What are the best history podcasts?

What are the best history podcasts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DePj6clhloo
4chantv.wikia.com/wiki/Podcast_Recommendations#History
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hg54SCNIHrP7xaoDrw9xrFTekQZ_Eg6N175s8ywl1ng/edit#gid=290442889
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dan Carlins hardcore history is pretty good. Gets into a lot of detail, only downside is that there are only a few subjects he touches on.

I read an autisticly detailed post on reddit about how many mistakes he makes and how the redditor emailed him and he brushed it off and got defensive about it. I dont know how true that is, and I love Dan Carlin, but I'm scared that there might be some problems in it.

History On Fire is an amazing podcast, give it a try.

oh also try History of the Crusades its super long, like 400 parts or something.

that's a great podcast. she is pretty dry but my god does she ever go into incredible detail.

Dan constantly points out he isn't a historian just a history enthusiast and should be taken as such.

Dont listen to hardcore history for the exact facts, listen because dan takes his time to immerse yourself into the world he's describing and what it would be like to see/experience what he is describing

top comfy podcasts desu senpai

Obligatory History of Rome post.

Dan Carlin is fucking pleb baby shit. It's literally John Green but for teenage boys instead of teenage girls. Read an actual book you lazy fucks. Podcasts are supplementary material at best.

Can't read a book while driving, you idiot

>he doesnt listen to podcasts whilst driving
>he doesnt go on long walks listening to comfy history podcasts
>he doesn't listen to history podcasts whilst playing /gsg/

This. Some dude made/is making a History of China podcast based on History of Rome that's pretty good so far.
I started listening to The Lesser Bonapartes which is pretty fun.
In Our Time is fantastic
History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
The Hstory of the world in 100 Objects is a cool one put out by the British Museum

those are all acceptable uses of supplemental material

Martyrmade podcast on the israel palestine is really good albeit a Dan Carlin wannabe.

He puts in a lot of effort and still makes a good show so its worth a listen.

>he doesnt go on long walks listening to comfy history podcasts
>mfw I've started doing this recently
Can't get more comfy than walking through the quiet neighbourhoods and listening to podcasts on Chinese history

>he doesn't listen to history podcasts as he reads history books

I will give several
>History of Rome/Revolutions/Hardcore History all these are so common they should require no explanation. They are popular for a reason.
>The History of China /The History of Byzantium
These podcast are done in much the same vain as the History of Rome but are less popular
>Lesser Bonapartes
Comedy podcast. Don't come here looking for the most up to date or most accurate content. The older podcasts before Ivan joined are seriously funny though.
>The Fall of Rome Podcast
Superbly researched material from an actual hirstorian. He is able to recreate late Antiquity like no other podcast. I strongly recommend. This is the best you get without a book.
>Ottoman History Podcast
No coherent narrative just weekly experts talking about subjects vaguely related to the ottomans.
>the History of the Twentieth Century Podcast
A good overview of large amount of history limited in detail do toof the breadth of the topic
>The History of Ancient Greece
A decent podcast dealing primarily with up to the this pre golden age Greece. Somewhat amateurish but goes into non military or political developments so its gets bonus points.
>Wittenberg to Westphalia
Amatuer podcast dealing with early Medieval history primarily in Italy and the Holy Roman Empire. Aiming at some point to reach the restoration.
>When Diplomacy Fails
personal favorite. It deals with the politics surrounding the most famous wars in western history. Somewhat amateurish

youtu.be/DePj6clhloo
I tried going for a podcast style format on my YouTube videos, with various subjects dealing with the culture of Classical Antiquity. I feel that a majority of the big YouTube channels or Podcasts involved prefer to talk about strictly military events or create narratives about history, both of which I enjoy, but I wanted to do something slightly different. Not to mention, I was aiming for comfy.
It's a work in progress still, but I'm sounding like an aspie less each time. Any tips would be of great help.

In terms of far better podcasts/series than mine that I enjoy:
>Last Podcast on the Left
>Hardcore History
>History of Rome
>Ancient Warfare Magazine Podcast
>Fall of Rome
>History of Byzantium

You Must Remember This is an amazing podcast about Hollywood's golden age. It's well researched and professionally done. I really dig it. There's a 12 or so episode arc about the Manson murders and everything surrounding it.

No tips but if you ever want help with research I would be more than willing. I honestly don't want to bother going through the work making a channel like this but I wouldn't mind helping one out. Also don't expect great success only do something like this because you enjoy it.

I appreciate the gesture, though I'm mainly keeping this a small operation that I do in my sporadic free time, and I hate making arrangements I cannot keep.

I am doing this more as a passion project and the chance to improve my public speaking and researching skills. Plus it's just straight up fun.

>I love Dan Carlin, but I'm scared that there might be some problems in it.
He tends to use sources that are pretty antiquated. He relies very heavily on histories that are almost 100 years old, specifically stuff by Will and Ariel Durant.

He's a good gateway drug and provides a nice narrative, but use textbooks and shit to look further info up.

Chapo Trap House isn't a history podcast but the solo paid podcast that Matt Christman did on August Willich was pretty interesting.

4chantv.wikia.com/wiki/Podcast_Recommendations#History

How enjoyable is this?

Quite

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hg54SCNIHrP7xaoDrw9xrFTekQZ_Eg6N175s8ywl1ng/edit#gid=290442889

Crimetown is about to start a new season this week I think. The last season they did was on Buddy Cianci, mayor of Providence, RI, one of the biggest mafia towns.

In Our Time is a BBC radio show about historical figures and events, from the Epic of Gilgamesh to the gin craze in Victorian England. Comfy as fuck. The presenters are hit or miss sometimes because they're just random academics.

I've seen some people post History of Rome, but no one has mentioned his current project, Revolutions. He's currently wrapping up the Latin American revolutions right now.

I'm gonna go out there and say torrent the lectures from "The Teaching Company". University level courses designed for on-the-go listening, and there's tons of options. Super expensive otherwise though. I got a free one using the Amazon Audible exploit. I've listened to about 4-5 of them so far.