Russia America

What would have happen if Russia didn't sale Alaska to the US?

Canadian annexation in 1917.

please explain.

I made a powerpoint for a project in highschool where we had to create our own country. I was the one kid that didn't just make something up, and I actually used this exact premise.

What was the name of the country?

he's saying they wouldn't have been able to hold on to such a distant possession through the revolution

Russian Empire collapses during WWI, Bolsheviks fail to make friends.

Canada refuses to have communists moving in next door when they get their shit together, moves troops in to "secure" it.

WWI ends. At the Paris Peace conference, Council of Four agrees to let Canada keep it. Britain pushes hard for it, America agrees as long as native rights are respected (fucking Wilson), France and Italy have little stake in the matter but go along with it (and use the instance to get better terms for themselves in the peace treaties). After all, none of the western victors are particularly sympathetic to the Bolsheviks, who look set to win the Russian civil war. And besides, the Bolsheviks willingly gave up huge amounts of land in the west to the Central Powers. Fuck them.

Sarah Palin would be Russian

Russia's possession of Alaska was basically limited to Sitka, Kodiak, and surrounding islands, and the Tsars of Russia had largely been ambivalent of it, when not encouraging people to cut it loose for its vulnerabilities.

I would say if Russia had kept it it may have actually been more developed due to Seattle never becoming a trade bottleneck due to the retarded laws passed upon its designation as a territory. Canada would likely have purchased or attempted to annex it, with a larger stake in the Pacific trade circles being something desirable at the time, but if Russia never managed to sell it to either I can imagine the japanese would make a play at annexing it during the world wars, and be more successul than their temporary possession of a few of the Aleutians

>parts of russia are falling to the red army
>want to halt the revolution
>russia has a bit of land right next to you that is seperated by sea
>annex the land before the red army can

Maybe it would have become the Tsarist equivalent of Taiwan.

>(fucking Wilson),

that would be a cool alt history book

The (Chinese) Nationalists weren't really the same thing as a (Russian) royal family.

The Tsarist faction would have just been, at best, a short-lived government in exile.

And besides, they were captured and executed. There was no legitimate (or at least meaningful) Tsardom left to call on.

I can really see this happening. Good post.

>>(fucking Wilson),
Why?

There were plenty of White Russians with which to populate the Tsardom of Alyaska while the Red Russians did their thing on the mainland

Yes why, Wilson was a racist, why would he give a shit about the natives?

The bulk of the White Russians fled to the Crimea. Now, if there would have been any chance of a "Russian Taiwan", it would have been in the Crimea. The eastern reaches of Siberia are inhospitable and punishing; it is not easy to consolidate any type of government or administration in that huge area, unlike the compact Crimea situated along commerce lines,

Self-determination rhetoric.

Nah. Taiwan is an island and had the benefit of a sympathetic US Pacific Fleet to keep it safe. Crimea is connected to the continent and situated on a Russian-dominated Black Sea. As soon as the Soviets got around to it, Criwan would have been screwed.