Redpill me on Buddhism

Other urls found in this thread:

accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/godidea.html
catholicstand.com/how-to-meditate-like-a-catholic/
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meditate
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

stone man bump

Buddhabump

Stirnerism with actual methods of de-spooking.

>The basis of Buddhism is a doctrine known as the Four Noble Truths. The First Truth is that all life is suffering, pain, and misery. The Second Truth is that this suffering is caused by selfish craving and personal desire.

Stop desiring things

"Life is so shitty here, just try not to think about it."

This is the ultimate redpill :)

Right? At least other religions try to give you ways to solve problems.

>When asked once, "How much money is enough money?" He replied, "Just a little bit more."

Seems like a really ustistanable way of thinking. Like always being on a tredmill while chasing after "a little bit more."

And so I fall in love just a little ol' little bit
Every day with someone new
I fall in love just a little ol' little bit

I wake, at the first cringe of morning
And my heart's already sinned
How pure how sweet the love beneath it yeah
You would pray for him

'Cause God knows I fall
In love just a little ol' little bit

The concept of Buddha represents an ideal self that is conscient of the emptiness of life, but sees it in a neutral way instead of the depressed-i-want-to-die kind of way.

That seems to be about long term continuous improvement in small increments. Most I've read about buddhism is just, "blah everything is the way it is, sit down and accept it."

>According to Buddhologist Richard Hayes, the early Buddhist Nikaya literature treats the question of the existence of (Creator) God "primarily from either an epistemological point of view or a moral point of view". The Buddha in these texts is portrayed not as a Creator-denying atheist and someone who claims to be able to prove such a God's nonexistence, but rather his focus is other teachers' claims that their teachings lead to the highest good.[4]

>Citing the Devadaha Sutta (Majjhima Nikaya 101), Hayes states, "while the reader is left to conclude that it is attachment rather than God, actions in past lives, fate, type of birth or efforts in this life that is responsible for our experiences of sorrow, no systematic argument is given in an attempt to disprove the existence of God."[5]

This is part of why Asia, despite it's long lasting culture and high intelligence averages, can't really science.

King James Bible
Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,

Hm. Why would this be?

It's a mental system of pain management. There's nothing spiritual about it. Buddha just hated Hinduism and made his own lifestyle choices.

They were getting instructions very soon to go to a man's house in Macedonia.

From that vision, Lydia was saved, and Lydia became a very important patron of Christianity.

bottom center is my favorite

People still get their panties wet about Buddhist position on God, creator God, universal God, etc.

Its been firmly refuded in Buddhist sutra, early and later stages of the development.

accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/godidea.html

Here's the official Buddhist position from a Theravada pov.

>Naraka (Sanskrit: नरक; Pali: निरय Niraya) is a term in Buddhist cosmology[1] usually referred to in English as "hell", "hell realm", or "purgatory". The Narakas of Buddhism are closely related to diyu, the hell in Chinese mythology. A Naraka differs from the hell of Christianity in two respects: firstly, beings are not sent to Naraka as the result of a divine judgment and punishment; secondly, the length of a being's stay in a Naraka is not eternal, though it is usually very long.

So it was just telling them to not take a detour?

Most Buddhists believe there are gods, but they don't consider it effective or appropriate to worship them. In many ways gods are a lower form of existence than humans, in the Buddhist tradition.

Yes.

The amount of spiritual maturity it takes to not go where the Holy Spirit nudges you not to go, and to go where the Holy Spirit nudges you to go, is profound.

fortunately, since science is just pure nihilism

King James Bible
Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

King James Bible
But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

Are you Chinese?

Buddhism is wrong about metaphysics and psychology, but right about the best treatment: Meditation is a marvellous tool that will help almost anyone and it should be as widely taught as sport and athletics.

Buddha said it first. Also Buddhism is closer to Mormonism in that you can reincarnate as a god, if you fail to achieve reincarnation as a human or enlightenment. Better than an animal, worse than a human.

I agree.

>psychology

I found a lot of it reasonable, maybe lacking in modern accurate definitions though. Care to elaborate?

Also, meditation is 5/5.

>king James bible
Leave

>rating things out of 5

>not reading the real bible

>Only eastern religions practice meditation
The amount of ignorance surrounding Catholicism and Orthdoxy is staggering.

Life is not suffering. Life is beauty and joy as well as suffering. You don't have to withdraw from the world in order to live a "good" life. No doubt the Buddha was an astute guy, his grasp of human nature is amazingly profound for such a long time ago, but his focus on metaphysics (the whole "problem" of reincarnation) lead him to error.

Mystical contemplation is not meditation.

>fat Henry wanted to divorce his wife
>lets start a new sect
Cringe

>actually thinks real Catholics and Orthodox don't meditate

Still no proofs I see.

>tips fedora
stop it you fucking hipster

Most buddhist eat meat.

I don't know if that's true but I don't see why it's relevant.

catholicstand.com/how-to-meditate-like-a-catholic/

Christian meditation is similar but different, i.e. it's goals still leave you spooked.

>rating things out of 5
It's a meme you dip :DDD

Yeah I can agree. I've found that a synthesis of modern psychological understanding and meditation can really clear things up.

>It's a meme you dip :DDD
haha well played

Its relevant in the same sense that Buddha's advice on not eating meat and disapproval of God/s.

Just because the lay people eat meat and believe in multiple gods doesn't mean thats the right way to be a Buddhist.

>It is the act of quieting the mind and heart in order to spend time reflecting upon God and His works, seeking a deeper understanding so that we might discern His will more clearly.

This is not meditation.

So you're just pulling a no true scotsman.

Well.. if God is our own internal voice then yes it is meditation.

Oh yes sure, you can worship a god and be Buddhist or be a full fedora-tipper and a Buddhist, Buddha himself said many times that he was just some guy and this was just, like, his opinion. The essence of Buddhism is meditation, particularly the metta and za-zen methods.

No, its just how Buddhism works. Lay and monks have different standard.

Lay is often faith oriented, laxed on ethics, morals, standards.

Taking a lay buddhist's position and claiming thats Buddhism isn't exactly correct.

God isn't our internal voice dummy, the point of meditation is to demonstrate to yourself that that "inner voice" is just an illusion.

Can the same be applied to Christianity or Islam?

King James Bible
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

King James Bible
Pray without ceasing.

>just an illusion
this is the bullshit that makes Buddhism seem like complete garbage

Since the reformation in Christianity, it no longer applies.

In Islam, there are no division, its Allah and everyone else.

Try it for yourself. Meditation is easy to do and once you see it, the illusionary nature of your "self" seems almost comically obvious, but it's one of those things you really do have to experience for yourself to understand.

that you think those two contradict each other is hilarious

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meditate
Seems to refer to definition one.

I love meditation and it has done a lot of good in my life. I just think your interpretation of its goal is flawed.

>No, its just how Buddhism works. Lay and monks have different standard.
>Taking a lay buddhist's position and claiming thats Buddhism isn't exactly correct.

Those two statements contradict each other. Unless you're gonna claim only monks can be budhist, you don't even have a point to make. "My religion is different from yours" stops being an argument the second your claim means that those perceived as your coreligionists are not.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

>It's a "only my definition of a particular thing is correct" episode

Sure, but that's just an equivocation. I could likewise claim your post is dangerous and should be banned, because a post can also be a big wooden pole.

I'm only talking about the za-zen side, but once you achieve the state of unmind, it's impossible to ever look at your own "self" the same way again.

If you think quite contemplation is meditation then we're not talking about the same things and you're just playing a word game.

Its not contradictory.

You have a customer service representative that can say stuff about the company it works for, and you have the CEO/board of directors talking about the company.

Both can have different standards, however can still be seen as representing the company. However what the CSR says and what the CEO/BoD says weight differently.

Similarly, what an average christian joe says and what the church says have different weight. Average joe christian may believe in aliens and blacks being a subspecies, but a church may hold opposite opinions. They don't contradict, the church simply supercedes the opinion on what a christianity represents.

So you, mr, no ego, need to go out of your way to remark that the Christian definition of meditation "isn't correct" as opposed to just being a different version of the same thing.

If your meditation is really working and you live without ego, why do you even care?

What I'm saying is that you're talking about something completely different. You can insist we use the same word for both things, when talking about those things, if you wish, but you're literally just wasting your own time.

>Buddhist meditation = a lot of "ommmmms" clear your mind
>Christian meditation = a lot of prayers, clear your mind
What am I missing?

The Om thing is Hindu, the use of mantras is indeed very like the repetition of prayers for Christians and achieves the same goal, a "communion" with your god. Meditation does not use chants or mantras, it's a breathing and concentration exercise more like a cross between yoga and self-hypnosis. The goal of religious mantras is self-gratification, the goal of meditation is to become aware of your own mind and thru this to directly alleviate the psychological tensions that lead people to mantras in the first place.

So now, both Hindus and Christians are wrong? Wow, I guess Buddhist are the only people to really meditate. The rest just think they are but really aren't.

Because the only goal of meditation can be awareness of your own mind, right? Meditation couldn't possibly have other goals.

Its to commune with our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

He's saying that while you can define whatever you want to mean whatever you want ("Videogames are meditation :^)"), in the Buddhist context, the vast majority of Christian/Hindu meditation practices are not, under the Buddhist definition, meditation and as such do not aid in enlightenment.

A lot of things. Just go read about Buddhist meditation more, if you care enough.

So it's a sect thing? Now I get it. I was under the impression he actually thought Buddhist had a monopoly on what one should direct meditation to, which would just be retarded.

>Redpill me on Buddhism
Buddhism in nuce: how you're able to commit suizide even though you have something like an immortal soul.

Honestly, that's pretty much all Buddhism is about. Don't get me wrong, it contains some impressive stuff (especially from a philosophical point of view), but at the end of the day it's only a very elaborated way to say:

1, Life sucks.
2, Since life sucks it's better to kill oneself
3, ...oh fuck, Hinduism tells me I have something like an immortal soul, so I can't just kill myself
4, I have to get a certain insight to be able to kill myself nevertheless and there is a certain way (Buddha's teachings) to get this very insight.

Fascinating and impressive sometimes, but at the end of the day nothing but a depressed teenager's slipslop.

The deva asked: "What causes ruin in the world? What breaks off friendships? What is the most violent fever? Who is the best physician?" The Blessed One replied: "Ignorance causes the ruin of the world. Envy and selfishness break off friendships. Hatred is the most violent fever, and the Buddha is the best physician."

The deva then asked and said: "Now I have only one doubt to be solved; pray, clear it away: What is it fire can neither burn, nor moisture corrode, nor wind crush down, but is able to reform the whole world?" The Blessed One replied: "Blessing! Neither fire, nor moisture, nor wind can destroy the blessing of a good deed, and blessings reform the whole world."

The deva, having heard the words of the Blessed One, was full of exceeding joy. Clasping his hands, he bowed down before him in reverence, and disappeared suddenly from the presence of the Buddha.

>"What causes ruin in the world?
Sin.

>What breaks off friendships?
Sin.

>What is the most violent fever?
Spiritual death.

>Who is the best physician?"
Jesus.

23 Then he said, "You will undoubtedly quote me this proverb: 'Physician, heal yourself'—meaning, 'Do miracles here in your home town like those you did in Capernaum.'"

>buddhism thread
>quoting bible versus
Epic

It's a conformist religion that preaches indifference, placidity and accepting injustice without resistance.
It's only real purpose is as a tool for governments to enable their totalitarian rule.

t. Liberal faggit
Kys

>It's only real purpose is as a tool for governments to enable their totalitarian rule.

so like every religion ever?

>Redpill me on Buddhism

But user, Buddhism IS the ultimate red pill.

I don't repeat people who mock Jesus, no.

Bluest of the blue pills. "Ignore your problems and they will go away."

Some ''problems'' are self imposed and conditioned delusions, i.e. they are not real. So it's needless masochism. Loot to /r9k/ for an example. See where their ruminations get them.

Buddhism is the Green Pill dude
>healing chakra

Chakra stuff is from Hinduism, m8

Buddhism is wrong on the afterlife, had nothing to say about Jesus, and is completely useless after you die, and face Jesus.

It's not all about Buddha. He was just a guy who said some things.

It's all about Jesus. He is the guy who made the universe.

I'm not a Buddhist. I just use some of their methods.

Are you a recent convert to Christianity if you don't mind me asking?

jesus a faget

>reads religious text
>WHAT THE FUCK MAN Why doesn't this religion state that it itself is wrong and say that MY religion is the right one!?

No, I've been a Christian longer than most posters here have been alive.

Because it's wrong.

See, mine covers yours.

"There are many ways that seem right to a man, but they all end in death."

>asking a fundtard to make sense

Fool me twice etc.