Elizabeth I

>Harold Godwinson
Let's be honest, he was getting HAMMERED by bullshit as 1066 approached

Anglo's live to be cucked

Anglos live TO cuck

Seeing as how you speak my tongue

Fuck off Pierre

King arthur, obviously
>tfw you realise England's most idealised fictional king was cucked by a french knight.

The cuckholding goes far back in history with the british.

He was Welsh tho

I agree with this unironically.

I think Alfred and William were top tier.

>True King Tier
Harald Hardrada

William would have been great if he hadn't completely chimped out against the north for literally no reason. He pretty much sent the north of England back to the stone age and it's still not recovered

Yeah that is a mark against him.

I actually live in the far north of England so I feel like I should hate him.

This was a ranking of the shit-tier English kings.

Geordie?

Aye

Nice language you have there.

Better than your mongrel Latin

>England can barely have a Anglo Monarch for 250 years
>France has a Frankish->French Monarch for 90% of it's existence.

Remember who is the master of your Monarchy and Bedroom mutt.

william was just a norse rapebaby. might as well call him vilhjálmur

>1. Anything before 1066 (except for the vikings kings)
Not really a king. Just a chief among chiefs. Can't really be called "great" leaders.

>2. The early Plantagenets and their offspring
Their most important role was connecting England to the mainland of Europe, and moving it away from Scandinavia. Their focus on France nearly ruined England. Cool knights, but shit rulers.

>Bonus: Stephen
Shit

>3. The later Plantagenets
Cursed by their ancestors, they were given a broken kingdom. Focused more on the island, instead of France. They couldn't fix the kingdom.

>4. The early Tudors
Kept the kingdom from complete disintegration, and began revitalization. They thought of themselves as truly British.

>5. The late Tudors
Awesome. Transformed England into a major European power.

>6. The early Stuarts
Continuing the growth started by late Tudors

>7. Cromwells
Wannabe kigns.

>8. The late Stuarts
The British nation had never been more powerful. These guys had unlimited power.

>9. Hanovers
Powerless fools who were too lazy to rule, so they gave their power away. Lived a life of luxury while "ruling" over a giant empire (without really ruling it)

>10. Windsor
Great propaganda pieces, but virtually powerless.

total vocabulary =/= used vocabulary; the most frequent words in English are of Ingvaeonic origin

A E S T H E T I C
as fuck

harald hardrada had an epic life story

>Not really a king. Just a chief among chiefs. Can't really be called "great" leaders.
Blatantly untrue, the latter ones were stylized rightfully as 'King of the Anglo-Saxons', and had the only English monarch who ever earned the title 'the Great'

>Implying that's not stunning

County Durham who lives in Newcastle now

God that looks beautiful. So sad.

Is that Greco Latin based? Christ she's beautiful

>Harold Godwinson
>disaster tier

Roger FitzOsbern Mortimer le Clare detected

Why do you keep posting this meme chart and argument despite being disproven every times?
These stats are damaged by the fact useless structure words such as "the" or "a" are all Germanic

If you look at words that give the sense to a sentence, half of them are French (which is why French is more interunderstandable with English than German is)

Yes, I'm sure all the meaning in the texts would be lost if you took out the 11% French words out of Twain's Text or the 5% in Dickens'.

>no Edward "Malleus Scotorum" Longshanks
trash list

>useless structure words

the language is incomprehensible without those words

canute the great is the best king

Let's remove them from your sentence

>language is incomprehensible without those words

>blaming Harold Godwinson for Edward the Confessor's succession crisis

He did the absolute best he could given such circumstances.

Harold godwinson faced two invasions in a year, one arriving just after he defeated the other, forcing him to force march his army - the levies of which had already gone home- gathering what reinforcement he could on the way south.

William was lucky, Harold was unfortunate, but had Harold triumphed it would have been no tragedy

>but had Harold triumphed it would have been no tragedy
We'd still be living in mud huts and speaking with germanic grunts

>ENGLISH KINGS

Didn't exist until a bunch of Carolingian Danish mercenaries invaded Britain, added it as a province to their Empire.

Protestant Fairytales in ITT

where's arthur on the lit?

t. Pierre

>arthur

He's not "English", whatever that means.

who's he then? I thought he was considered an english monarch, albeit a mythical one

He was a much loved figure of Romano-British stock.

He is an embarrassment to the generations of the Glorious Revolution.

why is he an embarrassment tho?
I thought that anglos cherished their popular 'history'

They tyrannically project an "english" history on to the commons, the Protestants claim that all Britons were ethnically cleansed.

You have to understand that Protestantism was a racially applied religion, where anyone who was Catholic was not White.

To tell the commons they are the same as their rivals, would be to pacify themselves before their wars begun.

that's some seriously fucked up shit, but I guess that's what happens when you apply propaganda to anything to make it politically viable for you to use

We're living lies within lies, so we can reinforce their lies.

>56% of all words in "English" are in fact French or Latin derivatives

LEL

No he was a based Romano-Brit

Cnut the Great should be in top tier desu, and Sveyn should be in honorable mentions with William.

Also I never understood the praise for Alfred. Didn't the Danelaw get established regardless? All he did was not get England conquered entirely, and granted he had one huge victory, but still ended up paying taxes to the Danes.

>Because English people often talk about "linguistic diversity"

Most of the language people ACTUALLY use is Old English in origin

Harold Godwinson should swap places with Edward the Confessor. It was Edward's fault that the succession crisis occurred

>comparing english with post-consonant shift standard German

>structure words
>useless
What's goofy is including the hordes of medical terminology in the total vocabulary that slants the idea that we use Latin-origin words that much.

Weren't the Scots protestant before the English

no it's Germanic you fucking idiot

Look at all those -um's everywhere. Of course it's Latin.

That's the whole point. Had Wessex fallen, English history would've been irrevocably changed. And you forget that Alfred's grandson Aethelstan managed to counterattack and conquer the Danelaw, thus becoming the 1st King of England.

And yeah, Cnut the Great deserves to be up there. He was far better than the Bastard of Normandy because he didn't oppress the English like William and his henchmen did. The English loved Cnut because he proved himself to be a good administrator.

Yep. Edward was too Norman in outlook and he failed to leave an heir for England. He didn't even openly proclaim Edgar the Atheling as his successor in the event of his death. Fuck Edward the Confessor.

I'm not even of English descent, but it baffles me how England basically forgot all its pre-1066 kings. It really proves that Victors write History. The Normans and the Plantagenets robbed the Anglo-Saxons of their culture and identity for centuries. And their influence still permeates to this day. I'm surprised commoners didn't wipe out all the Anglo-Norman families when they had a chance. Usually the conquered people overthrow and slaughter their foreign overlords when the opportunity presents itself.

That is bullshit and you know it. The only advantages that the Normans had over the Anglo-Saxons was castle-building and cavalry. The Normans saw that the English had a superior form of administration and tax-gathering. Even English law with its charters and moots were better than the trial by combat bullshit the Normans and Plantagents favored.

Pre-Norman England had a thriving contact with the rest of Europe. They would've eventually learned how to build castles and other tech of the time.

>adopted suffixes means Anglo-Saxon is now a Greo-Latin language
I suppose modern Englishis Romance as well?

Well... yeah

Vocabulary does not define linguistic heritage, user.

But it's more than just vocabulary

English word order is much more like French than German, it also has no cases unlike other Germanic languages.

I really hate this board sometimes.
Educate yourself, idiot. You have no clue about linguistics, why the hell are you trying to argue that English is a romance language when it isn't.

Shittons of words used everyday are of French origin ("person", "place", "actually", "really", "point", "use", "number", "people", "city"...etc)

>English monarchs thread
>OP excludes queens

Get a load of THIS cuck!
>Great Tier
Elizabeth I
Edward the Confessor
>Hype Tier
Alfred the """great"""
William the Bastard
Mary Tudor
Henry VIII
>Eh Tier