I'm new here, so tell me, why are Spartans meme? Because of Peloponnesian War?

I'm new here, so tell me, why are Spartans meme? Because of Peloponnesian War?

Pic totally related.

It's because they were like an experiment. Being in Greece they are part of what many westerners consider the cornerstone of Western ideology, but they completely based their society around having enough slave labor that their whole male populace could focus entirely on war. That sort of directed, centralized-power initiative, especially with the eugenic bent of being warriors to breed the most effective warriors, is pretty uncommon and interesting. Toss in the cool stories like Thermopylae and the Peloponnesian War and it's not hard to see why warlike or war-respecting people would admire them.

They created a meme about themselves at the time called the Spartan Mirage, the idea that they didn't use currency, were full time soldiers and had lots of weird customs.

lmao the guys in the OP has a dress

Naked savages, why don't you Greek boy lovers ride horses and dress like real men, Keltoi men.

Because they're an incredibly unusually society that had enough contact with the outside world to be well known. They are literally an ancient meme.

Because there badass as fuck....

story goes that Alexander the Great's father sent a threat to Sparta that "if he entered the land, Sparta would be destroyed"

Sparta replied with one single world "if"

Everybody loves to see them as the ultimate badasses, because of battle like the thermophyles. But then they forget that they got rekt by the Thebans.

It's because they have the best bantz

this right here

Are you 13?

They got trashed by a bunch of Theban queers

They had a very peculiar state. Their society wasn't like that for the sake of memes but to keep the vast subjugated slave population in check.

It was basically "uh oh we conquered too many folks now we have to keep watch 24/7".

So you end up with this sort of paradoxical society which is highly militarized but really insular and not all that keen on fighting abroad for a long time or in large numbers because they're busy keeping the lid on the pot back home.

Kind of similar to North Korea in a way.

They weren't even good fighters though?
Like they lost most of their battles, they are literally only known from a movie. (which they literally lost a battle in)

Nah dude they were the best heavy infantry of their time. The athenians didnt want to meet them head on, HI to HI. Read a book. It was not about winning or losing. Try to look deeper bro

>Nah dude they were the best heavy infantry of their time.
Eh Theban Sacred Band and Phalangites would like to have a word with you

sorry should have specified what I meant. As in when most ancient battles were between heavy infantry and not with peltasts and such. Peloponnesian war and before they were the best at what they did.

This was the best comment I've ever posted on Veeky Forums
And I didn't even get a reply gawd dammit.

You must not post much

IT WAS A FUNNY JOKE, CONSIDERING !

How many times did the Spartans even face phalangites before Roman conquest of Greeks since they didn't fight Philip or Alexander?

ya know, just because you dont get a (you) doesnt mean people didn't see it

>Peloponnesian War
They lost the first part of the war though and only won the second part cause of a Persian prince and Spartan Admiral becoming best "no homosexual" friends so that he would supply him with new Tiremes to destroy the crucial Athenian Navy.

i know the feel man

Phillip of Macedon then went on to carry out his threat and conquered Sparta.

Philip and Alexander weren't Greeks, but MACEDONIANS

He's the Berserkers poster that is running low on (you)s.

Faced with such a catastrophy, he must migrate to greener pastures.

Why don't Celts learn how to defend against boats?

kys

Also helped by pants on head retarded Athenians politicians who pushed for the execution of their best commanders after the battle of Arginusae.

Would this be Saxon'd or Anglo'd?

Fuck off. Modern Macedonians are Slavic, ancient Macedonians were Hellenistic (Greek).

>The athenians didnt want to meet them head on
>what is battle of mantineae 418 b.c.

INGAEVONED.COM

Not him, but for starters, Mantinea was a coalition on both sides, IIRC, the Spartans were about a third of the Doric League's troops.

Secondly, the Delian League (Athens and Pals) got their asses kicked.

Remember when they backstabbed Alexander and tried to conquer Greece when he was out conquering Persia and got utterly beaten?