Favourite Castles

ITT: we post our favourite castles, along with some interesting facts about them.

>Kenilworth
Longest and at that point largest siege in British history.
Place where Edward II abdicated.
Rumoured to have caused Henry V's expedition to France.

Other urls found in this thread:

guedelon.fr/en/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's strange because Kenilworth is rarely mentioned compared to other castles in the UK but it seems like every mediboo considers it the Holy Grail of English castles.

Posted this in previous thread: Arva Castle, Hungarian kingdom (now Slovakia)

Was built after the first Mongol invasion, the first Nosferatu movie was filmed there and the Kaer Morhen castle from Witcher 3 game is based on it.

Castles on rock faces like that give me a boner, like this one.

This is probably because Warwick castle is not that far away, and when it comes to amount of visitors and TV appearances, the aesthetic Warwick will always be more popular. However, it's history is literally that it was owned by rich barons, whereas Kenilworth was involved in actual historical events.

Dolbadarn castle in Gwynedd, North Wales. Built by Llewelyn the Great. It was built to guard the passes through Snowdonia but also because it was symbolic.

Biggest red brick castle in Europe.

I've always liked Malbork since I first read about it a few years back. Even if you ignore its history, it's amazing to look at.

Yep. Different angle.

last one I have, hopefully someone else can keep this thread alive

Do you guys have any castle floor plans? I need some inspiration.

Research into its history = English is a meme

Protestants rule now, and keep British people in ignorance.

Forgot image

More like this?

Look up Stephen Biesty Castle

Shiiiiiit.

I remember this pictures and others like it as a kid. I used to spend hours just staring at them. beats Waldo hands down.

Inspiration for what?

I can't seem to find any decent quality plans. here's one of Beaumaris castle. It was never finished though.

I love how incredibly detailed they were.

Also does anyone know some good vidya about castles? I can only think of Stronghold.

Still be used as a fortress today, unfortunately.

God, it's so comfy.

I'm making maps for an RPG mainly looking for early castles.

Here is the plan of the now ruined castle of Coucy.

Its particularity was its huge keep, which was blown up by the retreating German army in WW1.

Hohenzollern Castle looks like fucking Hogwarts

Bronze Age Sardinia.

I wish this thing was still standing.

Okay, forget about military purpose for a moment, what's the best looking "castle?"
Which would you choose for your royal vacation home?

What century are you looking for, and do you have any regional preference?

Easy.

>All these German castles built in the XIX century
Why did Germans do this? Was it autism or something?

It seems it was the done thing at the time to have a romanticised castle for a home. The bongs did it too.

why is there hello kitty pasted all over the city?

It's damned sexy

Carrickfergus Castle, Carrickfergus Co. Antrim

>Built by John de Courcy, the Norman Knight who conquered Ulster
>Held out against Robert the Bruce's younger brother, Edward, in his attempt to become High King of Ireland.
>Landing spot of William III in his war against James II in Ireland.

Mainly French/Norman 1100-1200. Nice square keeps.

To many beautiful castles have fallen.

956 AD

1486–1516 AD

Literally just a block of castle.

Fun fact: this is where the Tarrasque comes from.

Beautiful.

Barely qualifies as a castle, but comfy choice. Always preferred visiting it rather than Caerphilly castle.

Anyone already went here?

guedelon.fr/en/

It's a castle building project in Burgundy, France, using medieval techniques. Looks like you can also participate in the construction.

These threads make me want to be a stonemason.

Salzburg castle is pretty cool. Probably wouldn't look much if you put it in another location, but where it is overlooking the city it looks pretty fucking majestic.

Bodiam Castle

Caerphilly Castle

Rheinstein Castle

Was about to post
>cardiff > rct
But apparently Caerphilly isn't even in Rhonda it has its own little council.

They build a lot of things, bridges, churches, roads, rail lines, hotels, parks, even mock-up mosques.
Why? To boost tourism. Worked even better then expected.

Predjama castle in Slovenia, built on a cliffside on the entrance to the cave behind it. Hence the name, meaning "cavefront". You can also see the escape exit a bit lower on the cliff.

Karlštejn castle, Czechia

I wish my country had cliffs like that

Trakošćan castle, Croatia

Troski Castle, Czech Republic

Chojnik (Kynast), Silesia

always wanted to go on a driving trip in either germany or france seeing all the medieval castles.

should i just stick to france?

It looks almost otherworldly

Was it ever taken by force?

Tarasp castle, Switzerland

Chillon, Switzerland

Hallwyl, Switzerland

Aarburg fortress, Switzerland

Sargans, Switzerland

There was a castle about 400 meters away from me, it fell into decay, someone leveled it completely about 100 years ago and all that is left is an empty field for cows.

It's only record of existence is in old maps.

> S. Ireland

Amazing how much history just gets swept away, we're the only generation that actively stops the destruction of ancient sites, how much history has been lost by the generations who didn't give a shit, or didn't have any regulations to prevent them for erasing history.

Gruyères, Switzerland

King John's castle, Ireland

Kyburg, Switzerland

Cahir castle, Ireland

Bellinzona, Switzerland

Do you mind telling me why you need so many fortresses in your land? Where they the conquerors? Or are they defensive?

Bunratty Castle, Ireland

Kilkenny Castle

Other castle at Bellinzona, Switzerland

Munot, Schaffhausen, Switzerland