What are some Veeky Forums approved movies?

What are some Veeky Forums approved movies?

>Arn?
>Kingdom of heaven?
>Saving Private ryan?
>The Gladiator?
>
>
>
>
>

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YpZsPzBPlEw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Kingdom of Heaven
I hate the shit out of this one, it's literally two hours of >muh evil Christians with retarded one-dimensional characters.

You can see instantly how it was produced during the Bush era and the Iraq war, and how the director thought how he was making some kind of "deep" statement by condemning whitey.

She must be one of the most beautiful girls on this planet

Russian ark is pretty Veeky Forumscore

So can you recommend me something that isn't biased towards Christians? Year of release obviously doesn't matter.

Yes, it's almost painful

Dont we already have a thread about that?

>I hate the shit out of this one, it's literally two hours of >muh evil Christians with retarded one-dimensional characters.

I see this criticism and I don't get it at all. The protagonist is a christian who acts positively because of his christian values, espoused to him by a christian father with that hospitallier guy who espouses christian, humanist values.

There are two greedy, 'evil' christian leaders and there's one muslim character portrayed negatively. Considering that the christians get more screentime overall, how is this portrayal in any way imbalanced?

I've heard of this before but only in some youtube video raking the best single takes. It looks kind of interesting will check it out.

Oops, my bad... Guess I'll just join that thread instead.

Bondarchuk

Waterloo

>t by condemning whitey.
Lets pretend that the major character is not a motherfucking FRENCH BLACKSMITH.

The Seventh Seal isn't really historical as in "historically accurate" but it's a really great trippy movie with a historical setting.

Should've been a bit clearer, I meant "whitey" as a general synonym for western civilization and not really white people specifically.

Sure, it's obviously a fantastic movie but I guess I'm looking for movies that depict big historical events. Should probably have written that in the OP

>I see this criticism
It's one and the same guy that keeps spamming this over and over. He's really butthurt, but not representative.

Its a movie full of plain characters. As most Riddley Scots "big" films. He should stoop trying to do that.
But agaisnt Western Civilization? Did you forgot about how the film ends? With a Glorious Richar coeur-de-lion led Crusade of course!

End of Evangelion

Deluge
With fire and Sword

The "God wills it" scene really rustles my feathers.

where is this from?

My favorite ones that, while not always 100% accurate, nail the feel perfectly:
>Passion of Joan of Arc
One of the most beautiful silent movies
>Seventh Seal
Knight returning from the crusades dealing with mortality and his loss of faith, plus he plays chess with Death. Good stuff, the procession of the flagellants is haunting.
>Battle of Algiers
War is messy, urban guerilla warfare doubly so.
>Master and Commander
I just really like this one.

youtu.be/YpZsPzBPlEw
Part of the procession

Somewhat unrelated but does anyone have that Veeky Forums reading list image?

OP here
I'm interested in this too

Gallipoli

And why would anyone be willing to discuss one of the dullest movie in the history of Ridley Scott? Seriously each scene following the boy knight and his pal from Hospitalier Order as they fight assorted Templars has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the movie’s only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make crusade heretic, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Scott vetoed the idea of Mel Gibson playing the main character; he made sure the movie would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just midly profitable promotion for his Gladiator. Kingdom of Heaven might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Hacksaw Ridge in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the extended edition was good though
"No!"
The acting is dreadful; the script was terrible. As I watched, I noticed that every time a character went for a muslim prayer, the director filmed instead the character saying "What is Jerusalem worth?"

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Scott's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of directing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Kingdom of Heaven by J.J. Abrams. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these men are watching J.J. Abrams at 21 or 22, then when they get older they will go on to watch J.J. Abrams." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you watch "Kingdom of Heaven" you are, in fact, trained to watch J.J. Abrams.

i wanna see this too

>all to make crusade heretic, to make action seem inert.
I think you're reading into this a bit too hard, if you think that they purposefully made a hundreds of millions of dollars movie bad just to spite Christfags, m8.

Zulu

Waterloo

Paths of Glory

Saving Private Ryan

With Fire and Sword

how's my taste in history movies, guys?

>gladiator

It's one of my favorite movies but I think it'd be laughable to call it Veeky Forums approved, at least if that's a byword for "a good history movie".

Gladiator is entertaining but it goes completely off the rails historically.

Lawrence of Arabia

i never understood the movie story
>marcus aurelius says government is decadent and corrupt, so he wishes to revert to republic where exactly the same people would rule

> The War Lord
A bit old, from 1965, but I watched it for the first time a week ago and had a blast. Not sure how historically correct it is, but it certainly has a feel of authenticity to it.

Loved a bit where an arrow hits and open door and when they close it the shaft gets stuck in the door frame and breaks. Such a small, accidental detail but it really sells the action. Such a shame it's all cgi nowadays instead of real props and effects.

Also, if you just want a pseudo-historical/fantastical romp with plenty of sex and violence there's
>Flesh and Blood

Also, as another user suggested
>Master and Commander
I don't even give a shit about life aboard a ship, but that was a heck of an engrossing movie

honestly richard the lion heart speaking with an english accent is one of the only things about that movie that triggers me

What does Veeky Forums think of The Profession of Arms? I loved it.

>An english accent bothers him
>In a movie were Frenchmen, Italians, Spaniards and even fucking Saracens talk english.

Top taste

Anyone else notice that the girl in OP, is like Rhonda Lloyd incarnate from Hey Arnold.

She's supposed to be asian, right?

Yo check Baraka. Drop acid if possible.

the guy literally fucking said it in his post and it's also right in the filename

how much of a mongoloid can you be christ

Downfall

stop posting eliza you loser

Zulu tbqhwyf.

The Wind that Shakes the Barley

I'm really not sure. You see her converse with her parents on various episodes and both of them have darker features,possibly Asian. However they both seem more white and posh, kind of British-like in their manner imo. Her parents might both be half-casts if anything, but really there's nothing on any episodes to indicate that they are Asian.

Just something i also want to add.

Consider Phoebe, the actual "Asian" character on the show. Now based on this image you can assume she actually is half-cast. Note the way her and her father are drawn, with their noses turned up ad with wider faces - typical Asian features. This feature is not present in in Rhonda or either of her parents, since she's drawn with the typical white nose and a more conventional round head. It's actually really puzzling.

The passion of Joan of Arc is true Veeky Forums Kino. No other film can surpass its accuracy when it is based on the actual record of her trial.

Who is this semen demon and what is the story behind her his?

Christcucks sperging out over anything that isn't Kirk Cameron tier.

Still a shit movie though.

>Master and Commander
Truly great and historically accurate.
Little child sailors and all.
As another anons recommended, this one is great.

>Operation Valkyrie
Great movie, surprisingly good on historical accuracy, Tom Cruise actually did a great job

>The Book Thief
Based on a true story, a nice piece of history of WW2 suffering seen from the perspective of German civilians. True story, many feels, brings you back to reality to remind you the Nazis were scum.

>The Fall
Supposedly accurate, though the only reliable witnesses of Hitler's last days were all part of his closest Nazi entourage. Great acting.

>Mongol
About the life and death of Genghis Khan. Good on accuracy. Mongolian movie filmed in Mongolia with Mongol actors, so props for authenticity.

>The Lives of Others
Shows how the Stasi in East Germany operated and how life was back there, good to remind people that Communists were also scum.

>Africa Addio
Brutal documentary on the de-colonization of Africa and its disastrous consequences from the way the colonial masters just packed overnight leaving communist thugs "voted" by the people. One man, one vote, one time only.
May traumatize you, there is real life footage of an actual ethnic cleansing of a village in Zanzibar seen from a helicopter, black soldiers gunning down entire Arab families. I couldn't sleep afterwards.

STOP POSTING HEERRRR

angrypepe.jpg

Wait a minute ...

>what is white guilt?

The biggest problem is that Balian of Ibelin, the protagonist, was an actual person with a life that utterly doesn't match up. They didn't take liberties with his history, they literally just took the name of the man who negotiated the surrender of Jerusalem and did whatever the hell they wanted from there.

Putting the real Balian aside, the protagonist is a usual Hollywood historical protagonist with 21st century values and ideals that won't confuse casual audiences. Thus Balian is all about freedom, tolerance, and peace, while he is arguably atheist in religious belief. Other than measured tolerance, these just weren't the practices of the times.

The Christians have a sprinkling of "good guys" but have the lion's share of the arrogant jingoistic jerkasses. Meanwhile, the Muslims are generally portrayed as peaceful people reacting to outrageous Christian behavior.

And that "Who really deserves Jerusalem?" speech would have gotten him excommunicated and ostracized at best, if he wasn't killed by the crowd during or murdered by fanatics shortly after.

Not a movie but still film; Hornblower. As I remember (having watched it in my childhood), that shit was mad as fuck.

>What are some Veeky Forums approved movies?

muh Limoges

>The Christians have a sprinkling of "good guys" but have the lion's share of the arrogant jingoistic jerkasses. Meanwhile, the Muslims are generally portrayed as peaceful people reacting to outrageous Christian behavior.

I often see this argument but the 5 Muslim characters in the film, 3 are assholes, it's only Saladin and his general who are sympathetic characters, Saladin's son is pretty clearly bigoted and warlike, the merchant character that Reynald kills is made out to be a greedy atheist and the servant who Balian kills is obviously aggressive and intolerant

on the christian side you have balian, liam neeson, the hospitaller, baldwin, balian's men-at-arms, jeremy irons, eva green, etc, who are all good guys.

kingdom of heaven is much more balanced than people give it credit for though as you say the most ostentatious assholes are all on the christian side but that's because they're the antagonists of the story anyway

Nothing else comes close.

Saladin is the real hero of the movie.

Not touching that KoH debate. Gladiator and SPR are fairly accurate in terms of how they portray their respective cultures/time periods, but the actual stories/characters are fictional.

Other Veeky Forums movies that are awesome:
>Glory
>Lincoln
>Enemy at the Gates
>Bridge of Spies
>The Fog of War
One of the best damned documentaries you'll ever see
>The Ghost and the Darkness
>The Prince of Egypt
>The Ten Commandments
>Zulu
>We Were Soldiers
>Amadeus
>Waterloo
>Lawrence of Arabia
>Apollo 13
>Dances with Wolves
>Patton
>Arabian Nights
The Hallmark version. Might technically fall under Veeky Forums, but I would argue it has a place in Veeky Forums as well.

It may not be a movie, but the Vikings show is pretty good as well.

why

>Mongol
I see people recommend this movie all the time and I can't see why. Is it just because of the subject matter?

Historically wise it's shit. It tries so damn hard to portray Temudjin as a victim who only wants what is best for his people instead of the bloodthirsty sadistic tyrant that he was. Read the fucking Secret History of the Mongols, even in a book that tried to paint him as the good guy you read stuff like him joining up with his younger brother to kill their older brother - when they were still fucking children. Of course the movie completely ignores this shit. The same way that it completely ignores the thousands and thousands of women he raped, instead presenting us with a cute love story between him and his wife chosen by destiny. The few historically correct scenes in the movie are him rescuing his wife from an enemy tribe and he himself being captured a shit ton of times, which of course is just used to fuel his "rightful vengeance" in his "character arc". The only thing that's even remotely accurate about his personality is almost at the end where he condemns two enemy soldiers who defected to his side after killing their previous chief, because, according to the strict law of Temudjin, "no one should betray their Khan", It's telling that, up until this point he was such a nice guy by movie standards that this scene actually feels out of character, when it's the most accurate one in the whole thing.

As a movie it's pretty shitty too. Sure, the actors are serviceable and the wardrobe and props look legit, but the story is slow and bogged down by Temudjin's constant kidnappings, and the few action scenes are typical "medieval war movie" fare. Also there's only two large battle scenes, one that's more of a skirmish where they fight on foot, and finally a big full on battle between mounted soldiers armed with spears on one side and badass fantasy curved swords on the other. Too bad they seemed to forgot about mounted archers.

Watch it in Director's Cut

>what is asia west of china
>why doesn't everyone from the biggest continent on earth look the same

Kagemusha if you don't mind subtitles.

She's the most powerful race...

What is it with americans and not being able to needing to watch dubs?

Dubs are for fags.
Subs are better.

I fucked that up completely.
Meant to say
>What is it with americans and NEEDING to watch dubs?

i want to kill myself now

Patton
The Longest Day
A Bridge to Far

this is pure Veeky Forumskino, gets literally nothing wrong

Btw there are two versions of All Quiet on the Western Front. One from 1930, and a TV movie from the 70s. I've only watched the latter.

the 70's movie is the superior one honestly

Yeah my friend who sent me that list said he prefers the old one but I'm a pleb and I think black and white films are crap

the 30's one everyone has an extreme American accent which takes you right out of it I think