What the fuck was going on in medieval Bologna?

What the fuck was going on in medieval Bologna?

Other urls found in this thread:

bookzz.org/book/733410/812519
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Towers. Lots of towers.

modern bologna still has towers just not as many

clan wars
you only could feel safe on your own tower

Wizards

Just a dick contest between the local gentry

Feuding families built them in competition with each other. They serves as fortresses for rival families that constantly feuded with each other in the mid/late medieval italy. by the late 1200s/early 1300s the city state governments started to assert their dominance over these clan feuds and ordinances were passed that restricted the height of buildings. On top of that most towers were dismantled altogether or destroyed in wars or civil turmoil

must have been cool as fuck. I wonder if they made bridges between the towers of allied families. I myself don't actually know what was inside the towers. In bologne the main towers in the center looked like people were just walking up a narrow, short staircase that resembled a tunnel but i didn't go inside myself. Were there furnished apartments? kitchens? weapon rooms?

One god damn beautiful disaster!

Clan feuds at its best, wish I could have seen it myself.

gotta say this seems like a bad idea in a region with so many earthquakes

Ezio needed something to do.

/thread

thought I'd post a little reading on the subject for those interested in the period

next chapter goes on more into detail about the rival families and tower. i'll post on request

So Germans have been universally autistic since at least the middle ages

Very interesting

>Germans

user, I...

Great dude.

This sienese painting is some of the finest civic art of the renaissance. It is called The Effects of Government by Ambrogio Lorenzetti. Notice that Ambrogio's ideal of the well governed commune the towers (i.e. violent feuding clans) are almost placed out of view in the background of the painting so as to indicate that feuding has no place in this peaceful order.

I'm glad you like. I have to go somewhere atm, but when I come back I'll post the rest on the subject. It's about 6 to 10 pages more.

>pic related
Is another painting by Ambrosio on the wall directly opposite of the former painting. It does not survive as well as the first but the theme is on bad government, the antithesis of the other wall. Notice in the detail that a tower is located to the FORE of the painting and there's a guy about to btfo the other with the ax in the tip of it. This is government by feud and its bad mmkay

Cool stuff.

I like how you can make out the Cathedral in the top left.

Yea its fantastic in person, as is the inside of the palazzo pubblico is in general

Fun fact: in yoir pic notice the huge arches. That was a failed sienese attempt to create a gigantic cathedral to outdo the florentines. The idea was that the siena catherdral would be converged into the transept of the new cathedral. It was megalonia and as siena faved financial difficulties and architectural problems they had to abandon the project

That's Italy you illiterate fool.

back with moar

this is the last one. theres more but this is the most relevant section to the thread

Bologna is stonkest city state.
Therefore Bologna take clay from neighbors.

Dumb poster

I've been to san gimigano and seen those towers, it's pretty cool. It's called the "Manhattan of Italy" because of the towers.

>Bologna
People were foreveral delitised

These heights are exaggerated right? Some look like they are 30-40 stories high.

do americans read that phonetically as 'what the fuck was going on in medieval baloney'?

I say
Bolonya

Look at the last of the first batch of text posted and the size of the towers are described. Im not good with scale so tell me if its accurate cause im curious to know myself

Un solo grido
Un solo allarme
Bologna in fiamme
Bologna in fiamme

Aliens

That was a good read, thanks man.

np. if your interested the book is the power and imagination: the City States of renaissance italy by lauro martines
bookzz.org/book/733410/812519

Well thats it, italians are literally cartoon characters.

What, did one day the guy with the biggest tower the day before wakes up and goes to his window just to an even taller tower next door, as his eyes pop out of his head with a *KAZOOOONGA!!#$%!* sound effect plays.

Is there anywhere else in the world like this?

Closest I can think of is Yemen.

What the fuck
I thought this was an 18th century sketch of a city at first

Those buildings are where they make the sandwich meat that they were named after.

Tower rush on the TC

kek

>tfw the ancestor of car tuning is italian families having a dick waving contest over their towers

training camp for the italian spiderman

Kowloon walled city,demolished though.

>lombards
>not germanic

This was going to be my answer.

As the late Terry Pratchett wrote, put a wizard - no matter how magically inept - down in an empty space with some rocks scattered around and by instinct he will try to stack them into a tower.

Like a termite building a mound, or something.