Cool Historical Photos Thread

Anyone got any? I'll start.

Come on, someone

I have a webm

>it's been 25 years since trump was elected
Where did the time go?

That's not a historical photograph. It's a picture from a modern WWII reenactment with a shitty black & white filter.

Really? Fair enough, I didn't even know what it was, I don't label my photos.

German military cemetery for soldiers who fell in the invasion of Poland (~4,000 bodies relocated from all over the front - the ongoing war effort prevented them from relocating more).

There was a big German eagle monument which got blown up by the passing Soviets, then after the war the cemetery was bulldozed and a camping ground with a parking lot were built over it. The bodies were never moved.

In retrospect it was probably a mistake to place it in newly conquered territory.

Sad

>cathedral of light was supposed to be this amazing, historic feat of nazi showmanship and propaganda
>now just looks like a slightly more autistic football match in black and white

Imo it looks pretty cool

Nigel is unironically kind of a fag isn't he?

To some extent. Some German organisations campaigned fruitlessly for exhumation and re-burial until the 1990s when some earth from the site was symbolically re-buried at a nearby cemetery.

On the other hand the sizable Jewish minority of the town (it's my hometown) got disappeared to nearby (about 20 miles away) Auschwitz, the town's synagogue was demolished, and the Jewish cemetery was heavily damaged and scheduled for demolition (for late 1944 so finally it never happened).

so what's the lesson here?

Germany fucking sucks

speaking of Poland

Makeshift German monument
"Here lie 5 brave/tough Polish soldiers"

>That savage bantz on the plane

I am a Naziboo, and this is still funny as fuck

Soryu at Midway.

"No enemy bomber can reach the Ruhr. If one reaches the Ruhr, my name is not Göring. You may call me Meyer."

How is this not a war crime?

because they had it coming

>brutally honest

It is one.

Graves of Catholic wife and Protestant husband.

this kills the chink

Why the scribble?

That picture is actually from before ww2, it was revolt against colonial rule in Taiwan. The picture is of how Japan reacted.

I've asked myself that question too. It doesn't seem to be intended to erase the place names, as they are still visible.

>"ground crew updating Sqd. Leader Eugeniusz Horbaczewski's kill tally on his Mustang Mk. III, Polish 315th Squadron"

>COLONIZED

Why did he have to go

Stalin's son Yakov captured by Germans in 1941.

After the Battle of Stalingrad the Germans offered to exchange him for Generalfeldmarschall Paulus, but Stalin said he won't "trade a Marshal for a Lieutenant".

He supposedly died in a concentration camp later.

Le proletariat

>Killing this fun loving man
Even in Nicky was incompetent he didn't deserve to die and his family certainly didn't

Finnish-style scarecrow.

>pals

Cosmonaut hero Vlad Komarov after successful re-entry from outer space (and a failed parachute deployment).

Australia and India look pretty badass.

doing a small liberation of the netherlands dump

>"local Dutch girls write slogans and warm regards on the hull of a Polish Firefly tank after the Polish 1st Armored's liberation of Bred

What's the context on this one?

>"Canadian soldiers share their chocolate rations to Dutch locals"

This was posted on /k/ a few years ago. The user's grandfather apparently was a WW2 vet who died and left him a bunch of photos -- most pretty grim stuff of the concentration camp at Ebensee -- and a gen-yu-wine Nazi battle flag.

Best man Adolf in the background.

>"Polish troops march after the liberation of Breda"

Like I said. Grim.

>"Lieutenant Colonel David Currie posing in his Humber Armored Reconnaissance Car"

>"Dutch troops in exile, survivors of the 1940 campaign, return to liberate their homeland"

I always liked how much larger the buildings seem because there are no cars on the street, only tiny looking people.