Is there a particular quote or saying that a historical figure said that stuck/ resonated with you?

Is there a particular quote or saying that a historical figure said that stuck/ resonated with you?

>Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

>We must not put off until tomorrow the duty of helping those who must suffer today.

Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.
Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

Not sure if Orson Welles counts as a historical figure, but re-reading "The Prince" recently reminded of this quote.

You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

"The nature of man is an example, and examples exist not to be ceased but forever set a precedent"

>Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.
>mfw I first seen the quote

Cuck quote

Fake. That's a quote literally dreamt up by Stormfront. The closest thing Ol' Marc said to that is:

>"Since it is possible that thou mayest depart from life this very moment, regulate every act and thought accordingly. But to go away from among men, if there are gods, is not a thing to be afraid of, for the gods will not involve thee in evil; but if indeed they do not exist, or if they have no concern about human affairs, what is it to me to live in a universe devoid of gods or devoid of Providence? But Gods there are, undoubtedly, and they regard human affairs; and have put it wholly in our power, that we should not fall into what is truly evil."

...Which kind of means something entirely different.

inb4 we wuz memes, it's true in both literal and metaphorical sense

how relevant

>Since it is possible that thou mayest
meditations wasn't written in English, why is it translated so archaically?

>ayo hol up
>are you saying
>we wuz educated enough to no longer be fit to be enslaved and shit

makes for a pretty good wallpaper

>With great power comes great responsibility.

could you pick a Ben Franklin quote more cliched and unoriginal?

>is mad some other user beat him to the quote he wanted to use

bitch please. Right-wingers beat that quote into the ground. There are so many good Ben Franklin quotes out there and they fixate on the one which kind of sounds like he's validating their opinions

>On the coming of evening, I return to my house and enter my study; and at the door I take off the day's clothing, covered with mud and dust, and put on garments regal and courtly; and reclothed appropriately, I enter the ancient courts of ancient men, where, received by them with affection, I feed on that food which only is mine and which I was born for, where I am not ashamed to speak with them and to ask them the reason for their actions; and they in their kindness answer me; and for four hours of time I do not feel boredom, I forget every trouble, I do not dread poverty, I am not frightened by death; entirely I give myself over to them.

>Make Russia great again

"Dieu me la donne, gare à qui la touche!"

>What are you gonna do, stab me?

idk but i always thought it simply hailed and sleeted a lot in germany

>good and great men are seldom the same

>Now I am become comf, creator of smug.

if

>Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self-interest