The FUD is real

woke up this morning to a text from my bank asking if my coinbase transaction was me. I remember reading an article where a guy lost 8k after verifying a text from verizon. this isn't a game guys. you could lose everything in a moment, please practice proper security. feel free to discuss security tips and experiences and whatever in this bread.

What?

I got the same thing except from Chase when I tried to buy ETH. This shit is a scam? Wtf?

banks pooing the beds.

I have no reason to distrust coinbase, but other people can hack coinbase users if they are smart enough I believe. I'm hoping the text actually was from my bank and not the hackers trying to break the 2FA on my account. I know FUD is used to refer to nocoiners outlook on crypto, but FUD also exists for coiners who are wary of hackers, the uncertainty of altcoins / ICO's, etc. Please share your tips for countering FUD. HODL is a great one. I hope we all make it to the promised Lamboland one day.

>I remember reading an article where a guy lost 8k after verifying a text from verizon.
Me too, and I didn't quite get it how he was hacked.

Could anyone shed some light?

ETH in itself is not a scam. I'm saying a malicious 3rd party could hack into your coinbase account, initiate a bank withdrawal to a crypto, and then transfer that crypto to their address, and disappear.

pic related

They broke 2FA on his account by social engineering Verizon customer support and rerouting his SMS messages to another sim card.

That's fairly impressive, but how is it possible to reroute SMS messages?

Yeah that guy got kiked and he should pursue legal action against Verizon desu

Your cell phone provider can program your SIM card to act as any phone number it wants.

coinbase's card Tx occurs in Britain.

Because of the highl general cases of fraud concerning out of country and bitcoin businesses, banks will halt any transactions, and the better ones will text you to verify Tx before processing.

The fastest way to get your order through is to call the 1-800 number on the card while you are at the PC preparing to make the buy, so you can whitelist the recipient and get instant approval.

This. If he wins it could be a huge lawsuit against Verizon and he could make a fortune.

Oh wait no he's just gonna blog about it online like a moron instead.

This is normal practise if a transaction is large or it sets off some kind of trigger making it suspicious ,just make sure its really your bank

huh? What's the problem?

"Hey, that coinbase transaction was you, rite?"

"Yes that was me."

"Ok cool."

I understand. What's strange is that I already verified the card by putting in the number amounts for the 2 small deposits they made.

I have 2fa with Coinbase but it's scary as shit cause if my phone gets lost I'm fucked right? Is there any form of backup in case that happens? I have the backup codes for my gmail account. Would that help?

well your phone itself has a lock right? any attack would have to break that lock first. also, there's probably a way to brick your phone remotely if it gets lost and then transfer the 2fa stuff to your new phone...

I'm not worried about an attack, I'm worried about if my phone stopped working all of a sudden. Would I be able to recover my phone number and access my account?

If I lose my 2FA phone for Coinbase, could I still access it with a new phone if I get my same number back?

>being so dumb you leave coins on exchange
>being so fucking dumb you leave coins on exchange without google auth.
The size of those neurons

Reading comprehension? I have Google 2FA enabled. I'm just worried about what happens if my phone got lost of broken.

Save coins offline, hodl and hide private keys in safe place, like inside your anal cavity.

I'm waiting for a nano wallet in the mail next month. Until then, I have to make due with Coinbase.

OP's anal cavity would be the least safe place to hide anything

>If he wins it could be a huge lawsuit against Verizon and he could make a fortune.

wtf, no. He can sue for damages that he can prove. He doesn't just get free money for nothing.

Don't hold your bitcoins in an exchange. If you have more than a thousand dollars of bitcoin/eth you need one of these

Google 2FA is bound to ur gmail account, not to your phone you fuckin noob. You can access it anywhere you want.

Holy shit..

You need the authenticator app, which is set to your phone. How the hell can I use it on my PC?

Only a fucking fool would fall for this.

There's no reason the average person wouldn't fall for that.
There's nothing alarming to it that would be caught by an untrained eye.

Are u really too dumb to type in your fuckin browser search bar "how to recover google 2fa"?

Kys

What's the goal of this scam?

the google 2fa for coinbase is different than the one for your email. I have the backup codes for my gmail but how would that work for Coinbase?

Fall for what? this is exactly the conversation you would have over the phone if they suspect fraud.

>Only a fucking fool would fall for this.
nice troll, bro, that's a legit message or it can't possibly harm anyone

No it wouldn't, disable then re-enable and save the original code somewhere safe like keepass and back that up.

Coinbase could verify your identity, but other places you could be fucked.

>offline
>muh nano wallet
Can someone explain these memes to me? Your coins exist on the blockchain, not on your drive, so what is your point? Literally print out your private keys and put the paper in a safe somewhere. What are you guys even talking about?

Thanks, just did that and hid the code under my bed, lol.

protip goys do not keep large (relative to you) amounts of coins on the exchange but not only for the reason you're thinking.

if you are raging because you can't transfer them over fast enough to make a trade you are in the fomo or the panic state - you are scrambling to buy or sell because the market is moving, this is the action of a faggot. you should ask yourself why do you have a large amount of this coin in the first place? because other people do? what is your own reason? why are you a step behind the herd instead of a step in front when you have a meaningful stake?

if you can't make a call literally minutes out you had never made a decision, you are the faggot who is trapped by the filthy pajeets on pump, you are the faggot who is cleaned out by the whale on dump. be a faggot on Veeky Forums, do not be a faggot on the exchange, do not smash the keyboard over the tx time, deep breaths, count to 10, think before you act.

>you are the faggot who is trapped by the filthy pajeets on pump, you are the faggot who is cleaned out by the whale on dump

It's like poetry..

chekt and kekt my man

gonna send you some dubs

because the scammer called verizon and got them to change the guys phone number to a new phone just by using billing information for verification