Spirituality Thread

Is some form of spirituality, religion or otherwise, necessary for humans? The current moral decay of the west seems to be a result of overdosing on materialism and having a population who never bother with introspection.

Yes, people always want the feeling of being a part of something greater. If it isn't god, it's the cosmos.

>necessary for humans?
What is humanity's goal? What could spiritualism be necessary for?

Sorry to sound pretentious but that sounds like spiritualism to famalam.

>What is humanity's goal? What could spiritualism be necessary for?
The will to keep on existing. As noted in another thread the objective truth of the universe is nihilism. If nothing we ever do matters then why bother? A sense that we are achieving something and part of something greater is necessary to avoid the philosophical ramifications of a purely objectivist view of the cosmos.

>As noted in another thread the objective truth of the universe is nihilism.
If this is the case why bother with spiritualism. Doesn't that just makes us clocks eternally ticking forward until we die.

>implying true spirituality isn't the recognition and overcoming of nihilism

What does that even mean.

>Is some form of spirituality, religion or otherwise, necessary for humans?
Not really, I'm doing okay.

In order to answer this it would first be necessary to define what spirituality means exactly. Does it neccisarily tie into religion/ religious ideas such as gods, spirits, etc or does it include the simple feeling of amazement or wonder at something? Personally I feel like this word used outside of religion is often used to refer to the latter by atheists who don't want to use the word atheists or want disassociate themselves from the nihlism that people think is an inherent quality of being an atheist.

Only in the absence of God can God be found. Or rather, true spirituality, true faith, is precisely the striving towards God even after accepting nihilism.

I feel like comments like this are deserving of an equivalent of the *tips* meme

if you're striving you haven't accepted nihilism

>you're not a weak-willed pussy like me who takes the meaninglessness of reality lying down

no, I stand up and take what is mine

Remove all spooks and you life in the atheist version of albanian clanland. Im a spooksummoner, they make life better.

stirner didn't call for the elimination of all spooks, just recognition of what they are

>The current moral decay of the west...

What the fuck are you talking about?

"Decay" implies there exists an objective standard or goal. Of course, this doesn't exist.

Get the fuck back to your containment board, reactionary edgelord.

I don't think you understand nihilism

Oh yeah everything is just fine

This, it's about intellectual honesty.

> As noted in another thread the objective truth of the universe is nihilism.

What the FUCK? The only thing you can prove is that some 'being' which you feel yourself to be exists. Everything else is an act of faith; a faith in the senses, a faith in authority, a faith in your feelings. Ultimately we know literally nothing about the origins of existence and ourselves.

Nihilism is just one leap of faith we can take. And a fucking stupid one at that, you're a feeling being who innately sees value in existence, and yet you let math equations about hypothetical material reality take precedence over that. WHAT A FOOLISH THING TO DO! Your psyche, to borrow a greek word, the cogito, is all there is, WHY WOULD YOU EVER USE YOUR BLANK SLATE OF FAITH TO ELEVATE NIHILISM? WHY??? HOW FUCKING- WHAT KIND OF EDGELORD FAGGOT PROCLAIMS THAT AN UNJUSTIFIED BELIEF IN MATERIALISM AND NIHILISM IS ULTIMATE TRUTH??

Yeah man is inherently 'spiritual,' no man can live life without metaphysical assumptions. The tragedy is that he takes those assumptions too seriously, but on the flip side the greatest goods occur when he takes those assumptions too seriously. Nihilism is the tragedy.

>WHAT KIND OF EDGELORD FAGGOT PROCLAIMS THAT AN UNJUSTIFIED BELIEF IN MATERIALISM AND NIHILISM IS ULTIMATE TRUTH??
The kind that realizes that there is absolutely no evidence for any other conclusion. Lack of evidence for all other alternatives leaves nihilism as the inescapable conclusion to logical thought

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Nihilism is the positive assertion that there is no meaning, positive assertions require proof, Nihilism has none. The furthest you can go is Absurdism.

can I say I'm meaning-agnostic? would that make you happy?

Your spirit is a very real part of you, and something that existed before any religion extant today did. It doesn't matter how you exercise it, just don't accept that it's not there. Nihilism can, and should, be fought, and it can only be fought via the spirit.

If you meant it, it would certainly be a start. Unfortunately you're using it in the same way Dawkins would when told he can't prove there is no God. He puts on his smarmy smile, smiles into the camera and says
>'okay, well I'm and ninety-nine point nine nine nine percent sure there is no God." And cut. Perfect.

This is why the Nihilistic Atheist is such a slippery fish, he believes wholeheartedly in his nihilistic faith, but he uses linguistic bullshittery to pretend he isn't a dogmatist. He agrees that he cannot know, while feeling absolute faith that he does. At least the religious admit their faith, and don't back into wordplay. To be fair it isn't out of goodness, its because faith is the entire point.

So yeah, man, say you're an agnostic, whatever. I hope one day you may actually have faith in agnosticism, and eventually cultivate that into positive spirituality, but I can only lead you to water. You have to drink it.

What exactly am I supposed to find wrong in the pic you posted?

It doesn't look particularly outlandish: I've seen worse on Mardi Gras and at college parties.

>I'm a fucking degenerate: the post

"eww icky" is not an argument

You'd be ok with those people hanging around your children? "Eww icky" isn't an argument, but neither is "I enjoy dressing like a a freakshow and sticking my dick in another mans ass so society should allow me to do that without judging me"

Spirituality is what is CAUSING that decay. Everybody believes they have their own little world and that everything is for themselves. Somebody who believes in materialism wouldn't fall into the delusion of a personal agent.

Okay? Whatever you say, /pol/-tard.
Now that you outed yourself as a reactionary twat, your validity's gone down the drain.

>degeneracy

In other words, "anything I don't personally like and which others shouldn't like either!". Grow up.

>I enjoy dressing like a a freakshow

It's a parade one time a year. People have been "dressing up like freakshows" for thousands of years, and continue to do so at events such as Halloween and annual parades/parties. Haven't you ever read of peasant fall/harvest fairs (i.e. parties) in the Medieval era? They were denounced as "orgiastic" by clergy, so clearly this is not a modern phenomena.

>and sticking my dick in another mans ass so society should allow me to do that without judging me"

What's wrong with that, again? I know you're a Christcuck, but - at least in the U.S. - we're a secular society.

>positive spirituality about not being sure
what did you possibly mean by this?
Also why do you dogmatically think you need to be exactly 50% sure about the existence/non-existence of god and of external meaning in life?

>You'd be ok with those people hanging around your children?
Assuming they weren't buttfucking or smoking meth, they're fine. Gays can have honor, integrity, and dignity.

"The only thing that's capital-T True is that you get to decide how you're going to try to see it. You get to consciously decide what has meaning and what doesn't. You get to decide what to worship... Because here's something else that's true. In the day-to-day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And an outstanding reason for choosing some sort of God or spiritual-type thing to worship — be it J.C. or Allah, be it Yahweh or the Wiccan mother-goddess or the Four Noble Truths or some infrangible set of ethical principles — is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive. If you worship money and things — if they are where you tap real meaning in life — then you will never have enough. Never feel you have enough. It's the truth."

(1/3)

"Worship your own body and beauty and sexual allure and you will always feel ugly, and when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths before they finally plant you. On one level, we all know this stuff already — it's been codified as myths, proverbs, clichés, bromides, epigrams, parables: the skeleton of every great story. The trick is keeping the truth up-front in daily consciousness. Worship power — you will feel weak and afraid, and you will need ever more power over others to keep the fear at bay. Worship your intellect, being seen as smart — you will end up feeling stupid, a fraud, always on the verge of being found out. And so on. Look, the insidious thing about these forms of worship is not that they're evil or sinful; it is that they are unconscious. They are default-settings. They're the kind of worship you just gradually slip into, day after day, getting more and more selective about what you see and how you measure value without ever being fully aware that that's what you're doing. And the world will not discourage you from operating on your default-settings, because the world of men and money and power hums along quite nicely on the fuel of fear and contempt and frustration and craving and the worship of self."

(2/3)

"Our own present culture has harnessed these forces in ways that have yielded extraordinary wealth and comfort and personal freedom. The freedom to be lords of our own tiny skull-sized kingdoms, alone at the center of all creation. This kind of freedom has much to recommend it. But of course there are all different kinds of freedom, and the kind that is most precious you will not hear much talked about in the great outside world of winning and achieving and displaying. The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day. That is real freedom. The alternative is unconsciousness, the default-setting, the “rat race” — the constant gnawing sense of having had and lost some infinite thing."

-DFW (This is Water)

(3/3)

>degenerate
there's that word again, if you want this argument to have any merit you're going to have to define what degeneracy is and why its bad

Hopefully some of you can look past the DFW memes and see that, agree or not, this is some pretty nice insight.

>The current moral decay of the west seems to be a result of overdosing on materialism and having a population who never bother with introspection.
In my experience most sjws are Christian or at the very least prone to magical thinking.

Stop memeing christfag.

Nihilism is illogical as it implies there is a point for anything, think for second user what the actual fuck is the point of the universe existing besides IT JUST DOES?

Humans are goal motivated creatures we cant function without having some point to our existence which is religiousfags have mental breakdowns everytime you try to debunk their claims.

Every night, every day,
i prei to Rei

I think he understands it fine, nihilism in essence is destructive. I think most people who call themselves nihilist aren't even existentialist. Have you ever read Camus?

Thanks user, I enjoyed that. Very eloquently said

Allow me:
Adam is created from dust, he mutates losing a rib and Eve emerges, their food (forbidden fruit) makes their brain evolve (knowledge of good and evil), at this time snakes lose the genetic info for legs (check the fossil record), then Cain is expelled and finds other humans.
Literally a wealth of scientific info was before our eyes for thousands of years.

>The current moral decay of the west

[Citation needed]

Right. Just modified by an incorrect theory developed 1700 years after Christ, one of the last prophets, came and performed miracles which you don't believe in.

Allow me again:
I was in my backyard attending a phone call when I felt it, it was as if God touched my spirit, my mind expanded, my body felt very light and agile, there was certainly a divine pressence, that same night I dreamt that heaven was a gift for me with nothing asked in return, and that my enemies would burn.
Later I observed that an invisible force made sure I had only a basic belief in the biblical God alone discarding jesus because scripture had been changed, I found out by asking questions and opening the bible at random pages, this yielded as a result many of the passages which warn about changed doctrines and names of God.
I'm a mystic, user.

Yes, and some user has explained it far better than I can

I think limiting this to religion is unnecessary; much of human history can be interpreted as attempts at apotheosis, or a shadow of it. Religion however buys social cohesion and smooth transition of ideas that work from one generation and society to the next, while at the same time not needing tons of factual knowledge to convince people why they should listen to the ideology.

Linking organized religion with moral/spiritual human needs is parallel to the point, and only dooms us- with scientific evidence's full acceptance as an arbiter of truth, it's hard for religion to answer questions as compared to the bulk of human history.

Aside from this, the one weak point in this image is the mysticism associated with "meta-truth"; he's just describing society/social behavior being expressed through familiarity with an important shared social tradition, so there's nothing especially unique about religion in that aspect beyond its ability to defy reality without having to try too hard.

To answer the OP's question, I think spirituality is a much more interesting concept since it eschews the social reasoning for establishing religion and being a more introspective approach to what you might call religion. I would say that history makes a pretty tough point to argue against that some form of spirituality is EXTREMELY comfortable to humans if not being outright needed.

>Two men are shirtless with a rainbow flag.
>Oh, the horror
>Surely we're worse off today than 19th century children working in coal mines because I deliberately seek out these images on the internet which disgust me

Child labor in coal mines and marching faggits aren't a tradeoff. You can neither.

Mysticism is end game and the only way to the cessation of suffering.

Humans cant come from dust you idiot. Dust is not even carbon.

>man has always been religious
>asks this anyways
What an idiot.