Questions about visiting an Orthodox Church

So I was raised in a baptist household in the south. I've never liked it there and I believe it gave me a lot of issues that I have with organized religion to this day. As I've matured I've started doing some searching in my life. My parents always were bothered by the fact that I was never baptized.

In my college town I've been looking around for a church to checkout some upcoming Sunday. I've done some reading on the Greek Orthodox church, and I like what they are about. The manner in which they interpret the bible along with their strong dedication to tradition. I've read a lot about what the church means and it's beliefs, but I'm fuzzy on their actual worship. Here is what I want to know

> Are there any rites or practices I need to be aware of when visiting a service?

> Will everything during the service be straightforward to me or will it be hidden amidst ritual?

> Will I get anything out of this?

If you go to them Christ will profit you nothing

>lel the church is LITERALLY the body of Christ... also the bread is too, the church and bread are like the trinity you see? Separate but the same!!
It's cancer

Man this is the funniest shit.

Weak minded /pol/ tards.

OP here. What do you mean?

You're not going to find belonging anywhere. Stop being influenced by retards on this site.

I spend most my time on Veeky Forums, no one on Veeky Forums has influenced me into this. I was thinking of checking it out so I thought I'd ask since I don't personally know any members of the church.

>You're not going to find belonging anywhere.

Yeah, you fit the classic loner archetype that is prevalent on Veeky Forums. Distancing yourself from the norm all your life. Now that the norm is non-religious you're trying to find some way to distance yourself from that. You can't be Catholic because that's too mainstream and now you've seen people on here talking about Orthodox and Byzantine and you've been influenced, however subconsciously, towards the Orthodox church.

I've seen other people on here doing the same thing as you many times. I thought about it too. You're just lying to yourself though.

If you really want to go though, just go. Orthodox churches aren't very respective of outsiders though unless they're pretty liberal in which case you're not going to like it regardless.

Why does /pol/ like the orthodox church?

It's not Catholic, It's not Protestant, It's not Atheist, it's anti-Muslim, it's not very popular in the US.

/pol/ has become more pro Russia recently. They also feel like there is a Muslim invasion going on and that the ERE was a martyr against Islam. A shining golden city in a heroic last stand.

A somewhat similar thing happens with all these homegrown or 2nd generation middle eastern young adults in Europe. Isolation and desperation.

I do really want to go. And I'm not really opposed to being catholic although my mother who is very religious (baptist) would hate that. She said she didn't have a problem with the Greek Orthodox church.

But mainly what my question was getting at is can I walk in, find a seat, and attend the service? Will I have to partake in some sort of weekly ceremony that I wouldn't already have learned from my baptist background? I appreciate your candor.

As if this weren't enough evidence Veeky Forums Christcucks are just LARPing faggots.

Also, not Veeky Forums.

I lived in a orthodox village all my life and always went to church.
1.The church itself is very small,i mean very small.
2.Do not ever cross in the front of the altar beacouse you will be kicked out,you have to go around it.
3. Every time the priest says the word god you have to make a cross.
4.You have to kiss the paintings of saints.
5.You will be given wine and bread at the end
Thats all user.

Catholic here. Don't know much about orthodoxy but if you have any questions instead of just popping in one day during mass send the priest or church an email asking them your question. Let them know the date your coming in so they can expect you.

I'm catholic, and last year when the pope was talking about bridging the gap between catholocism and orthodox I decided to try to do it a little myself by going to mass at a local orthodox church. The weirdest thing to me is that when you take confession its not in private or anything you walk around the church with the priest and talk to him about it.

Because it has a focus on tradition but no pope.

The only reason why /pol/ doesn't like the pope is because he teaches to welcome Muslim immigrants rather than leading a crusade against them

best advice i could give you:
Read on the general outline of a liturgy.
Pay attention to what's happening.
When in doubt, do what everyone else is doing around you.

How is this a Veeky Forums thread?

This belongs on /pol/, or maybe /b/ or /r9k/, but not here. No history or philosophy is being discussed: it's literally just a reactionary circle-jerk.

Fucking mods, do your jobs.

>Simply practicing religion is reactionary

It is, and especially here on Veeky Forums.

Religionfags who aren't reactionaries don't go shopping around for churches to go to because "they're more traditional" according to alt-right edgelords.

/pol/ seems to imagine orthodoxy as some kind of black metal version of christianity that would be okay with their hatred and racism

this.
Eastern europe is an ethnic clusterfuck that mostly doesn't care who you are, as long as you don't want to take their country's land.
Besides, everone knows we are more into punk.