I'm completely ignorant about world history. My entire knowledge is:

I'm completely ignorant about world history. My entire knowledge is:
>'ancient Rome' was around 500 BC
>the Greeks were before that
>WW1 happened because some archduke was shot
>WW2 was in the 40s
>Americans had a civil war while Lincoln was president
>Russia was once even bigger but for some reason split up
>England used to be a huge empire in the 1800s?
What's a good book for my dumb ass to read?

Other urls found in this thread:

learner.org/resources/series58.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Start with the Greeks.

Veeky Forums please.

Start with the Mesopotamians

I know this is a meme, but is there any truth behind it?
I just want a base level of knowledge about key events

Watch these.

learner.org/resources/series58.html

Thanks, those look good. I'm personally after a book but I'll use these for specific topics

A high school history book? Not even being ironical.

Just don't bother, if you survived this long without that knowledge you probably won't need it as well in the future.

>England

Well it wasn't the Welsh.

Burger education

Pretty much this.

>went to a bad school in childhood
>wants to continue his education independently in a field that interests him
>eurocucks mock him for his efforts, while himself not knowing how to help him

Mehmet, please be kind.

in 1492 columbus sailed the ocean blue

and in 1215 the magna carta was signed at Runnymead

pretty much everything you need to know about history

>monks chanting "the earth is flat"
Literal bullshit.

I'm doing Maths at a top 5 university in the UK

>I know this is a meme, but is there any truth behind it?
No.

just play ck2, euiv and victoria ii
nice

Get a high school textbook or some other general book. If you're into some detail you could go with A History of Western Civilization. It covers most of Western history

>that book
>anything to do with world history

it's a popular science book

Greeks infuenced more or less directly the whole European civilization, so if you want an actual understanding of history and its influence on today's world than yes.

But if you want to just learn the basics to not be an ignorant fuck this is pretty much your best bet, since it's exactly what it was written for. I don't know how good are British schoolbooks, some of those here in Poland are pretty good. You should probably pick slightly more advanced book, since they tend to be more objective and less filled with political agenda, while still focusing on the most important stuff.

>I'm doing Maths at a top 5 university in the UK
God fucking damn it, I hate those presumptuous math-fags who despite being unforgivably ignorant in all other fields claim to be cultured and intelligent people or even to be better than rest of society because muh maths queen of sciences. I don't mean to offend you OP, it's nothing personal. Perhaps you're actually a fine person despite your blatant lack of historical knowledge. I just met so many arrogant pricks like that that it instantly triggers me.

>tfw you will never write a complete eleven set volume of historical works covering the entirety of world history with your gf

why are we even doing this

cover looks pretty eurocentric

Dr. Jonathan Green is considered one of the preeminent authorities on the history of western civilization and the official Veeky Forums approved academic historian. You can find many of his lectures free of charge online.

At least learn about basic history from your own country so things can at least sound familiar. Start with basic questions and move from there.

>Who was my first president.
>When did this party originate.
>Why is this person from my country historically important.

So where are you from op?

Just lurk here daily for about a month and you should establish an interest in a certain time period. You'll able to find some book recommendations in those threads, and just go from there.

Eh lurking here without knowing anything will skew your view of world history. More general knowledge really is needed before you delve into particular time periods also.

That's what Veeky Forums is for, starting OP out on general knowledge.