Indian history seems very interesting to me

Indian history seems very interesting to me.

Is there any other country which has had so many different religions and groups be in charge over time?

No tired memes, please. I actually want to talk about their history.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaisalmer_Fort
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysorean_rockets
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congreve_rocket
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehrangarh_Fort
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golkonda#The_Fort
youtube.com/watch?v=9sEWBZZWmco
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabharat_(2013_TV_series)
youtube.com/watch?v=CsssIFQI4VM
unexplainedstuff.com/Afterlife-Mysteries/The-Mystery-Schools-Pythagoras-c-590-c-520-b-c-e.html
sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta15.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Is there any other country which has had so many different religions and groups be in charge over time?
The Balkan countries.

India's more like a continent (if Europe is one, then so is India) which was only unified under British rule, and even then not really. Before that it had never been unified, and even the partial unifications under the Mauryans and Mughals were brief and contested. The number of different groups in power isn't really that surprising when you think of it as a continent/sub-continent instead of a country.

History of India written by non indic people mainly Europeans at the hight of race wars and every one of them projected their own theories. Indic people did not care about history. I mean to say you won't get real history.

I'm reading India: A History now and it is a pretty good book.

As that other poster said, the issue is a lot of the past is obscured from us and much of waht we have is more legend than history.

-t eternal anglo

Post interesting Indian things

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaisalmer_Fort

>Jaisalmer Fort is one of the largest fully preserved fortified cities in the world. It is situated in the city of Jaisalmer, in the Indian state of Rajasthan. It is a World Heritage Site. It was built in 1156 AD by the Rajput ruler Rawal Jaisal, from whom it derives its name. The fort stands amidst the sandy expanse of the great Thar Desert, on Trikuta Hill. Before the days of the British Raj, the fortress city served as a refuge and way-station for caravans and travelers along the Silk Road. Its ramparts served as the backdrop for many battles in past centuries when the Silk Road still served as one of the main trade routes between East and West.

What's interesting is that people still actually live and work in it.

latin, greek, and sanskrit actually come from one lost mother language "indo-european language" as it is sometimes called. Interesting is right!

Surprised I've never seen this before.

Anyway, Mysore rockets were pretty cool and became the basis behind European rocketry. It's interesting to me that Europeans were still copying some technology from Asia at such a late stage, when it's usually assumed they were militarily and technologically superior in every way.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysorean_rockets
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congreve_rocket

When I went to India I went to a shitload of random forts, pic related was probably my favourite.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehrangarh_Fort

Those rockets are neato.

I'd love visiting India but from I've heard it's very filthy

Forgot pic.

It is in parts, mostly in cities. Thing is though, it's not worse than China. Or really any other third world countries. There are parts of the Philippines that are infinitely worse.

>can't tell if those are walls or is the fort built on a carved rock

Fucking moron

>when it's usually assumed they were militarily and technologically superior in every way.
But they mostly were far behind Europe in everything.

>mauryan and gupta rule were contested.
>british hodgepodge with 500 odd princely states was true(unity)
kek.

yeah. I have visited that place twice. Pretty great for the most part. I like how indian forts in general didn't have the star fort system that euros eventually devised since artillery was not that well advanced and the fortified city system in Rajasthan helped the cavalry based armies of the rajputs fight the mughals in a war of attrition.

>being confused by that picture.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golkonda#The_Fort

This is a literal dwarf fortress with the entire (carved in the mountain bit)

Reminder that India is rightful Buddhist clay.

Do not listen to the heathen lies

fuck off ambedkar.
Your historigraphy is shoddy.

>mauryan and gupta rule were contested.
Neither the Guptas or the Mauryans even came close to unifying the subcontinent.

>british hodgepodge with 500 odd princely states was true(unity)
I said it wasn't you illiterate retard.

>vassal states don't count.
k

Tamil Temples

youtube.com/watch?v=9sEWBZZWmco

bump with weapon, because I am out of buildings.

They had some brutal shit back then

>Shankar
>Schanker
>Schenker
Is he related to Michael Schenker?

Have there been any films based on wars in India?

mahabharata

The Arabian peninsula was an extremely religiously diverse place until it got MUHHAMADED, and the people there today pretend like none of it ever happened.

I just want to know one little thing? When did they started shitting in public?

Lindy stop posting on Veeky Forums

Fuck off away from Veeky Forums.

Since forever, long story short.

>asking questions are not allowed in /hiss/

This? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabharat_(2013_TV_series)

>MUH EBIN /int/ MEMES

Fuck off. It lowers the tone of discussion and I'm sick of seeing it every time I want to talk about the country.

India has the coziest forts, mate

You should focus on answering and dispelling those hurtful (does it hurt you?) stereotypes, or if it is true, just laugh about it.

Being upset about it makes it worse. The whole "POO IN LOO" meme started because several Indian posters were unironically mad and they sperged about it in multiple threads, only encouraging people to spread the meme.

Damn, a rare photo of it not covered in horrible smoke and mist. I think Delhi was the only place that I found really matched the meme about India being disgusting.

As says though, the rest of the forts are turbo comfy. The one in pic was one of my favourites, especially for how weird it was to get into it.

Basically it was designed to be really easy to defend, so there's only one route in. It's pitch black, designed so it goes back on itself, traps would have been used back when it was in use, and it's now full of an absolute shitload of bats.

These are the bats

And this is the single entrance.

youtube.com/watch?v=CsssIFQI4VM
Bajirao Mastani

No English version I suppose.

I think there is a subbed torrent of the movie, its called Bajirao Mastani so you should be able to find it

I wonder if such a single entrance isn't a risk of not being able to get out.

When you were a beseiged fort getting out wasn't really something to consider. Besides, if you really needed to you could probably get down the side with rope. An attacking army wouldn't be able to get up though.

I guess that Indians hated sorties.

It was literally an austic Australian on proxy.

He also spread the Shart in Mart meme and some Americans embarrassed him with some excerpt about Australian soldiers getting butthurt about Americans stealing their women in WW2.

*after

it actually has more going for it as a continent than europe does, because india is on a separate tectonic plate than asia, unlike europe.

Pakistan is the superior country.

First plastic surgeon in 600 B.C came from India. His name was Sushruta.

Ancient Chess in India. 4 player game.

Buddhist Stupa

Around 500 BCE, Aryabhata presented a mathematical system that took the Earth to spin on its axis and considered the motions of the planets with respect to the Sun. He also made an accurate approximation of the Earth's circumference and diameter, and also discovered how the lunar eclipse and solar eclipse happen for the first time. He gives the radius of the planetary orbits in terms of the radius of the Earth/Sun orbit as essentially their periods of rotation around the Sun. He was also the earliest to discover that the orbits of the planets around the Sun are ellipses.

He is the first known astronomer on that continent to have used a continuous system of counting solar days. His book, The Aryabhatiya, published in 498 AD described numerical and geometric rules for eclipse calculations. Indian astronomy at that time was taking much of its lead from cyclic Hindu cosmology in which nature operated in cycles, setting the stage for searching for numerical patterns in the expected time frames for eclipses.

Aryabhatta is said to have been born in 476 A.D. at a town called Ashmaka in today's Indian state of Kerala. When he was still a young boy he had been sent to the University of Nalanda to study astronomy. He made significant contributions to the field of astronomy. He also propounded the Heliocentric theory of gravitation, thus predating Copernicus by almost one thousand years.

Ancient Infian trigonometry measuring the distance of the moon and sun relative to the earth.

Takshashila University established around 2700 years ago was home to over 10500 students where the students from all across the world used to come to attain specialization in over 64 different fields of study like vedas, grammar, philosophy, ayurveda, agriculture, surgery, politics, archery, warfare, astronomy, commerce, futurology, music, dance, etc. Famous graduates of this University include the ones like Chanakya, Panini, Charaka, Vishnu Sharma, Jivaka etc. This is the world’s oldest university.

Iron pillar built around 400ce.

Pretty sure they were the real inventors of algebra, too.

Numerical system

Did it catch on?

And tell us about the Indian explorations of the ocean.

When did they get 0?

Since Buddhism introduced the concept of "Shunyata" but it was added into the numerals around the 10tha century.

The value of "Pi" was first calculated by Budhayana in the 6th century.

>The value of "Pi" was first calculated by Budhayana in the 6th century.
What, the whole thing?

Bhaskaracharya, in his Surya Siddhanta wrote: "Objects fall on the earth due to a force of attraction by the earth. Therefore, the earth, planets, constellations, moon and sun are held in orbit due to this attraction." It was not until 1687, 1200 years later did Issac Newton "rediscover" the Law of Gravity. Approximately 1200 years later (1687 AD), Sir Isaac Newton rediscovered this phenomenon and called it the Law of Gravity.

Yes. He was also the true inventor of the Pythagorean Theorem.

दीर्घचतुरश्रस्याक्ष्णया रज्जु: पार्श्र्वमानी तिर्यग् मानी च यत् पृथग् भूते कुरूतस्तदुभयं करोति ॥

dīrghachatursrasyākṣaṇayā rajjuḥ pārśvamānī, tiryagmānī,
cha yatpṛthagbhūte kurutastadubhayāṅ karoti.

A rope stretched along the length of the diagonal produces an area which the vertical and horizontal sides make together.

Now, I'll concede that I don't know if these claims are accurate, but it seems to me that the problem these guys have is that they might have invented something, but they did fuck all with it.

Say what you will about people like Newton, but at least they took advantage of their inventions.

>Yes. He was also the true inventor of the Pythagorean Theorem.
It's possible for two people to discover something independently. Though IIRC Pythagoras probably ripped it off from one of his weirdo cultists.

India went to shit shortly after that period due to external invasions followed by a regression to feudalism.

>Approximately 1200 years later (1687 AD), Sir Isaac Newton rediscovered this phenomenon and called it the Law of Gravity.
The Law of Gravity was much more than that, it actually gave a mathematical expression for the force of that attraction as a function of distance and mass. That’s why Newton became influential and important, and Bhaskaracharya simply didn’t.

Thanks for your meme science image, but it doesn't really affect what I'm saying.

My point is that it's like the Greek guy that invented the steam engine but just used it as a toy. Part of the importance of inventing something is having the foresight to see how it can be used.

Pythagoras had travelled to Egypt, China and India. India is where he learned geometry and trigonometry. When he returned to Greek, he established his own school where his teachings were supposed to be in secrecy. His students spilled the information to the outsiders. An outsider wanted to become his student but Pythagoras denied him. Shortly after his school was burned down.

This sounds like it's made up. Do you have a source?

>My point is that it's like the Greek guy that invented the steam engine but just used it as a toy. Part of the importance of inventing something is having the foresight to see how it can be used.
Easier to just make a slave lift everything desu

no
spreading the knowledge should be priority.
Applications is also not always needed, dont fix what is already working... (exemple: greeks and romans don't need steamengins, they got slaves) Applicating for the sake of application is capitalist mentality

unexplainedstuff.com/Afterlife-Mysteries/The-Mystery-Schools-Pythagoras-c-590-c-520-b-c-e.html

>Applications is also not always needed, dont fix what is already working... (exemple: greeks and romans don't need steamengins, they got slaves)
Local maximum. A more advanced steam engine beats slaves by a bunch.

>Applicating for the sake of application is capitalist mentality
Application is its own reward, just like knowledge.

Another source: sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta15.htm

Ok, so he went to India, but the claim that they taught him everything about maths is a bit disingenuous.

>yes
But Pi is endless?