Historical fashion

Can we have a thread about historical fashion? Am I the only one finding contemporary fashion disgusting and tasteless?
Do you think the controversies around corsets during the late 19th century can be related to today debates about women thinness?

>Am I the only one finding contemporary fashion disgusting and tasteless?
No.

>never get to wear these crazy18th century head pieces

why live

>ywn be a qt rich English girl prancing around your family estate in a crinoline and doing cute things

why even live

>wear dresses to look like massive Brazilian bundas

Friendly reminder the eternal Anglo is the original degenerate.

>Implying the crinoline didn't originate in France
>Implying it wasn't the most Veeky Forums thing in history

How could they sit in these things?
Or fit through doors?
Or go to the toilet?

>How could they sit in these things?
The cage that held the skirt up was very flexible.
>Or fit through doors?
Again, same thing.
>Or go to the toilet?
The undergarments they wore had a seam in the crotch area where waste could be expelled into a chamber pot or toilet (In the case of the latter this generally involved lifting the skirt up and resting the hem somewhere behind the wearer.)

The thing is, it was indeed quite unpractical, and working or poor women didn't wear crinolines

Does Veeky Forums talks about historical fashion too? From what i've seen it's basically underage teens paying 100 $$$ for a plain tshirt

>and working or poor women didn't wear crinolines
This is untrue, I've seen the crinoline described as the first industrial fashion as pretty much all women wore it. In fact many factories had to specifically request that the women who worked in them not wear crinolines as they were a huge safety hazard near machinery even by the standards of the time.

any good resources on fashion from the late 1800s to early 1900s from various countries?

I think it can be loosely related, but obesity was never really a social problem as it is now until the industrial revolution begat corn,corn everywhere.
The Victorian fetishization of tuberculosis is probably a more interesting subject, but that too can be mostly chalked up to out-of-control literary romanticism about Byronic love affairs and all that.

What really interests me is the huge skirt thing.
Were they actually made to increase the visual impression of a woman's posterior? If that was the case you'd think something more practical would be created, like a pad or a cushion. Was it more a case of "I'm going to buy the most impractical thing to showcase my wealth, because I'm loaded"?

Since even expensive fabrics are now frivolously economic thanks to increased industry, is the modern fashion more determined by explicit ownership of goods and a pricey cosmopolitan lifestyle? Or is it influenced more by brand-recognition? Maybe even physical augmentations?
I know the Kardashians are very stylistically influential, but the sisters are basically glorified whores and the trend of having a gigantic, expensive posterior seems like it would be an ephemeral one. Even if the advent of superior tights/leggings have made the buttocks more chic overall.

>If that was the case you'd think something more practical would be created, like a pad or a cushion.
You're literally describing the 'cul de Paris' which became popular around the late 19th century

Fuck, all the padding in the world can't fix that man-jaw.

And that's the cruel stinger of fashion, isn't it? Dress however you like, it doesn't matter. If you're pretty, you're pretty, and if you're ugly, you're ugly.

Huh. I had absolutely no idea that existed.

Worst thing was make up was not tolerated on non-prostitutes women in the 19th century. No cheating possible!

>implying i'm not wearing lolita right now

Check out Lolita, it's a fashion subculture originating in Japan that's based on Victorian and Rococo clothing. Particularly the Classic style.

You would've found Victorian era fashion disgusting and tasteless if you lived in the time and had to deal with putting on victorian-era fashion.

Just imagine cunts like that every single day blocking your way into the bank or the local general store with their stupid fucking oversized dresses and their wheezing from the crinoline/tournure and corset. There's a reason they all ditched that shit by the 1900's. Having to deal with masses of women dressed up like peacocks must've been HELL for a train conductor or a department store manager.

ya got me

>Just imagine cunts like that every single day blocking your way into the bank or the local general store with their stupid fucking oversized dresses and their wheezing from the crinoline/tournure and corset. There's a reason they all ditched that shit by the 1900's. Having to deal with masses of women dressed up like peacocks must've been HELL for a train conductor or a department store manager.

lmao

they only wore that for portraits or very specific events

Plebian outfits ITT. Minoan women knew how to do real fashion.

>their wheezing from the crinoline/tournure and corset
This only happened with the corset if women tightlaced, which was incredibly rare and even then how much it actually affected the respiratory system is still under debate.

As for the crinoline, you would actually be cooler than you would be with your typical modern fashion due to the air having more room to circulate.