your credit grow rapidly

Never spend more than 80% on strippers and beer

LMAO

Never use it unless you can pay it in full the month afterwards

This will help you avoid interest, yes, but keeping a balance of $250 (or 1/3rd of your total available credit) or so at all times will actually do more for your score. Banks want to see that if they lend you money they'll make some money off you.

I followed this strategy until I bought my first home. Now I no longer carry balances and I pay my card off monthly.

You are in the shoes I was in a few years ago.

Now I'm 23 with a credit score of 778.

Listen to This is what I did.

Also, set up alerts on your phone for when you're approaching that 25-30% of limit area and once you get the text, use your debit card.

Pay off every month and make sure you make at least one purchase with it every month.

Take advantage of the 5% cash back this card offers every quarter, you usually get options like 5% cash back on amazon.com or 5% cash back on gas. Pick whatever you'll buy more of but don't start buying shit just because "muh free money".

Credit cards are only scary if you're an idiot with them. Don't purchase anything with a credit card unless you have the money in your bank account.

Good luck, soldier.

>t.banker

Hmmmm

I never did that and have a score over 800

Since its discover, theres probably rotating rewards depending on season. Always sign up on the website since it wont automatically do it, kikes.

Always pay off monthly like people have said.Never buy anything you wouldnt pay with cash otherwise, but buy anything you would otherwise pay cash with, with the card as it gives 1-2% cash back. Pay as many bills as possible with it due to cashback. Always use points on direct cash back or amazon purchases. Amazon can apply your discover rewards balance at checkout.

I heard that too, but then I heard its a myth

dont buy anything you wouldn't buy to begin with. Make sure you have enough money to pay it off. DO NOT pay off entire balance at end of month. Before the closing date pay off so that you're left with less than $250 in debt. Let that go into next month. Next month you're in the hole $250, before the next closing date pay enough so that you will be under $250. Repeat until you have some credit and you're 0% interest rate expires. After that pay it off fully every month. It will be tempting to use it thinking you'll just pay it off in a couple of months. Slap yourself for thinking that. Unless it's a fucking life or death emergency don't do it.

Best advice has been posted and it's all you need to know: Pay it off before you get charged interest. Use it to fill up on gas or on groceries, little shit bills that you'd normally pay for with debit or cash.

Max it out live off the credit card and put the cash into crypto

> talking about crypto in a credit card thread
Just die

Some of these posts are half right and half wrong.

Watch BeatTheBush videos on credit cards on youtube. I literally raised my score by 100 by doing what he said.

>Literally set aside another account/keep close track of your spending.
>Pay off the full amount that you have budgeted for at the end of the month.
>collect +2% cash back for being responsible
literally free money as long as your not retarded

Always use 10-15% max for better growth. Trust me. 19 with 735 score.

I really like this card. Got $100 cash back so far, and they double the cash back earned at the end of your first year.
>23 with a credit score of 778
I'm 19 and have a 762. Is it really a bragging point?

>how responsible should I be with it
only put 20-30% of the max credit you have on this card at any one time. If your credit limit is 750, don't put any more than 750*0.30 = 225 dollars on the card at any one time. Putting more than 30% on the card over a month or so will start to lower your credit ("good goy") score. Ideally, already have the cash to pay for everything, and then pay the card off every month; this way you get to build your credit score, and get the "cash back" bonus.

>payments
pay it off in full every month. Doesn't have to be before every pay period, but that makes it easier to keep track of it you do.

NEVER MISS A PAYMENT. If you fuck up and can't pay it off, at the veryvery least pay the minimum. You'll probably owe interest next month, but it's worth it to save your credit score (one missed payment hurts badly). If you miss a payment, it'll be on your record for years.

If you know 100% you are a responsible person, and won't ever overspend, then open up a couple more cards; the more "credit lines" (cards) you have open in your name over the years, the stronger your credit score gets. Try and use every credit card at least once per year to keep it active, and always always pay it off in full at the end of the month.

I'm no credit god, so anyone else let me know if i missed anything.

Wrong.

I have an 810 credit score and $100 in my bank account. I want to buy crypto i never use my credit cards. What do i do?

Alright, thanks lads. Wish me luck!

Whatever credit card you get, just make you set it up to autopay the full balance each month. This way you will never have a late payment, never pay interest, and you'll also be less likely to fall for the "free money" trap.

youtube.com/watch?v=attQKzngqoE

This is a myth. Your advice is bad and you should feel bad. You're literally telling someone to give the bank interest money for no reason.