How could the brits lose Gallipolli?

How could the brits lose Gallipolli?

>lose
It pressured the Ottomans to concentrate their forces there which gave us a great advantage in the Middle Eastern Operations among other things. Also who won the war anyway?

Lloyd, have you forgotten to take your pills?

>how could the brits lose a battle against an entrenched enemy on his home turf in mountainous terrain with only the sea for supply?

IT'S OVER CHURCHILL, I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND.

S A L T
A
L
T

>If at first you don't succeed with a soft underbelly, try try again...

By being gigantic cowards who dug in and stopped advancing immediately. This allowed Turks to reinforce their positions.

>who won the war anyway

The USA, unequivocally.

>this is what americans believe

Well America got a whole lot of debt owed to it but then immediately shat on all the influence gains by going isolationist. Meanwhile Britain gained even more colonies and was greater than ever.

If we go by gains Britain won WW1 while USA and USSR won WW2.

They win even if they didn't join the war.
They lost nothing when old Euro powers bleed to death.

>If we go by gains Britain won WW1 and WW2.
ftfy

t. ETERNAL churchill

logistics, mainly.

Landing the troops was hard enough with Ottoman shore batteries pounding them all up the Dardanelles, ships trying to deliver food, ammunition, supplies, and weapons would always be under fire and many would sink trying to get to the Peninsula, after a year the task of trying to keep those soldiers supplied was clearly failing, so they gave up the effort.

>who won the war anyway?

considering the brits getting btfo led to attaturk gaining power and reputation across anatolia, kickstarted the turkish war of independence, btfoing the french in the south, btfo greeks in the west. and finally recapturing constantinople from the british (((without a single shot being fired))) and reversing the partition of turkey set in sevres.

id say the turks won honestly.

how can one man be so based

I've been to Gallipoli, the place is pretty damn rugged. I'm honestly amazed that they even managed to get off the beach at all.

The lack of surprise due to incompetence from the navy is why they lost fundamentally.

>id say the turks won
I suppose, if you don't count loosing an empire and all its oil to Britain

You seem emotional

Simple. During the critical early hours of the amphibious landings, a low-level division commander by the name of Mustafa Kemal realized that the Chunuk Bair ridge and the Sulva plain which it dominated were the key to the entire operation. He ordered all Turkish forces in the area to march to and seize the ridge- drastically exceeding his authority in the process. He would probably have been shot had the move failed - but it didn't.

The Turks took the ridge mere hours before the British could (and the Brits had only 2-5 miles to march compared to over 20 for many of the Turks- "underdogs", right?) and in fierce fighting managed to hold it. From that moment on the Turks never relinquished the strategic heights, and the rest of the Gallipoli campaign pretty much consisted of British Generals wastefully throwing away the lives of thousands trying to take it.

In one decisive move Kemal crushed the dreams of the Entente to knock Turkey out of the war in one swift blow. That he had no authority to make the move did not deter him. The Allies having far more firepower and half a million well-equipped men against a third of a million troops ended up not mattering. Because Kemal did not miss the forest for the trees, and utilized outwardly simply but ruthlessly effective strategies to repulse them. His opponent, Hamilton, was a highly educated general who utilized much more "advanced" tactics- but it ultimately didn't matter.

I guess there's a lesson there.

>it's an Ataturk gets worshipped post

It's simply the truth.

Half of this board worships Ataturk and desu I see nothing wrong with it.

This right here. Ottoman history always leaves me irrationally queasy, but if that word can be applied to anyone, Ataturk was a genuinely 'great' man.

t. Churchill

Hey, whered that empire go Britian, didn't you start WWII with one of those?

Türk here. Eternal leader mustafa Kemal pasa Ataturk will live forever.

Please westerners stop planting shadow pisslamist societies in my country.

Britain gained nothing from WW2 and lost its leading position to USA. WW2 set up the fall of the empire.