Historical Artwork Thread!

Historical Artwork Thread. Post you beautiful paintings of great scenes and romanticism and battles and things that make the past look fabulous I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=anMJWy5pGDY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojciech_Kossak
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bloody good painting, you can almost hear the noise.

youtube.com/watch?v=anMJWy5pGDY

Got anything non european?

I've been staring at this image for like ten minutes now. There's so much humanity on display here. So many little narratives.

>guy just behind the captain, who will probably never be happier than in this moment
>older gentleman on the right, holding the flag aloft, with his own service medal on his breast and a look of absolute pride on his face
>that one guy, dead center, who's had the audacity to pull his pipe out while marching
>bugle boy getting what's probably his first kiss
>sergeant and his wife sharing a glowing reunion, their daughter's hand engulfed in his

>and then, almost forgotten on the borders of the painting, are the sadder stories
>at the right, a woman looks on with deep concern written on her face, perhaps scanning the faces of the victors for her husband, or her brother
>likewise, at left in the foreground, a tired old woman clutches her bouquet as if she already knows, deep down, and dreads the moment when the end of the column will march by and still she'll be left clutching that bouquet

of 212 who partook in this charge only around 48 lived to tell the tale at the end of it, a few more becoming casualties in the battle of gettysburg

This was the final successful cavalry charge employed by the british army, The Australian Light Cav charging and taking ottoman positions

Charge of Russian cavalry at Tennenberg, 1914

What are the other flags in the background?

Yup, it's part of my dekstop background slideshow. You can just get lost in this painting.

View of Dresden by Moonlight (1838)

I love this thread.

Beyond the obvious Danish flag there is one merchant flag of Norway (1844-1898) with the union badge representing the union with Sweden and one flag of Sweden (1844-1905) representing the union with Norway. The other ones are a little bit difficult to make out.

I don't know if you made the filename user, but those are lancers, not cossacks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojciech_Kossak

Kossak family was famous for their horse fetish

Pensacola siege in 1781

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojciech_Kossak
Welp, sorry user, never thought that Kossak would be the name of the painter.

And then they all died at Prussian hands

Anything by Ivan Konstantinovich Aivazovsky is amazing

Recommend me other artists that paints with the same style

Image is "Parade of the Black Sea Fleet"

Charge of Russian cavalry at Borodino, 1812

Battle of Copenhagen (1801)
No clue who the artist is.