What can Veeky Forums tell me about America's role in ww1

What can Veeky Forums tell me about America's role in ww1

Other urls found in this thread:

spartacus-educational.com/FWWcosts.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Battles_of_World_War_I_involving_the_United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Straw that broke the camels back

Basically showed up to be the good boys when the war was already won.

Lost 500,000 in less than a year cause they figured the British and French method of fighting was valid even though those fucks lost millions already.

Then claim they won the war by themselves.

That was Italy, Final german offensive already failed before those fat fucks stepped off the boat

we made it seem like we had more people than we really did

Also another question, why did the American uniforms so closely resemble British uniforms

Their military contribution was decisive when it was around but limited to about five months of combat. Their financial/material/political contribution, on the other hand, was enormous.

spartacus-educational.com/FWWcosts.htm

>cost of war in 1914 dollars
>United States: 22,625,253,000
>France: 24,265,583,000
>Great Britain: 35,334,012,000

>Basically showed up to be the good boys when the war was already won.

The war was far from won at that point, and still could have gone either way.

>Lost 500,000 in less than a year cause they figured the British and French method of fighting was valid even though those fucks lost millions already.

Total US battle casualties in the war were only ~270,000, of which some 61,000 were KIA and 4,500 POW. They inflicted proportionate casualties on the enemy despite being an inexperienced force.

WWI is significant in developing the Marine Corps' role in the American military. Before WWI they were a relatively small and not super well known group, but thanks to events like the Battle of Belleau Wood they got a lot of fame and basically turned into another US Army, though with a more naval spin. Were it not for the fame they gained, they might be a lot more like the Royal or Dutch Marines, an elite group, but not a whole military branch unto themselves.

Oh also, the Americans were great with shotguns and the Germans got super butthurt about it.

Won it

Principal engagements you should know about:

Initial:
Cantigny
Belleau Wood

Spring Offensive:
Second Marne

Hundred Days Offensive:
St. Quentin Canal
St.-Mihiel
Argonne Forest

Boosted morale, helped get the fronts moving again, at the point the Americans joined the French soldiers had already banded together to say if you order us forward we quit the field. But Germany was already in the process of losing the war. >Then claim they won the war by themselves
Only a stupid person would do that.

The Meuse-Argonne Offensive was a great pinning move and allowed a broad front action that the Germans could not stop and would not have been possible without the extra American manpower, so there's that.

Also most historians agree (though some contest in favor of the British) that the Americans were the first to penetrate the Hindenburg line.

>Basically showed up to be the good boys when the war was already won.

This is a myth. The US unironically tipped the balance, it just didn't do it in a way that makes American nationalists feel proud. Basically, our soft greedy bankers wrote massive checks to Britain and France, giving them the funds and supplies they needed to break the stalemate with Germany. Hardly the kind of thing you can put into a movie or a video game.

And that was really our most important contribution. As the British "Times History of The War", published in 1919, puts it, "The entry of the United States saved the day".

It's funny, neither American or French/British nationalists want to accept the reality of the American role in WWI, because from our side of things it's very unimpressive (mostly money/food) and from the French/British side it forces them to admit that they couldn't have done it alone.

But this wasn't as much of a concern in the immediate aftermath of the war, so thankfully we have documents and books from this period that explain it with limited bias.

Italy fought for years though. It's not quite the straw that broke the camel's back when you've added more straw after it.

The larger the world economy the more effective a blockade is, so the mere presence of the American economy aided the Entente.

Also the British ensured America would ultimately be on their side by censoring news about the war. Americans heard largely just British propaganda and virtually no German.

President Woodrow Wilson and his policies can be rightfully blamed for lengthening the first world war by years and laying down the foundations for the second.

>for lengthening the first world war by years
??? Surely, you don't mean the time between the armistice and the peace signing? Because everyone bickered about who was supposed to get what and what should be taken and if it should even be taken at all.

By the time America entered the war, the German's had been softened up and exhausted from the continuation of the war.
they lost because they were out numbered, because they lost the war of production, and because they were being starved out of it by the allied blockade.

The Battle of Amiens was the British Empire’s offensive which finished Germany.

It succeeded beyond all expectations especially in changing the minds of the German high command – they now knew that the war was unwinnable and over and that they had lost it.

Showed up right when Britain started actively participating and not just throwing colonies into machinegun fire.

Used shotguns, poison gas using Krauts called that "inhumane"

Essentially were the last straw and helped win the war.

How did Britain censor American media?

I think America just had more in common with France and Britain geopolitically. Britain had a world class navy and empire, France had an empire, Canada was right next to it, all were democratic and full into capitalism.

By deliberately cut off most of Germany's transatlantic cables during WW1 and thus making sure that their perspective wouldn't be heard.

*cutting off

Britain cut Germany's Atlantic telegraph cable. Most of the news about the war came through Britain.

Also, the Lusitania was inexplicably left unprotected by the British and the Zimmerman telegraph was intercepted by Britain and given to the USA. Anglos engineered the US entrance into the war.

And keep in mind that leading up to WW1 America had millions of Germans and America was planning for a war with Britain.

*German immigrants

Is the black soldiers thing real or just a meme

Real memes desu.

holy shit american wehraboos are delusional
>america was planning for a war against britain
>source: my ass

Britain and America were on good terms in the 1900's.

sold weapons to both sides
spread STD's
if they had just been Atlantis'd in 1900, then the Triple Entente would have won quicker
the german population became american overnight to avoid persecution
increased racial tension due to lack of white workers in north meant more jos for blacks
sale of warbonds is what led to trust of stock market, thus america involving itslef in ww1 can be said to cause ww2, as the Stresseman years did germany quite well and Hitler had little chance of success until the depression hit
Created memestates like Czechslovakia from the white house rather than leting people have referendums on where they wanted to live.
little involvement in war but demanded main seat at the confrence, thus making Versailles too lenient to the Germans thus allowing war to happen
Didn't suppourt intervention into Germany thus helping create he stab in the back myth
Rejected Japan's racial equality for great powers proposal, thus radicalsing Japan and making them hate the west, all because you coouldn't get along with your old farm equipment.
Demanded the entente sue for peace without reaig the peace terms of '17, IE fine with the permanent occupation of Belgium
Only taken involvement in war seriously once the Jews were promised Jerusalem, thus giving rise to propaganda of how the jews control america leading to ww2
Only serisouly became involved when Germany advised Mexico to invade, so rather than just attack Mexico and get some more land, they involve themsleves in the World War to get more GIBSMEDAT

TL;DR America fucked everything up
Sorry for bad English

Finally. Someone in this thread knows their shit.

Don't forget how British High Command seriosuly thought promising the Jews Jerusalem would get America involved in the war.
How cucked do you feel now
Harlem Hellfighters did fight, however their best was an Agnlo or French's moderate

didnt everyon,even the french get butthurt about it?i never understood that

>Using poison gas and flamethrowers or machineguns is fine
>using shotguns and sawtooth bayonets isnt

whats the reasoning here?

How well did the US perform in the first world war?did they lose any battles?

Well it's what you get for studying 'Civil Rights and Race Relations, in the USA, 1850- 2009 and being tested on it and not just quoting Wikipedia.
And yes I am annoyed the course did cover stuff before the 20 year clause was in affect. I really do want to see if white supremacists bought drugs and booze to give to black voters so they wouldn't be able to vote.
Because shotguns are designed to kill wild animals that threaten your livestock, whilst rifles are accurate and give a quick death compared to a shotgun, where you'll get ripped apart or die of infection 2 months later.
Dule est Decorum pro patria Mori.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Battles_of_World_War_I_involving_the_United_States
I know it's wikipedia but just skim through it. The last guy to die in ww1 was an American who wanted o brag about killing Germans when he went home

>Colonial powers needed to take debts from a Great Power
Ya what m8, if they really wanted they could have just increased taxes in the colonies, this would make them lose one or two aftr the war but the Great Depression saw off with the rest, which is still America's fault BTW

Pershing ordered attacks on the last day of the war killing 10k troops

>America was planning for a war with Britain.
Care to cite a credible source for that?
Because that is total shit.

How is America to blame for world war 2 from lenient stance on the treaty when the Brittish and French did not even bother enforcing it?
The United states is not to blame for the depression, it is a complex matter you can not pin on a few countries.
Czechoslovakia declared independence in its own from the Austrians.
Why in fucks name would the US invade Mexico when the Germans are trying to coerce them into invading the US, that is beyond stupid.
The US wanted to stay neutral until the Zimmerman telegram, that posed a threat to the US and to the American SOI.
You have a poor understanding of the subject I would encourage you to study it more a lot of what you said sounds like it came from the mouth of a frothing propaganda.

Does your handler not moniter your computer use?

>How is America to blame for world war 2 from lenient stance on the treaty when the Brittish and French did not even bother enforcing it?
Stubbornness that enforcing it would be saying the American were right. When the French marched into the Ruhr to collect the Debts Germany had denied them, there was international clamour about the war starting again and how as it was France's fault this time Britain would not intervene.
>The United states is not to blame for the depression, it is a complex matter you can not pin on a few countries.
the Great epression was called that because of how far reaching the affects were. The failure of the stock market meant companies could not pay their workers as everyone had got used to credit which was now worthless. This meant sacking people, which meant inflation in prices of goods. Business owners were now unwilling to invest in Germany as they focused on their empire first, tthus leading to Germany being worse for wear.
The reliance on the stock market for more than just the upper class began because of the government advertising warbonds so often, and people liking paying in and getting some money back at the end of the month. Stocks people capitalised on the trust and so near the end of the advertised their stocks which caught people on.
War bonds only became a thing because America was so open to buying up the Ententes debt for various orders .
>Czechoslovakia declared independence in its own from the Austrians.
I don't think they called themselves Czechslovakia, and Wilson's balkanisation policy fucked with everyone. Look back to how the previous free Baltic states had the GP's help decide their borders for stability and to stop further war. but nope Wilson just had too put together two ethnicities who were only united in their hatred of Hapsburg rule, and even in HRE days had been separate.

>Why in fucks name would the US invade Mexico when the Germans are trying to coerce them into invading the US, that is beyond stupid.
Because your politicians are retarded, and don't have a Bismark to say 'Pre-emptive war is like shooting yourself to avoid being killed'. And only in 1905 or something did America reach its current size so why not expand more, you could just make it a territory like the Phillipines whose independence you suppourted until you owned them and then genocided them.
>The US wanted to stay neutral until the Zimmerman telegram, that posed a threat to the US and to the American SOI.
>Neutral
What is every tribe sending money back home for the war effort and constant lobbying of the politicians. Sailing in restricted waters is also not very neutral, nor is carrying weapons on a passenger carrier
>You have a poor understanding of the subject I would encourage you to study it more a lot of what you said sounds like it came from the mouth of a frothing propaganda.
Sir, what qualifications do you actually have for History. I have an A* at GCSE, A at A-level, and while I don't do history at my university I do essays with my friend who is on a history course, and get mainly B's on them, as I have all the context but do not address the question fully. Then of course heap onto this all the books, textbooks, documentaries and debates I've attended I'd say I know my shit.
What about you mon frere?

Why do Americans love tipping so much?

They won the war single-handedly by saving the allies and they were led by African american troops who did most of the fighting using experimental prototype machine guns.

According to Sweden at least.

Isn't it more that the US leveled the field again, considering Germany got a massive manpower boost by the Russians leaving the war, only for it to be equalled by the US entering the war.

Because until the inter-war, Americans just copied Euiropean uniforms

1812 American uniform was a blue/black rip-off of the British one, Civil War era US uniform was a literal copy of the French one and WW1 US uniform was a rip-off of the British one again

It was common for ex-colonies on the American continent to do that
Shittons of Latin American countries copied French uniforms through the 19th century, and Chile is famous for having copied German uniforms a lot (both with pickelhaube and stahlhelm)

From what I've read, the British got their shit together much later than the other powers and wanted to launch a massive offensive to inflict the killing blow on the Germans.

Problem is, the French had understandably low morale since they were giving it 100% from the beginning. They did not want to launch another big offensive and lose thousands more troops so they said they were waiting for the Americans.

The British had no choice but to wait too as they couldn't launch the offensive on their own. Americans came in and then everyone pushed on together.

Basically, the French and the British could have finished it on their own but it would have resulted in a lot more deaths and probably a lot of mutinies against officers.

>Because your politicians are retarded, and don't have a Bismark to say 'Pre-emptive war is like shooting yourself to avoid being killed'. And only in 1905 or something did America reach its current size so why not expand more, you could just make it a territory like the Phillipines whose independence you suppourted until you owned them and then genocided them.
So you have no reason why the US would or should have followed that course of action.
>What is every tribe sending money back home for the war effort and constant lobbying of the politicians. Sailing in restricted waters is also not very neutral, nor is carrying weapons on a passenger carrier
What is trading with both sides equally? Or attempting to at the very least, the US did not have interest in a European war until it effected them directly.
>I have an A* at GCSE, A at A-level, and while I don't do history at my university I do essays with my friend who is on a history course, and get mainly B's on them
So you don't do history, but you write history essays for your friend and regularly get Bs, what is your point here? What is even the history course? History courses at that level normally cover specific periods, so what you are saying means nothing, try again I give you a D for effort.

>I don't think they called themselves Czechslovakia
they literally did

Why didn't Britain and France call upon their other allies to start contributing to the final push and call upon a powerful one like Japan to actually start being involved.

he's not entirely wrong, he just isnt exactly right either
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red
was one of a number of plans the american command drew up to cover potential future conflicts, it was not desired, nor expected to be activated at any point, but it was kept just in case

>"le Germans were outmatched anyway without the USA getting involved" meme

That is common among all nations of the time that were large powers you planned to fight everyone just incase Germany had plans to fight the Austrians and probably the ottomans, this does not indicate a desire for war it is a contingency incase of war.

Wasn't it because they could actually fire faster with shotguns than rifles and it was great for trench clearing?

>Because shotguns are designed to kill wild animals that threaten your livestock
They're designed to kill birds, you fucking idiot. They also are better at killing quickly compared to rifle wounds.

Eh probably had more to do with the fact that survival rate from shotgun wounds is extremely low, even with modern medicine. Getting shot with a shotgun is pretty much a guaranteed death because it's almost guaranteed to hit an artery and/or vital organ.

No idea but I can guess that maybe they didn't want to call another power in who could start demanding colonial territory.

Japan did it, they were super pissed that they didn't get enough share of the spoils after the first world war yet if you ask me, they got more than enough for their contribution.

Calling somebody else in is just another voice at the negotiation table. The leaders of Britain and France probably knew that America wouldn't make a land grab like the others.

>WE WUZ SUPREMZ SOLDIERZ N SHEIT
>WE SAVED YUROP LIKE ALWAYS;
DON''T MENTION THAT THE BRITS AND THE FROGS LOST FAR MORE SOLDIERS THAN US CAUSE IT DOESN'T COUNT AND DON'T MENTION THAT THEY HAD ALREADY WON AND THAT THE GERMANS HAD LOST THEIR MONUMENTUM WHEN WE ENTERED IT CAUSE WE'RE ARYAN SUBREMZ SOLDIERZ ANYWAY
'murica

Last minute substitute for Russia

Their military role was almost negligible. They were however, the bankrollers of the entente powers.

Soldiers of African origin fought on every side that had African colonies.
Definitely segregated in most armies though.

Czechoslovakia declared independence on its own, Americans had nothing to do with it.

>Czechoslovakia
>calling state that has already existed for five centuries when America was discovered and has history over a thousand years long "a meme state"

If anything, US is a meme state

>elite
>marines