Hollywood keeps making movies about the same shit, its all WWII, Holocaust, Rome, Cold War etc

Hollywood keeps making movies about the same shit, its all WWII, Holocaust, Rome, Cold War etc.

What are some cool events that you think would make for a great movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplicius_Simplicissimus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiel_de_Ruyter_(film)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Interesting_Narrative_of_the_Life_of_Olaudah_Equiano
youtube.com/watch?v=Vh1kuxrD0Vw
imdb.com/title/tt1410063/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_11
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Robespierre. Seriously, why the fuck doesn't anyone make a movie about his rise and fall?

The wars of the diadochi, more specifically the battle of ipsus and the events surrounding it

HBO series following ice age hunter gatherers. I feel it had amazing potential.

The Thirty Years War would make a great series, I don't know why don't they ever use it.
As for movies, there is Alatriste, The Last Valley, and that's pretty much all.

30 years war
100 years war
russo japanese war

any sort of historical slice of life

like walking dead, just without zombies and in medieval times, where people died around the age of 30 anyway

Spanish civil war

muh wars

grow up

the story of a family through the height of mycenaea, troy, the bronze age collapse, sea peoples invasions, exodus, the kingdom of judaea, its conquest and the return of the jews by cyrus, everything historically accurate and a possible natural explanation, including an explanation for the plagues of egypt

no big budget needed because it will be about commoners watching events unfold from the bottom of the heap, this also gives writers some leeway as they can introduce challenges for characters to overcome which affect them at a low level and don't contradict wider events

Cahokia slice of life/romcom set around 1150 AD

how about wall to wall 19th century britbongs in top hats doing nothing but building shit and going into detail about the engineering with only the occasional deferential irish/indian/peruvian laborer waiting cap in hand for instruction

The Anabasis is literally begging for an adaptation I am too but I wouldn't want Hollywood to be doing it

>where people died around the age of 30 anyway
That includes baby fatalities. They'd live 'til 60.

The kidnapping of the prince of Sealand.

Diogenes anecdotes but only as a mini-series

Become a writer, filmaker or commission what you want to see.

Whineing about why there isn't a story set in your favorite war won't do.

Golden Age of Piracy

Myceneans/Eastern Med kingdoms in the Bronze age/sea peoples

There is a great multi-part movie about the French Revolution that is quoted from time to time. It has obvious Robespierre as one of the main characters.

i want a yugoslav war movie with a shitton of turbofolk in it

>Winter War
Great potential for personal stories of patriotic soldiers and civilans
>Roanoke colony
First European contact with New World and setting up of first distant overseas settlements. might have been fun if you put some generic slice of life story into it to wrap it around in
>Life story of Pizzaro
Literal swineherd, that went to try his luck in the New World, was present during discovery of Pacific, helped setting up first Spanish cities in Panama and discovered and conquered Inca realm.
>Movie about Portugese arriving in Indonesia
It could be interesting to see the cultural clash, and how Portugese were setting up their trade routes and interacting with locals
>30 years war
Literally Game of Thrones, but actually good

It would also be a cool to make a movie about some of the Mediterranean colonial empires, like Venice or Genoa, but i don't really know any good event there, except maybe some Venetian-Ottoman wars

Movie about Aztecs that does not include Spaniards

But we'd need skill or money for that.

>you will never see a movie set in the Sumerian Empire
>you will never see a movie depicting the life of Cyrus the Great
>you will never see a non-shit tv series about the Warring States Period
>you will never see a tv series about the Diadochi Wars
>you will never see a movie about the gory Sack of Baghdad
>you will never see a tv series about the rise and fall of the Song Dynasty
>you will never see a tv series about the French Religious Wars
>you will never see a non-shit movie about the Deluge
>you will never see a movie trilogy depicting the battles of Djerba, the Great Siege of Malta and Lepanto
>you will never see a tv series about the 30YW
>you will never see a movie depicting the epic Anglo-Dutch Naval Wars
>you will never see a movie about the First Balkan War and all the real-life butthurt it would trigger
>you WILL see lots and lots of movies about the Holocaust or WW2 though

why even live

but there is a non-shit movie about deluge already

But why would you even think about the other five thousand years, when you can make another holocaust movie?

Fall of Constantinople

>Mehmet II forcing his men to bring the ships on shore
>the pursuit of the small Venetian boat by the Turkish navy
>Constantine XI's last stand

The most obvious one: Battle of Vienna. I'm not sure why Hollywood haven't capitalized on it yet.

>Muslim invaders
Very problematic.

Where do you learn this?

The life of this man.

>I'm not sure why Hollywood haven't capitalized on it yet
its a mystery

>tfw no movie adaptation of Anabasis

xD stick it to the merchant!

>Find any random youtube video about Battle of Vienna or generally Christian-Muslim wars
>90% of comments are "Yeah kill dirty mudslimes, free Europa!"
People are too stupid to face history

t. Rasheed

>tfw no movies about jewish-roman wars

There is a historic picaresque novel about the 30-years-war, called Simplicius Simplicissimus.

It's the funniest, brutal and epic shit ever.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplicius_Simplicissimus

It would be a good way to move away from the "noble muslims" and ebul christians" narrative that Hollywood has been pushing

detonate yourself mudslime

if they played it out like a house of cards/taboo type thing itd work

>you will never see a movie depicting the epic Anglo-Dutch Naval Wars
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiel_de_Ruyter_(film)

In which films has Hollywood been pushing that?

Is there an issue with that?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Interesting_Narrative_of_the_Life_of_Olaudah_Equiano

The story of a man going from a free young man in Africa, to a slave in the Americas, to then working as a sailor all over the world.

I honestly don't understand why no one has turned this into a tv-show yet.

The history buffs would love it because it gives an opportunity to show off the entire world at that given period (just add a few episodes of him being in Antarctica, East Asia and Australia, who gives a fuck, the original was mostly embellished anyway).

And the SJW-crowd will love it because it shows a black man with a leading role in mostly white history.

On a somewhat similar note, a Star Trek style tv show following the voyages of James Cook would also be absolutely brilliant.

Yeah I was also thinking about this guy.
He was so good, that the anglo and french main battle fleets had to unite to crush him, and even then he somehow came out on top

There are like hundreds of those made in Spain during or in the few years after it.

nice double dubs.
He is probably talking about Kingdom of Heavens, though thats the only example I can think of aside from some Lawrence of Arabia stuff.
And desu, Saladin was indeed the good guy there

Yeah make a movie about people sitting a room and discussing politics for 2hours, porbably gonna be fun to watch.

War is the continuation of politics by other means

^ You probably heard this one, even without reading the book.

Kingdom of Heaven is pretty much that, since it reinforces the public's knowledge of the crusades being the worst thing ever

Rivalry amongst charlemagne' s sons

I'd live to see a movie about one of the various pagan rebelions during the christianization of Europe, maybe Poland or Hungary.
Also the Prussian Crusade and the Baltic pagans' last stand against the Christians. Would be pretty epic, depicting them as unknown martyrs and heroes dying for the beliefs of their forefathers
>inb4 fedora

"why are you complaining instead of casting, writing and directing your own feature film"

this is why this site is a joke

Peloponnesian War
William the conqueror
PlantagenĂȘt vs Capetians
The Golden Horde
The Reconquista
The Hundred Years War beginning at the execution of Jacques de Morlay
Battle of Vienna
Protestant vs Catholics in France (which is basically a gigantic proxy war)
Indian Wars in North America
French revolution +Napoleon Era

You could make a 20 years series with England vs France.

Hollywood is the least risk taking entertainment industry in the world.
Also americans can't watch a movie if it doesn't explicitly mentions Murica unless it is a peplum.

movie set in the neolithic middle east

HBO miniseries on court intrigue in the Byzantine Empire.

I would like to see an Apocalypto-tier film, but set in the Inca Empire.

Something in the Byzantine Empire would be fun too: perhaps the Byzantine-Sassanid War of 620.

A movie about the Albigensian Crusade would be fun as fuck. Make the protags a group of Cathars trying to find refuge or something.

A movie about the Mortara Affair would be amazing: it has all the potential to be a great drama.

I'd like a series on the Mongols btfo-ing everyone

>season 1: early Life of Ghengis, invading China
> Season 2: Khwarizmians and Persia
> Season 3: Subetais cavalry raid, Ghengis going back to China
> S4: Invasion of Europe, Ghengis death

The British expedition to Abyssinia in the late 19th century. The British spent billions marching an army into the highlands of Ethiopia to rescue 3 hostages from a mad king, with loads of crazy Ottoman hi-jinks going on. Thematically the whole thing could work as showing the old world of inter-tribal warfare being swept away by the forces of modern warfare and empires. Emperor Tewdoros killing himself using a modern handgun gifted to him by Queen Victoria after his fortress is stormed would be a lovely climax.

Of course, Byzantium would make the best setting for a HBO series.

Nezahalcoyotl would make a good movie, he had an interesting revenge epic.

That or the siege of Guiengola, it's got romeo-juliet type romance, glory, battle, mystical stuff, twists and it was pretty grandscale, the invasion on a Mesoamerican level. I think 100,000 Aztecs fought it in, including their auxilliaries.

A comedy about the life of Alcibiades.

The guy was a total fucking madman. His life is like something out of a black comedy, with him popping in and out of famous historical events and having a huge impact on world history. It's like he was a time traveller.

That movie was shit except for the parts with charles dance

>And desu, Saladin was indeed the good guy there
So was King Baldwin, and most of the Christian cast for that matter. Even RIchard Lionheart for the 5 seconds he's there is presented as an amicable guy.

Sounds more like people wanting counter-propaganda to something that doesn't exist.

Vin Diesel says the only reason he makes shitty movies is because he hopes one day he can fund his dream movie of a historically accurate account of the life of Hannibal Barca.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vh1kuxrD0Vw (talks about it at the 4:00 marker)

I would love to see him get to play the lead since he's clearly passionate about this little bit of history that deserves more attention than just "that guy who brought elephants over the alps".

Like in this thread: wars, wars and more wars. Those who are rare.
Also more naval movies.
Also the heroic age of Antarctic exploration obviously as it's probably the most interesting period that gets so overlooked.

Rabban bar Sauma was kind of like the Chinese Marco Polo. I think it would be cool to see what perspective they have of European society, especially since he was a Chinese-Mongol convert to christianity and spent his life creating diplomatic ties between the Mongol empire and Europeans. Especially interesting is how there was almost a Franco-Mongolic alliance at one point in history.

The Battle of Qadesh.

I want a TV series about the Russian Civil War.

ALL EMBRACE ME

That's the Soundtrack taken care of

>movies

HBO does better anyway. Not very much history can be covered in a 1h45m film.

>Watching films that short
Step it up senpai.

The Bronze Age collapse outside of the Trojan War

Been writing a script for a few years now about a biography of Friedrich II. I've written a lot about his life with dad and his Baron bro, and his love in London. I've written several bits on what could be the climax with the wars with Austria. Honestly it's been very hard to write. I'm trying extremely hard to be historically accurate and going for film flair.

>they'd live til 60

wrong. even accounting for infant morality the average adult lifespan at death was around ~45 in the middle ages and classical antiquity. living to 60+ was a rare and noted exception.

I've also been writing about Louise and Friedrich Wilhelm III. I think their relationship is a pure love and makes a great story. Louise standing up to Napoleon. The two learning from mistakes to making Prussia into a great power again through reforms.

Honestly. This.

Maybe that's because most Christian-Muslim wars were initiated by Muslims?

The political maneuverings of Narses, Theodora, Belisarius, and Justinian along with other players in that time period would be brilliant. It has everything viewers today want; sex, violence, intrigue, politics, so I think it could get mainstream normie appeal too. The episodes around the Nika revolt would be amazing

Central Asian romance. Make it a series or franchise so it follows the lives of multiple brides.

Man, it feels like he hates his movies.

Rape of Nanking

The world needs to learn what the Japanese did and apologize for letting it happen. It should be recorded in every school textbook and their should be a commemorative holiday. The reparations must flow.

I feel like Vin Diesel seems like a legitimately cool guy. I hope he gets a studio to take him on to make the film he wants to make.

>that fat, disgusting face

DELET THIS

But yes a movie around the Rape of Nanking would be very good

Holy Shit. That looks absolutely terrible. Fuck Bioware.

House of Thrones
About the Hapsburgs, maybe focused around the War of Austrian succession & Maria Theresa, or HRE politics with the 30 Years War

The Japanese are a bunch of wankers and little pussies. They would get mad and proceed to bash it, because the Yamato are incapable of doing evil.

NIHONGO BANZAI!

>NIHONGO

The "go" refers to language.

imdb.com/title/tt1410063/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_11

Chris Chan?

What's that? Gettysburg?

Lawrence of Arabia.

what is the warriors.

I want more XVII century things.
The goat century.
gimme 30 years war movies.
gimme dutch golden age movies
gimme mughal india movies

I always thought a movie focusing on the early exploits of the US navy would be a very good, Like a movie that focuses on the life of a single ship during its lifetime of service from the revolutionary to the Barbary and Quasi wars, up until the War of 1812 when it's eventually sunk trying to fend off multiple British warships at the Battle of Lake Erie. Would be a good twist on the typical war movie imo.